SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-04-08, 02:37 PM   #1
650SFTT

Default Helibars

Hello everyone, I have a K3 650S and find it uncomfortable to ride for long periods, looking at the forum Helibars and ABM kits seem quite good, does anyone have either or any recomendations?

Old 16-04-08, 04:58 PM   #2
Aiki

Default Re: Helibars

http://www.convertibars.com/HowitWorks.cfm

there's also these that give you a choice between sporty and comfy depending on how you feel.
Old 16-04-08, 05:45 PM   #3
DoubleD

I have the ABM kit and it is really good, but you already knew that

I have not used or tried any of the other kits / bars so can't comment on them.
Old 16-04-08, 10:18 PM   #4
Needsy

I had the ABM kit from Streetfighterstore. Very expensive, but really nice quality, and comes with all the bits you need (including SS brake lines etc).
I did find the clutch cable from the faired bike was a bad fit, so I fitted one from an unfaired bike (?14 from Suzuki), and it was far better.

These ABM jobbies were on offer on eBay a little while back.

One thing though - if you are quite tall the ABM kit can make everything seem a bit too close, and the bars are drawn very far back. Hence I sold my kit and went back to clip ons.

Hope this helps
Old 17-04-08, 06:14 AM   #5
650SFTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsy View Post
I had the ABM kit from Streetfighterstore. Very expensive, but really nice quality, and comes with all the bits you need (including SS brake lines etc).
I did find the clutch cable from the faired bike was a bad fit, so I fitted one from an unfaired bike (?14 from Suzuki), and it was far better.

These ABM jobbies were on offer on eBay a little while back.

One thing though - if you are quite tall the ABM kit can make everything seem a bit too close, and the bars are drawn very far back. Hence I sold my kit and went back to clip ons.

Hope this helps
I am 5ft 10" ish, so should be ok? Does the ABM kit change the riding style to a naked version? New a set like that you can pick up for ?270 and Helibars for ?190, either one is quite expensive hence looking for used.
Old 17-04-08, 06:25 AM   #6
650SFTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiki View Post
http://www.convertibars.com/HowitWorks.cfm

there's also these that give you a choice between sporty and comfy depending on how you feel.
Thank you Aiki, looks good but would give me more choice than i think would need, kit is £240 for basic and you would need to buy longer hoses etc. Helibars looked good because you use stock hoses, am happy to tinker with bike but brakes???

Old 17-04-08, 06:29 AM   #7
650SFTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
I have the ABM kit and it is really good, but you already knew that

I have not used or tried any of the other kits / bars so can't comment on them.
Thanks DoubleD, already been very helpfull (have pestered with pm) ABM looks best but not happy that i could fit and having a garage doing it does not go with me being a tight git!
Old 17-04-08, 07:24 AM   #8
gettin2dizzy

Do a few long trips on it; you'll soon build up the strength. 600 miles in a day is easily do-able.
Old 17-04-08, 05:04 PM   #9
Jackie_Black

I put helibars on and it makes the seating position a little more upright, and it feels like you can fling it round a bit more but i still get a bit sore after a few hours. Although the original clip ons did really hurt after a while so there is a definite improvement.

But if I had to do it all again i'd keep the painful bars and get sticky rubber or new springs so the bike feels less like a tractor!!
Old 17-04-08, 11:31 PM   #10
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

http://www.raask.se/e4.jpg

Adjustable handlebars, less complicated than the collet-clipons which you'll never bother to change position of anyway.

IMO start with gripping the tank properly, setting the levers to the right angle etc. before doing expensive mods!