SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 28-09-14, 11:32 AM   #51
Spank86

Default Re: Petrol stations and helmets again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
never ever dropped my helmet from hanging it off a mirror yet. i have however seen lots of them being dropped from seats and petrol tanks.
I did. One bloody week old.

Only put it there to pick up a cleaning rag I'd dropped.
Old 29-09-14, 10:01 AM   #52
tactcom7

Recently I pulled up to my local BP, had my pump authorised and started filling up. Got about 5 litres in and it stopped and I was asked to remove my lid via tannoy, after I just shook my head 'Well I can't restart the pump in that case'. Quick shrug of the shoulders and off I went.

Kind of wimped out a few hours later as it was my Dad's bike and didn't want him getting a visit from the plod (if it would even get this far for £7?), rang them from work and paid on the way home. She explained that they'd also had a lot of ride offs from bikers using pumps 7 and 8, the ones nearest the road and thats why they had the helmet rule. So the next time I went to pump 1, a good 30 metres from the road and was still asked to remove my lid. So no points for consistency there!
Old 29-09-14, 04:58 PM   #53
JulesW

If I was fuelling my bike at a service station and half way through they cut the pump and asked me to remove my lid. I would go inside to the desk and pay with my helmet on. At no point would the lid come off. If they accept payment then fine, if not I would video the scene of me offering payment followed by the cashiers refusal to accept followed by me leaving the station.

My helmet is another person's burka. AFAIK, the burka is legal in this country so the garage can get stuffed.
Old 30-09-14, 10:41 AM   #54
Viney
Mega Poster

I have never had a problem in all the years that i have ridden my bike. You lot must just look well dodgy. Sometimes i remove my lid, sometimes i dont dependent on what i a fel like. If i was asked i would. Whats the bloody problem.

You lot are just so angry
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-14, 12:09 PM   #55
Corny Gizmo

I have been asked to remove my helmet once - I obliged, the cashier just laughed when under my helmet was a balaclava, and took my payment.

I have also had the pump left off because I was sat on the bike, my girlfriend wasnt even on the bike...

I had the argument of "I need the bike upright to brim the tank", just got told it was company policy blah blah blah.

I also share the view of whats the point if you have already let me put fuel in the bike, either take the payment or im off.
Old 30-09-14, 04:59 PM   #56
JulesW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney View Post
Whats the bloody problem.
Perhaps you didn't read the thread. For some folks its a right palaver with intercoms, earplugs etc. etc. Try reading the opening post, I think it was by Jayne Flakes and she describes why it is a nuisance for her.

Personally I not that arsed apart from the fact that it is a stupid request and a waste of time.

Something that p1sses me off way more is when retailers, at the point of sale, try to extract all manner of personal details during the transaction. They want emails, addresses, phone numbers, inside leg measurements and all the while I'm thinking 'bag the goods, take payment, issue the receipt and then I can get on with my day'
Old 04-10-14, 08:26 AM   #57
Grant66

Sorry to resurrect this debate, but it may be of some interest.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/myth-bust...=9%2F29-sep-14
Grant66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-14, 02:34 PM   #58
Griff-SV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant66 View Post
Sorry to resurrect this debate, but it may be of some interest.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/myth-bust...=9%2F29-sep-14
Good find.
Old 06-10-14, 03:07 PM   #59
SvNewbie

Lets do a straw poll, anyone here been injured while filling up?

Anyone been injured while riding?

I'm pretty sure the number in the second group is at least 10 times the number in the former. For now I'll continue sitting on my bike while filling up.
Old 06-10-14, 04:47 PM   #60
Messie
The Teacer
Mega Poster

I had a really horrible experience. It didn't in the end, but it could've ended in severe injury.

I was sitting on my Mille, with my helmet on and the bike upright, filling it to the brim.

I hadn't expected it to fill so quickly, so that when it was full it then sprayed out, all over the place, and into my visor and helmet, and therefore eyes.
I was blinded for several minutes and had to shout out for help to get off the bike and put the nozzle back in the pump.

I will never keep my helmet on again when filling up my bike (or car for that matter ). I can't say that the overspill wouldn't have happened if I hadn't been wearing the helmet, but I'm sure as toast that if petrol sprays up again into my face, I want to be able to get it off quickly.

Horrible, horrible experience