SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-07-19, 05:12 PM   #1
LingMu

Default Bike died - SV650 2016 AL7

Hi guys
Could I please have some advice from you. Last month, I bought a 2017 model (2016 reg) Suzuki SV650 on 4000 miles from a dealer. This afternoon, on my way back home from work in central London, the bike died after 3 minutes of riding. It started like it was coughing and jerky and finally came to a stop. The red light on the right hand side of the dash came on.
I did let it cool down for a few minutes before restarting it which it did without any issues. However the bike died again. So I called the dealer where I bought it from. They told me that due to the hot weather, the bike could cut itself out and advised me to let it cool down before riding.
I want to ask if you guys have experienced the same problems with SV650 and is it true that bikes could act this way in hot weather? Yes, It was indeed very hot today at 37° in London but surely in other parts of the world, it can be much hotter?
Many thanks!
LingMu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-19, 05:14 PM   #2
LingMu

Default Re: Bike died - SV650 2016 AL7

and by the way, a very kind fellow biker did stop to offer help. The brotherhood is amazing!
Old 25-07-19, 05:42 PM   #3
Dave20046
Mega Poster

What temperature did you see on the display?

Having ridden through Spain, in whether warm enough to melt my tank pads off (perhaps not quite as warm as Britain today ... but nearing it) I’m inclined to think the dealer is kindly trying to shrug their responsibilities. You want to make sure this is documented as I’m presuming you’re still within a 3 month warranty period which will soon be gone .
Old 25-07-19, 05:46 PM   #4
shiftin_gear98

Is there any water in your rad/ expansion bottle.?
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-19, 06:09 PM   #5
LingMu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
What temperature did you see on the display?

Having ridden through Spain, in whether warm enough to melt my tank pads off (perhaps not quite as warm as Britain today ... but nearing it) I’m inclined to think the dealer is kindly trying to shrug their responsibilities. You want to make sure this is documented as I’m presuming you’re still within a 3 month warranty period which will soon be gone .
It was at the second temperature bar at the first time then third bar second time so the bike wasn’t even warm yet.
Thanks Dave
Old 25-07-19, 06:11 PM   #6
LingMu

Will check now!
Thanks Gear!
Old 25-07-19, 06:50 PM   #7
Craig380
Mega Poster

Don't listen to the dealer's bullsh*t, these bikes are watercooled and designed to run in climates like California and Southern Europe where it's mid-30s / early 40s celsius for the entire summer. Don't let them fob you off with such utter nonsense.

Take the bike back to them and demand they sort it under their warranty. Do not pay a penny for any 'diagnostic fees' or other such crap that they may try on with you. ANY fault that shows up on a car or bike within 6 months of purchase - whether the vehicle is brand new or used - is assumed in consumer law to have been present at the time of purchase and it is the dealer's responsibility to fix it.

Sorry for the rant, but dealers who try and pull that sort of stunt do not deserve to be in business.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-19, 07:01 PM   #8
LingMu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
Don't listen to the dealer's bullsh*t, these bikes are watercooled and designed to run in climates like California and Southern Europe where it's mid-30s / early 40s celsius for the entire summer. Don't let them fob you off with such utter nonsense.

Take the bike back to them and demand they sort it under their warranty. Do not pay a penny for any 'diagnostic fees' or other such crap that they may try on with you. ANY fault that shows up on a car or bike within 6 months of purchase - whether the vehicle is brand new or used - is assumed in consumer law to have been present at the time of purchase and it is the dealer's responsibility to fix it.

Sorry for the rant, but dealers who try and pull that sort of stunt do not deserve to be in business.
Thanks Craig! But those guys did seem genuine and very professional. But I do agree with what you said and will bear that in mind.
Ride safe mate!
Old 25-07-19, 07:08 PM   #9
Seeker
Mega Poster

The red light on right side of the dash has 2 functions, coolant temperature light (overheat light) it also indicates low oil pressure. If you only had 2 bars showing then it wasn't overheating (it hadn't yet reached normal operating temp), the red light came on because the engine had stopped and the oil pressure had dropped to zero.

Did the yellow malfunction light (MIL) on the left come on or start flashing?
It almost sounds like the tank isn't venting properly which would cause fuel starvation. Do you have anything resting on the tank that blocks the fuel filler?

Craig is right, though - if you've only had it a month the dealer needs to take a look. Was it a Suzuki dealer?

Last edited by Seeker; 25-07-19 at 07:14 PM.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-19, 07:16 PM   #10
SV650rules
Mega Poster

My AL7 normally runs on 3rd temperature bar even in less than 10degree ambient temperature. As others have said bikes and cars designed to run from almost minus 40 to plus 45 or more... The things that may cause premature overheating would be a clogged radiator matrix or a rad cover that restricts the air flow too much, or lack of coolant. If as you said if temp was only showing one or two bars that is not even up to normal operating temperature. Don't let dealer fob you off put any problems to find within 30 days in letter or e-mail ( put them down in writing, a phone call or talk with dealer will not count as evidence - you need a paper or email trail ). The normal thing is that you can reject the bike within first 30 days if you are not satisfied with dealers response, and any problems that show within first 6 months are considered to have been present when you got the bike and the dealers responsibility to fix. But get your problems to the dealer in writing...

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote