SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-10-06, 04:49 PM   #1
sweepdoggydog

Default Racing

Hi,

I would like to try and get in to racing next year, however I'm slightly put of by the amount of money that its gonna cost, does anyone know of one of the cheaper entry levels, I've read hat there's a mini twin series where i could run the SV, and it seems that tuning is limited which should reduce the total cost, has any one raced at in this series or know anything about it?
Old 19-10-06, 07:04 PM   #2
chunkytfg

IIRC the website you need to be checking out is www.minitwins.co.uk

As for what you can and cant do....basically tuning wise your limited to a full race system, air filter and ECU remap or powercommander depending on your opinions on either method.

Suspension can be change to a new shock of your choice and fork mods providing the externals are the same as originally fitted.

And bodywork you like can be fitted mounted on lightweight subframes should you wish.

wheels have to stay the same along although discs can be changed.

And thats pretty much it bar the usual ACU regs like lockwiring and catch bottles etc etc.

Minitwins really is a cheap for mof racing although bear in mind when i say cheap you are probably looking at in the region of 5k for your first year not including the cost of building the bike.

Any other info you need should be on the website if not feel free to ask here as I know of at least 3 people on this forum who definately know whats what plus me(ish!!)
Old 19-10-06, 07:46 PM   #3
Blue_SV650S

What is your budget?
Old 19-10-06, 09:33 PM   #4
sweepdoggydog

I dont really have a budget, I understand that its going to cost a fair bit, i've heard about 8k is about average, but i would like to enter a series that will limit the cost to tune and mod the bike. I was going to sell my SV but if it is a good bike to have in the mini twin series i'll keep it?

I still have limited experience, is there a novice type league? i understand that even the novice league will still be at a high standard, but is there a good place to start for novices?
Old 19-10-06, 09:48 PM   #5
weazelz

the cb500 cup is a cheapish series to get into:

http://ukracer.net/cb500/

*very* limited mods, one tyre - bt-090's, etc.
Old 20-10-06, 08:41 AM   #6
Jdubya

Suzuki have launched a new race series and it costs about £12000 for the series. Includes the bike and leathers and all sorts of other goodies. Have a read over HERE
Old 20-10-06, 10:22 AM   #7
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdubya
Suzuki have launched a new race series and it costs about £12000 for the series. Includes the bike and leathers and all sorts of other goodies. Have a read over HERE
Sweepdoggydog If you can raise £12k; do it! It sounds like a bargain to me. (Depending on how much stuff you have already, I don’t think you could set yourself up and have a competitive first season for <£12k).

It's not the cost of the stuff that is cheap; but the fact you are 'buying' a level playing field. It couldn't be more even, could it?

I am going to check there isn’t an age limit on it and consider applying myself!
Old 20-10-06, 10:30 AM   #8
DanAbnormal

Well I know next to nothing about racing. Apart from the idea is to get round in one peice.

But I heard that many a new racer go out and try to get on a 600cc machine without really a clue as how to ride the bike on track. When I get into racing it will be with a little ZXR400 or similar. Can be picked up for about £1000 (may need some work!!) but also parts should be cheap enough to source from t'internet. Of course as I am not an authority on this I am purely going on someone else's info (Team Splodge to be precise) so feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Dan
Old 20-10-06, 10:41 AM   #9
pete m

Take a look at our Start Racing series - i think its in Features section, all about minitwins as well - tells you all about licences and whta you ll need etc...

click below
Old 20-10-06, 10:42 AM   #10
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_dan
Well I know next to nothing about racing. Apart from the idea is to get round in one peice. ...

No the idea is to win (or get as far up front as possible)!!! If getting round in one piece is more important to you than trying to win, then racing isn’t for you!! :P

sweepdoggydog-

The new BEMSEE 400cc rules make it a cheaper class to be competitive in than it ever was (they now have a low power limit). But minitwins is also a less budget dependent series too. Don’t be fooled though, there will still be people out there with big budgets.

As for using your bike, by the time you have upgraded the suspension and made it race ready you would probably have been better off flogging yours as a road bike and buying a 2nd hand ‘race package’. Race bikes don’t fetch as much as road bikes.

At the end of the day, it all depends on if you want to be competitive or just be ‘out there’!!

p.s. I raced* SS600, one of the biggest money pits classes of all!!

*now semi-retired, still do the odd round.