SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-10-18, 01:51 PM   #1
ll_Woolley_ll

Default Trying to find parts for a K8

Hey guys/girls,

I've recently become an owner of a decent conditioned K8. Haven't had much time on the bike yet due to work.

I have fitted a r&g tail tidy. Got some led indicators on the way.

I am wanting to get rid of the rear seat, I've found a cowl the same colour as my bike, but can't find the infills for getting rid of the grab rail. Any ideas?

Also I've seen people on here on about changing the forks and front brake for a gixxer set. Is it worth doing or is it just more visual?

Where is the best place to find parts for the bike? From what I can find all the genuine parts are discontinued.

Chris
ll_Woolley_ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-18, 03:16 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Trying to find parts for a K8

cowl shutters are hens teeth... biggest mistake new SV riders make is buying the cowl without the shutters.

GSXR front end and decent rear shock is only an option if your a decent rider who can make the most of it or ride a lot of miles.

my advice is get a decent aftermarket shock such as a Nitron sprung and valved to your weight/riding. new front fork springs and oil again matched to your weight.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-18, 03:44 PM   #3
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ll_Woolley_ll View Post
Hey guys/girls,

Where is the best place to find parts for the bike? From what I can find all the genuine parts are discontinued.

Chris

Most consumables (pads etc) can be got from all the usual places like Wemoto, eBay sellers etc.

Have you got a front fender extender fitted? I'd do that and all the oil and coolant changes etc before doing any cosmetics.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-18, 05:07 PM   #4
ll_Woolley_ll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
cowl shutters are hens teeth... biggest mistake new SV riders make is buying the cowl without the shutters.

GSXR front end and decent rear shock is only an option if your a decent rider who can make the most of it or ride a lot of miles.

my advice is get a decent aftermarket shock such as a Nitron sprung and valved to your weight/riding. new front fork springs and oil again matched to your weight.
I've seen some people are now doing 3d printed ones, not sure if they're gunna be any good though. I saw somewhere someone said just cut the rail, I'd rather not if I can help it.

Fair one so just a basic overall of the suspension.

Cheers bud I'll look into that then.
Old 08-10-18, 05:10 PM   #5
ll_Woolley_ll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Most consumables (pads etc) can be got from all the usual places like Wemoto, eBay sellers etc.

Have you got a front fender extender fitted? I'd do that and all the oil and coolant changes etc before doing any cosmetics.
No I don't have a fender extender. The bikes fully faired, an extended front fender might not go well with the look of the bike. Unless they serve some major be all and end all function?
Old 08-10-18, 05:12 PM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

its not just the shutters but spraying them the correct colour and the attaching metal bar. 3d printed stuff is pretty tough.

depends on how many miles the bike has done it might need a looooot more than just a suspension refresh.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-18, 05:22 PM   #7
ll_Woolley_ll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
its not just the shutters but spraying them the correct colour and the attaching metal bar. 3d printed stuff is pretty tough.

depends on how many miles the bike has done it might need a looooot more than just a suspension refresh.
First bike so don't really the proper services. Done little over 15k, not sure what was done before I got it but the books all stamped and it had a 21 point check, mot and oil and filter change.

Is there anywhere to find out the service intervals and what to look for and that? The guy at the shop said I'll just figure it out. Not really that helpful.
Old 08-10-18, 05:50 PM   #8
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ll_Woolley_ll View Post
No I don't have a fender extender. The bikes fully faired, an extended front fender might not go well with the look of the bike. Unless they serve some major be all and end all function?
Fender extender is pretty essential if you want to keep the front cylinder running when it's wet out.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-18, 05:59 PM   #9
zsv650s

Gixxer front end waste of money unless your racing try it before you start spending cash for nothing they ain't bad standard.
zsv650s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-18, 06:01 PM   #10
ll_Woolley_ll

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
Fender extender is pretty essential if you want to keep the front cylinder running when it's wet out.
Well... when you put it like that. I had a quick look, seems to be loads about for a decent price. Cheers bud.