SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-06-07, 06:23 PM   #1
LouLou

Default Recommend me some crash bungs!!

Seeing as I spend so much time horizontal rather than vertical I want to get some crash bungs for my SV...what should I go for, are R&G's worth the price or are any of the cheaper alternatives just as effective? I'm not so fussy about something that is going to save the bike at speed...just something to help me lay the bike down in a less damaging way lol

I've noticed some crash protection is frame mounted and some use the engine mounts...what are the pro's and cons?

Ta everyone
Old 24-06-07, 07:10 PM   #2
jamessunhill

Default Re: Recommend me some crash bungs!!

I can't recommend R&G highly enough.

They may be quite expensive (compared to the others out there), but they do the job!

I came off my bike a few weeks ago (dropped it onto the left hand side at about 40mph) and the R&G bung on that side saved major damage to the bike (and to my left leg too). Details here.

I had the old style fitted, and contacted R&G about a replacement bung. They told me they no-longer carry them in stock, but they would sell me what they call an upgrade kit (actually a complete kit) for half the normal price.

Now that's what I call customer service! I just need to wait for payday now.

Going off what I've read from other members, some of the cheaper versions, don't fare to well in a crash. Some have brackets which bend and crack fairings.

The new R&G kit is £70 plus P+P (if you order from them direct), but in my opinion it's money well spent! (The kit for the fully faired Pointys is £90 + P+P)

This is how their new kit fits on a curvey.

Their website is here

Last edited by jamessunhill; 24-06-07 at 07:22 PM.
Old 24-06-07, 07:17 PM   #3
LouLou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamessunhill View Post
I can't recommend R&G highly enough.

They may be quite expensive (compared to the others out there), but they do the job!

I came off my bike a few weeks ago (dropped it onto the left hand side at about 40mph) and the R&G bung on that side saved major damage to the bike (and to my left leg too). Details here.

I had the old style fitted, and contacted R&G about a replacement bung. They told me they no-longer carry them in stock, bet they would sell me what they call an upgrade kit (actually a complete kit) for half the normal price.

Now that's what I call customer service! I just need to wait for payday now.

Going off what I've read from other members, some of the cheaper versions, don't fare to well in a crash. Some have brackets which bend and crack fairings.

The new R&G kit is £70 plus P+P (if you order from them direct), but in my opinion it's money well spent! (The kit for the fully faired Pointys is £90 + P+P)

This is how their new kit fits on a curvey.

Their website is here
Thank you!! They look like they'd do the job...the bracket looks good too imo. I have a naked curvey and £70 seems worth it for what you get compared to other kits...glad you were ok after your spill btw
Old 24-06-07, 07:21 PM   #4
jamessunhill

Looking at the design of the new version, it looks like it'd stand up to a slide even better than mine did (as you can see from my pic, it pulled the bung half way out of it's socket).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouLou View Post
glad you were ok after your spill btw
Cheers. I was fine and I made it to the TT (rode about 400 miles on the island and had several runs over the mountain)
Old 24-06-07, 07:25 PM   #5
LouLou

Nice one can't wait to get out on my SV...love how it looks, how it sounds, all I can do atm is sit on it in my garage lmao
Old 24-06-07, 07:28 PM   #6
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

I reckon Moto sliders or Moko sliders are better than R&Gs (But I've got R&G's cos they were £10)
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-07, 07:53 PM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

Yeah, I agree with Stu. I had the old R&Gs, the ones that everyone hated, and they did sterling service for me- perfect performance on 2 occasions, very impressed. Saved me a fortune. But then I got the new ones, and honestly I think they're not good enough... Superb design but the bung's too weak. You see far too many stories of low-speed (under 40mph) lowsides and them snapping right off without hitting a solid object, that's bad. Some people have them snap off on impact with the ground and still think they're doing good work, which confuses me...

This is mine after a gentle lowside in gravel at, at most, 25mph. They did protect, but not as much as they should, the main bolt is only M10 and bent like a coathanger. The tapered base of the bung means a lot of force goes through that bolt. Add to this that the replacement parts were going to be £30 plus £8 P&P- for such simple, sacrificial parts that's too much IMO, when the entire bung set including the brackets was not much more than twice that. So, I got these:

Motosliders, which as you can see I finally tested 2 weeks ago. The damage is almost identical to the R&Gs, apart from the rear lever which was untouched. In fairness though, they're higher up and so more protected... But the crash was at higher speed, the bike went down harder, then slid into a kerb still carrying maybe 20mph. If it hadn't hit the kerb then it'd have not damaged the front fairing at all, or damaged the front lever and clipon- all that missing paint is still there, smeared into the concrete. So, faster harder crash, same damage, and most caused by hitting a solid object not the slide. Also, the bung was worn but not bent back (though they will break if they hit a solid object, they're designed to as all good bungs should be) so only one part had to be replaced (and it's suitably cheap)

Crash bungs are always a matter of balance. Too strong, and they risk creating damage, since if you slide into a hard object like a kerb, they have to either bend, break, or pass the impact on. Too weak, and of course they just bend or break. IMO GSG Moko, Motosliders and the old JHS ones all got this right. The old R&Gs nearly did, provided you got one of the sets with the right machining. The new ones IMO have it badly wrong.

However... The R&G design is brilliant. With a wide bung to spread the load, they'd be every bit as good as the competition, if not better. Perhaps a GSXR thou bung would do it. The only reason i didn't do this was the high cost of spares and postage. My motosliders cost less to ship from the US with a complete spare set of bungs and a set of swingarm bungs than a new set of R&Gs- and arrived faster too. You could do a lot worse than R&G...

Motrax DHMs are weak, even after they changed the design so that they were held on with more than 5mm of thread (credit to them there, I complained and they refunded me in full and changed the design shortly after, good stuff. Still a deeply flawed design, too long and too weak). Cheap, though. The OEM for the pointy are atrocious... The old Motrax ones are merely shoddy, too short to be useful but fairly strong. The metal ones you see are dreadful. Motovation are almost identical to the motosliders, for obvious reasons, they're a simple ripoff. So, they're a great buy but personally I wouldn't.

I would, and no doubt will, buy more Motosliders though. Good product, good price, good spares availability. What more do you want? Oh aye, also, that Pazzo front lever did absolutely brilliantly, it took a hell of a hit but was still the right shape. Far better than stock does, I'll be replacing it with another for sure and the last one is still good as a spare. Damage limitation can go beyond bungs.
But we're oh so easily swayed"

Last edited by northwind; 24-06-07 at 07:57 PM.
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-07, 08:02 PM   #8
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Bike Johnny make sliders similer to the motosliders in the UK.

Ive got a set on the SV, ive only chucked it down on the track, but there was no damage as i went into the gravel trap. So i cannot give first hand experiance of the damage protection they give. But the old R&G's in my experiance were not good either, two crashes ended up in the bungs just popping out of the cup holder.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-07, 08:18 PM   #9
svJvJ

Has anyone used the LOS bungs before. From the web site I'm very interested and the prices are very reasonable for what he claims to be good quality.

I really like the look of the billet ally ones see piccy attached.....

http://www.loscrashprotection.com/billet-big.jpg

Just interested if anyone has fitted/tested these before........Sorry to hijack a bit but it might be of interest to you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg billet-big.jpg (72.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 24-06-07, 08:20 PM   #10
hovis

not sure what ones i have, i think they are canadian? & they stick out quite far, they look like a trumpet?