SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 20-08-07, 04:51 PM   #1
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

Default help, speeding etc

well today i think i got clocked doing 43mph in a 40 by a mobile van camera, stupid really as there is always one there virtually every morning but i saw the van and bye the time i was along side it my brain kicked in "OH &%$£" i shouted.

question is will i lose my license, awhile ago i herd that there is a period after you pass your test where if you get any points you will lose your license, is this true or fubar. Also how long does it take before i get the dreaded letter, there was not the usual police bikes of cars waiting around so i didn't get pulled over.

also the van was unmarked except for the cross hatches on the back, no signs and no other plods about, but it i guess it will still be online as they wouldn't miss out on money.

cheers

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-07, 04:55 PM   #2
jambo
Mega Poster

Default Re: help, speeding etc

OK, first of all I'm guessing you weren't stopped, so at the moment there is no certainty you will be done for this. secondly 43 in a 40 I'd be very surprised if you were nicked for that. Could happen though. Should you get a Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP) go to the pepipoo site for the best advice. NIP must be within 14 days IIRC.
Old 20-08-07, 04:58 PM   #3
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

ok cheers but anyone know anything about the losing my license bit. really worried as i just sold my car and am relying on my bike for everything

also i did slow down and think i was at 40 when inline with the camera but cant be certain as i saw it so late

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Old 20-08-07, 05:01 PM   #4
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by «Ŵìđéßõ¥» View Post
well today i think i got clocked doing 43mph in a 40 by a mobile van camera, stupid really as there is always one there virtually every morning but i saw the van and bye the time i was along side it my brain kicked in "OH &%$£" i shouted.
43 on your clock is less than that in real life....... you probably won't get a ticket

Quote:
question is will i lose my license, awhile ago i herd that there is a period after you pass your test where if you get any points you will lose your license, is this true or fubar. Also how long does it take before i get the dreaded letter, there was not the usual police bikes of cars waiting around so i didn't get pulled over.
If, and it's a big if, you get a ticket for this you will get a conditional offer of 3pts and £60 fine.

As for the limits:
Get 6pts in the first 2 years after getting your first full licence (in any category - car, bike, whatever) will get you a ban. Thereafter its 12 points in (I think) four years.

So if, say, you passed your car test more than two years ago then you have the full 12 points to play with. A more recent bike test pass makes not difference - all it did was add another category to your exisiting licence.

Conversely, if you lose your licence then you lose the lot; makes no difference as to which vehicle you were caught on.
Old 20-08-07, 05:16 PM   #5
hovis

i would say if your speedo showed 43 in a 40, you have nothing to worry about
Old 20-08-07, 05:19 PM   #6
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
ok cheers but anyone know anything about the losing my license bit. really worried as i just sold my car and am relying on my bike for everything

also i did slow down and think i was at 40 when inline with the camera but cant be certain as i saw it so late
If you get more than 6 points in two years, then bye bye liscence and hello retest

If you where pulled for this "offence", then you'll only get 3 points max (i think)

Matt
Old 20-08-07, 05:23 PM   #7
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

ok cheers for the help guys

love the .org!

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Old 20-08-07, 06:08 PM   #8
mattSV
Mega Poster

Where was this Wideboy - just wondering, as most of the scamera vans I have seen in Soton are usually set up in a 30 limit???
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-07, 06:54 PM   #9
neio79

I would not worry about it, like others have sain 43 in a 40 wont even set it off. you would have to be doing at least a real 46 to get a tiket, which is more like a indicated 50.

I have had more than a few occasions where i thought have been done,, came from a 70 to a 40 still doing 50+ and thought Sh*t im busted by that van. Nothing happened so i can only think that they had either finnished o just seting up or the limit was set really high.

I know that some forces have high limits. My wife ahas helpfully informed me that the Wiltshire police arounf Chipppenham etc have the 60MPH one set at 70+ so ifthat is a real speed than you are looking at an indicated 75 before getting busted.

Also i am sure that the camera vans detectors have not been tested or type aproved for bikes, and that more than one case has been thrown out on that technicallity.

If yo uwere comming towards him and they were not using the new ones with 360CCTV to catch your rear plate then even less to worry about.
Old 20-08-07, 07:04 PM   #10
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero View Post
If you get more than 6 points in two years, then bye bye liscence and hello retest
Sorry, fella, I don't wish to labour the point but it is important:

It's 6pts in two years from the date of passing the test for the first category on your licence. Thereafter it's 12pts.

Therefore if Wideboy (sorry - can't be arsed with all those funny characters!) passed, say, his car test on 19th Aug 2005 (and then subsequently passed his bike test) and got zapped today (20th Aug 2007) and that took him to 6pts then he wouldn't lose his licence because as from taday he has 12pts to "play with".

in the above example the date that he passed his bike test is irrelevant under the totting-up rules since his car test was his first test.

Last edited by Jabba; 20-08-07 at 07:07 PM.