SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-01-14, 10:18 AM   #61
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

Default Re: Police cause SV650 to crash...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
People who think like that are the cause of the issues we have today, not the police or the riders. They are simply something these sad individuals can focus their animosity on at this particular time.
when it turned out the guy in the NY video was paralysed and in a coma people were saying things along the lines of "good he deserved it" or "shame he isn't dead" and no one actually knows if he was involved in it or just a bystander. Only the people that were there and did the deeds are the people that know what happened. Even the plods can't know definitively what actually happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
Gav, as much as I love you, 90mph in the fog on that road is excessive speed, whether the speed limit is 100, 200, or unlimited.

What a lot of people are failing to see is the copper, although staged, is irrelevant, a hazard can happen at any time, a sheep stepping out is far more likely than a copper with a hi viz jacket on, a sheep would be way harder to see in the fog too.
I've had a sheep step in to the road on me a few times but the worst was in October over the top gear road in Brecon, I was doing a fair old speed and came over a crest and there the sheep was just trundling into the middle of the road with his mate, it was wet but clear conditions, had it been foggy I wouldn't have seen it until much later.
Luckily I managed to shed a lot of speed off by which time the sheep had heard the faint growl of my arrow can and started to bugger off.

If I had collided with that sheep it would've been totally my fault, not the sheeps.
But it is of our opinion that he is traveling to fast. I have ridden the piece of road a few times at considerably swear wordy speed that was a lot faster than he was (ok not in fog) and it's surprisingly a very safe road to do it on.

If some pleb jumps out onto the motorway and gets clobbered by someone doing 70 mph in damp conditions is it then the drivers fault?. It's all very well for us to form an opinion on a video but without actually being there its not really valid as you can't see 100% of all the different circumstances. As for the sheep, the sheep still caused the accident whether it's your fault or not.

These kind of videos amuse me (much like the comments section on the daily mail site) as people form such ridiculous outraged opinions on very little information which is bias and usually wrong.

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-14, 10:19 AM   #62
Spank86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideboy View Post
How so? The argument is now that you should not travel faster than you can see/stop but who sets the guide lines of how fast you should travel in wet foggy conditions with no speed limit? . Firstly (I have only watched the vid once so could be wrong here) you could see the copper so thats the viewing argument possibly gone. Secondly, it's a sad pc state if every road user has to drive along worrying whether or not some pleb is going to jump out in front of them. Whether you agree or disagree that the policeman was to blame, it is for the courts to decide but when you think about it he was still the cause of the accident, if it wasn't staged you could argue as to why the policeman was there with a speed gun in the first place and why he stopped them.

And now all of that is completely irrelevant as there is no speed limit for them to be caught speeding and it was staged.

My point is all needs to be over now, much like the biker gang in NY vid this vid has sparked ridiculous arguments between cage drivers and bike riders all over social media. Bikers are of thinking that "the policeman should be beheaded in the name of jihad" and car drivers in the mind set of "the bikers should be be made to kill there entire family and killed themselves, what happens if a child was playing football ontop of that mountain next to a busy main road).
if you hit a vehicle in front of you then you were either going too fast or too close.

assuming that vehicle was either travelling in the same direction as you or was parked legally.
Old 07-01-14, 10:22 AM   #63
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank86 View Post
if you hit a vehicle in front of you then you were either going too fast or too close.

assuming that vehicle was either travelling in the same direction as you or was parked legally.
But you can't travel too fast on a road with no speed limit.

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Old 07-01-14, 10:26 AM   #64
Spank86

Quote:
But you can't travel too fast on a road with no speed limit.
yes you can.

You can travel too fast while below the speed limit, for example on a corner on a country road.

I've seen 30mph corners on 60mph lanes and if the police saw you crash at 50mph you WOULD be done for dangerous driving, or due care and attention.

He went up the back of the vehicle in front, he didn't hit the policeman, that would be different.
Old 07-01-14, 10:41 AM   #65
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

But without knowing his version of why he went up the back on the bike it's being blamed on his speed which is wrong. He could have not being paying attention, falen asleep, had a seizure, brakes failed and on and on and on..... multiple reasons.

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Old 07-01-14, 10:43 AM   #66
ClunkintheUK

I think it highlights admirably the issue of not riding for a while, then getting on a 'big' bike and trying to keep up with people who have lots of recent experience, even if you would have been able to keep up 15 years ago (i have heard that this is the single most fatal accident prone group on the road).

It seems to me that there was ample stopping distance for the speed and the fog (the VFR and the Ninja stopped just fine). The SV made a mistake, one that is easy for an inexperienced rider to make, not using the front brake properly in an emergency stop and needing to emergency stop as he mis-read the change in speed of the VFR, again easily done. Reading comments (i htink on youtube) everybody was fine, the SV rider said it was entirely his fault, though I still think the police man was a bit of a knob there.
Old 07-01-14, 10:43 AM   #67
ClunkintheUK

He said he didn't apply his front brake properly (youtube comments)
Old 07-01-14, 10:46 AM   #68
Spank86

Quote:
But without knowing his version of why he went up the back on the bike it's being blamed on his speed which is wrong. He could have not being paying attention, falen asleep, had a seizure, brakes failed and on and on and on..... multiple reasons.
If he'd been going slower he would have stopped in time, you can hardly deny that from the evidence?

With regards to not paying attention or falling asleep that's both the riders fault and if his breaks failed they did a remarkable job of locking up on it.
Old 07-01-14, 10:53 AM   #69
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank86 View Post
If he'd been going slower he would have stopped in time, you can hardly deny that from the evidence?

With regards to not paying attention or falling asleep that's both the riders fault and if his breaks failed they did a remarkable job of locking up on it.
If you can say then that he should have been going slower you can then say the poliman shouldn't have jumped out into the road.... and we're back to the previous page again.

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Old 07-01-14, 11:01 AM   #70
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Fair dues to the guy on the SV for fessing up.
Humans make errors.
It's how we learn from the that makes a difference.