SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 26-02-08, 01:44 PM   #1
DanDare

Default What constitutes work place bullying?

I am having a few problems at work at the moment with a certain individual.
Now he's the worlds biggest loser and I have nothing but utter contempt for him.

Recently we fell out because I ordered an item to his exact spec, but it was wrong. I told him I was trying to help and he called me a tw**. I lost my rag and told him I am not standing for abuse for helping out a colleague and told him to organise himself.

Anyway since then he has kept dropping comments everytime we pass in the office, then denies it when I confront him. I have had my time card hidden.
When I go past his unit I get verbally abused. He has also lied to my work friends about me. Its all about stirring things up.

No don't get me wrong, I am not a wimp of any sort or would normally go down this route, however knocking seven bales of sh** out of him would probably lose me my job. And I haven't got time to lower to his level.

So i have decided to lodge a complaint of work place harrasement to shake him up. I won't fully persue it I just want him to sweat a bit. Do I have enough to warrant a case, although there's no evidence.

What's everyones thoughts?
Old 26-02-08, 01:53 PM   #2
jambo
Mega Poster

Default Re: What constitutes work place bullying?

Evidence is a subjective thing. The whole point about bullying is unless he's daft enough to email you or leave a voice mail you won't be able to prove it so I'd go down the same route as people who have disputes with neighbours.

Log everything

Every time something is moved, a snide comment is made, a lie is told, write it down. It is then far harder for him to shrug it off when you manager sees it as "one or two comments being taken out of context"

HTH

Jambo
Old 26-02-08, 01:54 PM   #3
Flamin_Squirrel

Failing that, invest in a dictaphone.
Old 26-02-08, 02:05 PM   #4
Daimo

Put your mobile phone on record when you go past, see if you can pick it up and use it against him.

Failing that, burst the mofos tyres all round
Old 26-02-08, 02:05 PM   #5
Ol Boc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel View Post
Failing that, invest in a dictaphone.
It's better to use your fingers whilst in the office.
Old 26-02-08, 02:22 PM   #6
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
Log everything

Every time something is moved, a snide comment is made, a lie is told, write it down. It is then far harder for him to shrug it off when you manager sees it as "one or two comments being taken out of context"
Dan, I had a similar issue with one of my superiors in this job. As most folk on the org know, I don't take workplace issues laying down.

So, as Jambo has said, I logged everything, even if it wasn't to do with the person in question, it got logged. Half of the time I was logging things thinking "I'll never need to come back to this, but it's worth noting just in case it comes in handy in the future."

My method of choice was sending an email to my GMail account (plenty of storage there), and my GMail account was setup to auto-label and auto-archive mails with a certain keyword in the subject ("WorkLog" as it happens).

Then he sent an email to our entire team, which I interpreted as a snide comment towards me. It was an underhand type of comment, the type where most people wouldn't give it a second thought, but a couple of other people in the office have noticed what has happened, and they mentionned it to me too.

This resulted in me printing the email, and having a chat with my manager (this guys superior). Of course, he didn't believe me at first, so I told him about the log that I'd been keeping, and would he like to view it? He did, so I showed him.

The result, I've been moved to a different team with nothing to do with that person. My job hasn't changed much, and in fact, I'm actually working on the team I was originally employed to be on. There have also been other structural changes within the office meaning that staff can be more closely monitored.

I'm with Jambo, log everything, then when you really do need to complain, you come at them with a big gun!
Old 26-02-08, 06:04 PM   #7
gettin2dizzy

Just bring it up in a meeting/mention it in a place where everyone can hear so he knows everyone is aware of it. Failing that, **** his mother.
Old 26-02-08, 06:08 PM   #8
Miss Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDare View Post
I am having a few problems at work at the moment with a certain individual.
Now he's the worlds biggest loser and I have nothing but utter contempt for him.

Recently we fell out because I ordered an item to his exact spec, but it was wrong. I told him I was trying to help and he called me a tw**. I lost my rag and told him I am not standing for abuse for helping out a colleague and told him to organise himself.

Anyway since then he has kept dropping comments everytime we pass in the office, then denies it when I confront him. I have had my time card hidden.
When I go past his unit I get verbally abused. He has also lied to my work friends about me. Its all about stirring things up.

No don't get me wrong, I am not a wimp of any sort or would normally go down this route, however knocking seven bales of sh** out of him would probably lose me my job. And I haven't got time to lower to his level.

So i have decided to lodge a complaint of work place harrasement to shake him up. I won't fully persue it I just want him to sweat a bit. Do I have enough to warrant a case, although there's no evidence.

What's everyones thoughts?
Its interesting you ask this because I was thinking the exact same thing in relation to my job. I too have one particular individual whos behaviour makes me feel 'picked' on.

I dont think anyone else has managed to make me cry 3 times in one week

Maria
Old 26-02-08, 06:08 PM   #9
blueto

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy View Post
Just bring it up in a meeting/mention it in a place where everyone can hear so he knows everyone is aware of it. Failing that, **** his mother.
LOL. ! i like it"
Old 26-02-08, 06:09 PM   #10
Warthog

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy View Post
Failing that, **** his mother.
Hehehehe

Seriously, I would try to collect evidence, then go to his boss.