SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

The Border Patrol Covering North Wales, Shropshire, Staffs, Merseyside and Cheshire for SV650.org members, past, present and future

Old 09-02-11, 11:04 AM   #1
Telford_Tim

Unhappy Blown over

I write this post not in the search for sympathy but to make you all aware.

The other night I got a puncture on my way home and due to riding with ear plugs in didnt hear the gentle hiss of air leaking from my rear tyre when I parked up and put the cover on at home.

The next day we had high winds so took the car to work. As I drove home and dodged my way round the blown out fence pannels I was shocked to find by bike on its side!

All I can think of is that the lack of air in the back tyre made the bike wobbly and the wind getting in the cover pulled my bike over.

On inital inspection all I can see is a small slight scuff on the side of the exhaust and abviously the need for a new rear tyre.

Just out of interest has any one ever had their bike blown over before? flat tyre or not...???...

Tim
Old 09-02-11, 11:26 AM   #2
Owenski

Default Re: Blown over

Ahhhhh Mr Thread, I've been expecting you...

Not had my bike topple personally but I know you're not the first. Its worth not putting the cover on when its so windy thats for sure.

I left mine outside Uni last friday and at every oportunity I snuck a peek out at it to make sure it was still standing. Unfortunatly there is very little choice about which way the bike can face while parked there and the wind was hitting it side on, in the strong gusts it was noticeable that the bike moved. I'd imagine a cover will give that extra surface area for the wind to hit, and the increased air resistance will be just enough to topple most bikes.

Last edited by Owenski; 09-02-11 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-02-11, 12:42 PM   #3
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Very common to hear of bikes blown over in the wind. Most of the time they have covers on them. The flat tyre had nowt to do with it, essentially what you had done was attach a big sail to your bike so it caught more wind. The exact opposite of what you would want to do in windy conditions.
Sounds like there wasn't too much damage.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-11, 01:13 PM   #4
slark01

My old 125 was blown down the road a few years back. The SV I had was blown over twice. But thankfully now, I have a garage. None of the bikes had punctures, but after been blown over, plenty of scrapes.
I would never have thought that a motorbike could be dragged like that 125 was. Must admit, it was amazing and even a few of the neighbours were baffled.

Ste.
Old 09-02-11, 05:37 PM   #5
DaveP

MONDAY i came home to my bike on its side..

Today is the first day i have been able to see it in the day light.

Lowers are done with. Scrape on the can. Not best pleased to say the least!!!

Dave
Old 09-02-11, 05:42 PM   #6
metalhead19

I have had mine blown over at least once by the wind when the cover has been on. But the puncture may not have helped things. When i had a rear puncture, the bike would not lean on the stand at the same angle as it wouldnt roll onto the edge of the tyre. Basically meaning it stood much more upright and more unstable
Old 09-02-11, 07:58 PM   #7
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

I've been watching Pegs bike cover nigh on take off all weekend like a humongous balloon, and been worried when it would toppled over.
But then it is attached to the bus of all bikes, and it would take one absolute mammoth puff of air to get that thing on its side!

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-11, 01:41 PM   #8
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

The 1987 hurricane had my bike over. It had not ocurred to me to take the cover off as that nice Mr Fish had told us it would not be that bad...
Old 21-02-11, 09:49 AM   #9
Haggis Supper

Few years ago when I lived in Scotland the wind had my old GPZ500s over. Again it was covered !!