SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 20-02-11, 01:19 PM   #1
timwilky
Mega Poster

Default God, I am wooden

OK, I know I am not a riding god. But

Just been for my first proper ride since about October last year, nothing pushing boundaries, just trying to reassure myself. So in textiles, heated gloves. Hardly power ranger kit.

Firstly where the feck have all them pot holes come from on the back roads. You spend more time looking for holes in the road that are going to kill you than trying to see through bends.

Next which git put acres of gravel on the apex of every bend? Even though my tyres are warm and confidence inspiring, the roads are just not fit for riding in any way enthusiastically.

But my biggest problem. dragging my large backside round the seat. It is glued in one place.

But home safe. Only an extra 120 miles on the clock. Oh and pinlocks might be great but they dont stop my spectacles from fogging up at every t junction.
Old 20-02-11, 01:23 PM   #2
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: God, I am wooden

Not suprising Tim, I've not been out for ages either.

If its cold here at 5 deg I shudder to think what its like Oop North
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-11, 01:28 PM   #3
Specialone

I done about 150 miles yesterday in rain, dense cloud, roads were muddy as feck etc, me and the bike were filthy

I was on my DRZ though, slipping and sliding all the time, I didn't feel my best yesterday, kept expecting to lowside on every muddy corner.
Old 20-02-11, 01:32 PM   #4
Ch00

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
Oh and pinlocks might be great but they dont stop my spectacles from fogging up at every t junction.
I know your pain. I try and hold my breath. Don't work though
Old 20-02-11, 07:46 PM   #5
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
I was on my DRZ though, slipping and sliding all the time, I didn't feel my best yesterday, kept expecting to lowside on every muddy corner.
Glad you were like that, I didn't feel secure on the rubber yesterday at all. Had a few drifts at the rear end opening the throttle out of bends or turns, and I didn't push the front at all, but did have one little front slip on a roundabout. The semi-knobblies have less grip, but loads of feedback and plenty of warning, so it's not scary, but does make you realise just how little grip you actually have.

I was taking it really cautious and I thought I was holding you up.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 20-02-11 at 07:47 PM.
Old 20-02-11, 07:51 PM   #6
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
Glad you were like that, I didn't feel secure on the rubber yesterday at all. Had a few drifts at the rear end opening the throttle out of bends or turns, and I didn't push the front at all, but did have one little front slip on a roundabout. The semi-knobblies have less grip, but loads of feedback and plenty of warning, so it's not scary, but does make you realise just how little grip you actually have.

I was taking it really cautious and I thought I was holding you up.
Nope, not holding me up, shouldn't think that col, if I wanted to go faster I would've led.
I was too busy watching out for mud and potholes without having to think about going fast as well
Old 20-02-11, 07:55 PM   #7
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
Nope, not holding me up, shouldn't think that col, if I wanted to go faster I would've led.
I was too busy watching out for mud and potholes without having to think about going fast as well
OK, didn't know if you were sitting behind me because we were following my sat nav.
Old 20-02-11, 09:55 PM   #8
sv4me
Mega Poster

I took the duke out for the 1st time properly on thursday, to see a client in leyland so went via the twistys near bretherton. was lovely and sunny, grip wasnt too bad either! just need to learn how to keep the front wheel down now

Out today giving my dads kwak its 1st run of the year, just round southport. Potholes galore, big patches of gravel and freezing cold temperatures roll on spring
sv4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-11, 11:13 PM   #9
missyburd

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post

If its cold here at 5 deg I shudder to think what its like Oop North
colder! certainly feels colder anyway, hovering above freezing point atm. I've actually been enjoying my bimbles to work and back this last week as it got milder so took the long ways home (via little twisties and moor roads). Even though I've been riding all winter I feel I've lost a bit of confidence atm just down to the state of the roads as you say Tim. They're bloody awful, potholes everywhere you look, with fresh snowfall a few more appear, literally overnight! Hell, I'm just glad I'm on a 125 and not a nice big expensive bike, as although I've not had mishaps I've had a few moments where I've gone #gulp# and thinking "now if I'd been on a 500 I don't think I would have got out of that one!"
Old 20-02-11, 11:17 PM   #10
minimorecambe

I was on my way back from Devils Bridge the other week and messed my elbow up trying to keep the bike up right when I hit a pot hole, that was at least 3ft long x 1 ft wide, right after a left hand bend.
I was still banked over when i hot it so God knows how I avoided kissing tarmac

Roll on summer