SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 08-05-16, 09:00 PM   #671
yokohama

Default Re: Vintage film cameras

I just got back from a little bimble up Swaledale, into Cumbria and back via Aysgarth/Masham. The old Dacora fits perfectly under the passenger seat!
I managed to finish the film (hope I can get it out) Will put it in for processing this week. There's 2 places in Northallerton charging about £7 for prints plus a bit more for JPEGs on a CD. Is that about right?
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-16, 09:04 PM   #672
Kenzie

Not far off but Asda charge 2.50 for develop only and about a quid for cd.
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-16, 09:25 PM   #673
yokohama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzie View Post
Not far off but Asda charge 2.50 for develop only and about a quid for cd.
I'll have a look in our Asda but it's only a small one. Don't know if they do prints.

I got up early and followed your advice this morning. Went down to a boot sale at Thirsk racecourse. There were a couple of guys with boxes of old cameras but most were beat up, bashed about and not in great condition. Quite a few Zenit Es.
One guy had one of these
http://52rangefinders.blogspot.co.uk...nk-mamiya.html
It looked really interesting, good condition. with a built in lightmeter and needle showing the value. He wanted a tenner but the shutter was stuck closed. It wound on and clicked but nothing happened. I had a play but couldn't do anything and didn't buy as I thought I wouldn't be able to fix it.
Quite a quirky little machine though.
Old 08-05-16, 09:26 PM   #674
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/dacora/...cora_digna.htm
this might help. Normally with 120 film you wind it all the way onto the second spool, unlike 35mm where it has to be rewound. I usually wrap it in tinfoil for good measure but in theory the backing paper is lightproof and the spool ends prevent light getting in the edges. You then swap the now-empty spool to the other side for the next film.

Where are you getting it done? I've been using these guys:
http://www.peak-imaging.com/htmls/pr...tive_film.html
also what size do you get for that? 5x5 is not far off a contact print, but Peak Imaging will store scans of MF negatives so you can order enlargements without sending the film back. 8x8 is roughly the same as a 6x4 off 35mm in terms of the increase in scale so you would expect no problem going that big if you get a good picture.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-16, 09:31 PM   #675
yokohama

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrod View Post
Hahaha. Afraid not. It's in German. It's a 35 mil film so I guess it will come out easily enough with the rewind crank. Not tried yet.
Old 08-05-16, 09:50 PM   #676
yokohama

Actually, I did get a couple of things but not from the guys with the camera boxes. Bought this; don't know why because it's just a 35-70 autofocus point and shoot. But it works, was only 3 quid and has 2 lithium batteries in that would cost a fiver anyway. Maybe that appealed to the Yorkshireman in me.

Also got this. I don't normally use flash but I'll see if it works in the trip
Old 09-05-16, 05:49 AM   #677
Kenzie

Hey Yoko, that Rank looked a lot like a Yashica rangefinder. I wonder if they were rebadged. Just bear in mind that some cameras won't work without film in and appear "dead". Not many do this though. Will be doing the car boot run again this coming weekend.

Tried a sunset shot with the Polaroid and Impossible film last night, takes some getting used to as the film is on 160 iso.

Last edited by Kenzie; 09-05-16 at 06:09 AM.
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-16, 06:56 AM   #678
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Ah is it a Dignette or something instead of a Digna? I didn't pay enough attention. I've used Asda for prints before, they're okay but noticeably flat-looking, at least try to get them on gloss paper rather than matt.

Yep a lot of Rank cameras were rebadged Mamiyas or sometimes Yashicas, also other brands like Sears/Tower.
Old 09-05-16, 07:08 PM   #679
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

PS that looks fine Kenzie, if you increased the exposure much you're blow out all of the sky details.

Yoko I think the Trip has a hot shoe so you should be fine - the plate shouldn't look like a plain piece of metal, as on your Dignette, otherwise you need a cable for it. It'll be X-sync, and as the Trip (and Dignette/Agfa) has a leaf shutter, unlike an SLR, you can use any shutter speed you like. It can be useful outside on a bright day with dark shadows but equally can take a bit of fiddling with to get the most out of. I actually find a lot of the guys who have Leicas etc. never use flash, and as far as I can make out, they've never really go tot grips with it.
Old 09-05-16, 07:09 PM   #680
yokohama

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrod View Post
Ah is it a Dignette or something instead of a Digna? I didn't pay enough attention. I've used Asda for prints before, they're okay but noticeably flat-looking, at least try to get them on gloss paper rather than matt.

Yep a lot of Rank cameras were rebadged Mamiyas or sometimes Yashicas, also other brands like Sears/Tower.
Yeah it's a Dignette. I took it out of the case and it's a standard push button film release/rewind knob so the film's out.