SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-06-17, 04:16 PM   #31
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Slipping Clutch

yes moly is the recommended grease in this application but if your going to buy just one grease (OP aint got any) then simple white bearing grease has a lot more uses around the bike. headstock bearings, swingarm bearings, linkage bearings, wheel bearings, lever pivots etc.etc. and at a push can be used where moly is recommended except for constant velocity joints and since a motorcycle doesn't have a CV joint (excluding a few old shaft drive bikes) then happy days. whats the point in buying a tub of moly grease when your only going to use it once in a blue moon.

each to their own and all that
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-17, 04:51 PM   #32
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
yes moly is the recommended grease in this application but if your going to buy just one grease (OP aint got any) then simple white bearing grease has a lot more uses around the bike. headstock bearings, swingarm bearings, linkage bearings, wheel bearings, lever pivots etc.etc. and at a push can be used where moly is recommended except for constant velocity joints and since a motorcycle doesn't have a CV joint (excluding a few old shaft drive bikes) then happy days. whats the point in buying a tub of moly grease when your only going to use it once in a blue moon.

each to their own and all that
IMHO Moly is the best lubricant for anything that is made of metal and moves! Those tenacious slippery little flakes adhere to metal and don't get pushed out of the way like lesser lubricants. Moly is the reason CV joints now last the life of a vehicle - they used to be classed as a 'wear item' that would need to be replace, but not any more.

I can remember back to my engineering apprenticeship days ( I have a long, long memory) when the company I worked for used a material called 'Nylatron' (which is Nylon impregnated with MSO2) for sliding linear and also rotating low speed bearings, it was used in heavy duty applications where really high performance, toughness and long life was required, you can also get Teflon impregnated with Moly.

I would agree that using moly in higher speed lightly loaded bearings can result in rollers or balls 'skidding' due to moly being 'too slippery' - and this can cause flat spots on rollers.

But having said that, I have used gearbox molyslip in every car I ever owned and never had a gearbox problem, even on a couple of Honda Jazz cars that are notorious for developing noisy bearings in the gearbox - my Jazz's both did well over 100,000 miles without the problem, where others on forum said theirs became noisy as low as 40,000 miles, requiring expensive gearbox removal and replacement of bearings.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 22-06-17 at 06:15 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-17, 05:19 PM   #33
Bibio
Mega Poster

i would not say LM grease is a lesser lubrication grease and i would never use CV grease in wheel bearings. having said that i dont think anybody greases wheel bearings any more due to them coming pre packed. as long as it lubricates and dont wash out then its a case of choose your poison. i have been using ACF-50 grease the past cppl years and it seems ok (even on electrical contacts), if a weird colour. personally you cant go wrong with simple white LM grease as a general purpose grease.
Old 22-06-17, 05:44 PM   #34
Blapper

Agreed. It's like oil - some is better than none, even if it isn't the perfect choice.
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-17, 10:15 PM   #35
synXero

And where is one best advised to buy such greasey goodness?
Old 22-06-17, 11:10 PM   #36
Bibio
Mega Poster

any car factors should sell it. be sure you ask for white bearing/multi-purpose grease or they will give you the black shizz. even Halfords sell the stuff, comma multi-purpose grease

yes i know its a semi translucent amber colour but its commonly called white grease.

i'm sure i have seen it in asda as well.
Old 23-06-17, 09:35 AM   #37
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

The manuals state for most of these jobs standard Multipurpose grease.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/eng...se-grease-500g

I use Moly Grease as well at high usage/pressure points.

As pointed out virtually any lubricant on these parts is better than letting them get dry and or dirty/clogged up.I've also used GT85

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike...ubricant-400ml

as a cleaner and it in itself is a great lubricant.You can even use GT85 to re-waterproof gloves/boots etc.The PTFE in it repels water superbly.

HTH

PS

Just been in Wilkos Supermarket and they do their own MP grease for £3.50 a tub.I've used their Brake fluid and oil for years.All been decent for the price.

Also they are doing 250 ml of RedX/Petrol treatment for £2.00 a bottle so grabbed a couple

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 23-06-17 at 11:46 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-17, 01:01 PM   #38
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post

But having said that, I have used gearbox molyslip in every car I ever owned and never had a gearbox problem, even on a couple of Honda Jazz cars that are notorious for developing noisy bearings in the gearbox - my Jazz's both did well over 100,000 miles without the problem, where others on forum said theirs became noisy as low as 40,000 miles, requiring expensive gearbox removal and replacement of bearings.
yup agreed. just dont stick any of their oil additives in your bike engine, they are not designed for wet clutch. got a ducati with a dry clutch then bash on
Old 23-06-17, 01:35 PM   #39
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

I've been running a bit of moly added to my oil in my SV650 for over a thousand miles.No clutch slip.Molybdenum Disulphide does not adhere to the none metallic friction plates in a ,"Wet-Clutch".

I ran both my Honda CX500s on Molyslip for years and still no Wet-Clutch slip.

There are oil additives that can cause Wet-Clutch slip but Molybdenum Disulphide is not one of them.

Even top engine oil makers add a small amount to their oils now.

HTH

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 23-06-17 at 01:43 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-17, 01:44 PM   #40
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
I've been running a bit of moly added to my oil in my SV650 for over a thousand miles.No clutch slip.Molybdenum Disulphide does not adhere the none metallic friction plates in a ,"Wet-Clutch".

I ran both my Honda CX500s on Molyslip for years and still no Wet-Clutch slip.

There are oil additives that can cause Wet-Clutch slip but Molybdenum Disulphide is not one of them.

Even top engine oil makers add a small amount to their oils now.

HTH
Agree, looked it up and liqui-moly say as long as moly not more than 2% of oil then OK - (20ml per litre) this equates to about about 60ml in an SV

https://products.liqui-moly.com/addi...-additive.html

http://www.experimentalaircraft.info...rication-6.php

and just for interest

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/mc...-vs-dry-clutch

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 24-06-17 at 08:03 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote