SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 24-05-17, 07:41 AM   #4511
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjob View Post
That's the problem; all jobs have to be advertised internally and externally. Even though some jobs mean that no 'outsider' could walk in to the job and understand the roles & processes.

The 'have to be seen to be doing' rigmarole crap.
UK industry is choking on paperwork and processes - industry used to run on coal and steam, and then electricity, now it runs on b~llshi!t and paperwork. The reason I decided to retire from engineering was that although I could easily do the job, the paperwork for the processes was increasing exponentially. When your day is 75% paperwork and meetings and 25% being an engineer its time to pack it in.

And I have to say it but HR 'rules' have been responsible for companies I have worked for losing some of their best people, for example when a casual remark by a stressed out engineer in a closed meeting has resulted in 'summary dismissal' of some really competent engineers, and all this in spite of the fact that the person the remark was directed at took it in good humour and did not complain, but another person was 'upset' enough to report it to HR wtf! And all the while the mediocre PC people who never said anything out of order carried on doing their paperwork and kept their head down, and so the spiral carried on downwards while everyone walks around on eggshells while at work.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-17, 08:17 AM   #4512
timwilky
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
UK industry is choking on paperwork and processes - industry used to run on coal and steam, and then electricity, now it runs on b~llshi!t and paperwork. The reason I decided to retire from engineering was that although I could easily do the job, the paperwork for the processes was increasing exponentially. When your day is 75% paperwork and meetings and 25% being an engineer its time to pack it in.

And I have to say it but HR 'rules' have been responsible for companies I have worked for losing some of their best people, for example when a casual remark by a stressed out engineer in a closed meeting has resulted in 'summary dismissal' of some really competent engineers, and all this in spite of the fact that the person the remark was directed at took it in good humour and did not complain, but another person was 'upset' enough to report it to HR wtf! And all the while the mediocre PC people who never said anything out of order carried on doing their paperwork and kept their head down, and so the spiral carried on downwards while everyone walks around on eggshells while at work.

Reminds me of an overworked nurse at the local hospital who was put onto the disciplinary process. Her crime was to complain "The trouble with this place is there are too many chiefs and not enough indians". Yes someone with not a full understanding of the use of English took it to mean they need to give that sort of work to immigrants from the Indian subcontinent and the race button was pressed.
Old 24-05-17, 08:21 AM   #4513
atassiedevil

Stepdaughter with her new bike.
"Feels funny to ride"
"Tyre pressures okay?" "Yes dad, read 40psi when i did the tyres this morning" - "Well, thats too high, when i did them they were 25/30 as they should be"
Come out to rescue her on her way home, as the bike is "unrideable"
"I must have a puncture then"
Front tyre completely flat, and the bead had come away from the rim.
So back with the car, take off the wheel and off to the BP garage to look for a puncture.

None found. Back home 3 hours later at 9pm growling "Kids"
She'd obviously let most if not all the air out and deflated the tyre.
Old 24-05-17, 01:53 PM   #4514
Heorot

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
Reminds me of an overworked nurse at the local hospital who was put onto the disciplinary process. Her crime was to complain "The trouble with this place is there are too many chiefs and not enough indians". Yes someone with not a full understanding of the use of English took it to mean they need to give that sort of work to immigrants from the Indian subcontinent and the race button was pressed.
In my last job was dealing with foster care insurance for a local authority. I happened to be friends with a gay couple that were foster parents. I casually commented that 30 years ago they would never have been allowed to foster and next thing I knew was that I was reported to HR for a homophobic comment and had to explain myself or be dismissed. Fortunately for me, my work colleagues who I had been talking to vouched that the complaint was not homophobic and had, in fact, been supportive of my gay friends.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-17, 07:43 PM   #4515
maviczap
Mega Poster

To the **** wheelying your bike on the way to the Wednesday night bike meeting at Great Bentley I can be satisfied you'll lose you licence fairly soon, as it's the one night you can guarantee they'll be some police on the route. Or you won't last long because you wouldn't have seen the recovery truck on the blind bend causing traffic to cross onto your side of the road, because you were on your rear wheel and can't see the road ahead.

You're an even bigger **** because you were doing your wheelie amongst your mates, so you'd take them out too.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-17, 06:28 AM   #4516
Geodude
Mega Poster

Suns bringing them out Mav

Electrical fault finding guide and Regulator rectifier test

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-17, 06:35 AM   #4517
maviczap
Mega Poster

Aye, he started his wheelie just as I was approaching him in the opposite direction. If he'd got it wrong it would have been nasty for him and me probably worse for him as I was in my car, but I don't know.

As usual its the sun that brings out the fools
Old 25-05-17, 10:44 AM   #4518
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

More than once I've been riding through town and idiots on motorcycles,especially in Summer,weaving like madmen through traffic just wearing T-shirt,shorts and trainers.

If they come off,even at low speed,welcome to the ANGLE GRINDER

ATGATT
Old 25-05-17, 11:06 AM   #4519
shiftin_gear98

Couriers - bunch of .....
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-17, 12:28 PM   #4520
maviczap
Mega Poster

My SDS drill gave up the ghost with only 20mins more work to do.

Fair play to it, as its been abused, but 20mins would probably been its last big job. Here's Wednesday's aftermath

2017-05-24_12-10-52 by maviczap, on Flickr