SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-05-13, 08:17 AM   #1
js1992

Default Pointy buying advice?

Good morning everyone I have now decided to bite to bullet and get a motorbike after passing my test a few months ago. For a while I have been looking at what bike to buy Honda or Suzuki Kawasaki you name it. I am after a bike that is reliable as I will be using it for work everyday but also want to use it on weekends nice days out. Here are the bikes I have narrowed it down to the cbr600 older style the Suzuki gsx650f or the Suzuki sv650s so just wanting to know what the sv650 is like as a commuter and what to look at when buying one open to suggestions and may be interested in buying one from you guys. Another point is I would have to get it restricted I am told this won't be a massive cost if I supply the part and pay for the labour. Thank you all
Old 03-05-13, 08:25 AM   #2
M65

Default Re: New member would like some advise on the pointy

I cant really speak for the other bikes you mentioned as I dont have first hand experience of them, but my SV has never let me down in 10 years of ownership and it has done daily commutes, track days, weekend ride outs and touring. The worst thats happened is the battery has gone knackered twice but thats because it lives outside and the cold kills the batteries and I foolishly didnt keep it on trickle charge. Other than that though, its never missed a beat.

Things to look for I suppose depend on the age of the bike you are after. Usual things like service history, regular oil and filter changes etc are par for the course. Do you have an age in mind?
Old 03-05-13, 11:55 AM   #3
MJC-DEV

Default Re: Pointy buying advice?

Good commuter and economical but try the other bikes as well as being 4 cylinder they are much smoother to ride than the SV. The SV has 'chunky' twin cylinder power delivery not turbine smooth 4 cylinder stuff. They are also bigger and a bit heaver which may or may not suit. The SV is very small and slim and excellent at traffic filtering.
Old 03-05-13, 11:57 AM   #4
js1992

Thank you very much I'm not too sure to be honest later than 2005 looking at the black frame one and if not just something with lower miles good to hear that they are reliable off to sit on one tonight see if its right for me
Old 03-05-13, 02:04 PM   #5
Pricey12

What the others have said really.

Regarding restricting the bike, I believe that with pointies it is simply a question of replacing the ECU with a 33bhp restricted one. Plug and play under the seat, could do it yourself in five minutes.
Old 03-05-13, 02:41 PM   #6
js1992

Sounds good to me seems to be just getting better and better there is just the matter of getting the certificate
Old 03-05-13, 03:34 PM   #7
Owenski

+1 on the 33bhp ECU.

As for buying one...buy mine. HERE

Pics should be going up this weekend.
Old 03-05-13, 04:34 PM   #8
js1992

Thanks but I fancy the fairing one if I'm honest what have you got now then
Old 03-05-13, 06:53 PM   #9
maviczap
Mega Poster

Don't they are fugly, buy a curvy
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-13, 07:04 PM   #10
aesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by js1992 View Post
Sounds good to me seems to be just getting better and better there is just the matter of getting the certificate
Don't think you need any certificate for the restriction if that's what you mean.

By the way, regarding your options I used to have a CBR600F before the SV. Very different bikes and I think it depends on whether you want all-round fun with the SV, or fairly bland performance changing to rocketship at the top end of the rev band. SV is maybe a bit more finicky around town, too high a gear and it can be snatchy at low speed, too low a gear and you have to allow for the pretty fierce engine braking. By contrast my CBR could trickle along just about at tickover, although of course it was completely gutless at those revs. Good for not busting through a 30 limit when the cops are around.

Best of luck, and have fun whatever you get. As someone said it doesn't matter what sort of bike, it'll put a smile on your face.

Tony S
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote