SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-07-08, 09:05 AM   #1
Gazza77

Default Ground Anchor in wood?

Right - another ground anchor question.

Having just moved, my bike is currently locked up in my new garage, pending me getting some paving laid and my bike safe shed rebuilt. In the meantime to aid security, I was thinking of putting a cheap ground anchor into the garage just to act as a bit of a physical detterent, however it has a wooden floor. I accept that this would not be as secure as into concrete, but would it potentially work?

Then Triumph Sprint ST with scottoiler and R&Gs & TOR exhaust

Now Benelli Tornado
Gazza77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-08, 09:18 AM   #2
Baph

Default Re: Ground Anchor in wood?

It'd stop opportunists, but as I'm sure you're aware, it's fairly easy to cut/break the wood.
Old 04-07-08, 09:20 AM   #3
thor

One word: Crowbar.
Old 04-07-08, 09:30 AM   #4
Mogs

There no reason why not. You have already accepted there is some loss in the security. You will have to use different fixings as the flooring is unlikely to have sufficient thickness.

Coach bolts and a metal plate side would a good method, but you would need access to both sides, you could try hollow wall anchors.

The important thing is for you not the leave any tools around that can aid anyone's attempt to undo you fixings, especially as this is a tempory solution and you will want to be able to undo your work yourself at some time.
Old 04-07-08, 09:37 AM   #5
Reckless Rat

For temporary use I got an old 5 gallon bucket - I guess any big plastic tub would do, filled it with old lead pipe off cuts, chunks of cast iron, steel etc and concrete. Finished off with a big chunky steel loop (I used a scrap 4" gate valve ) Although it's movable you certainly can't run away with it!
Old 04-07-08, 09:49 AM   #6
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckless Rat View Post
For temporary use I got an old 5 gallon bucket - I guess any big plastic tub would do, filled it with old lead pipe off cuts, chunks of cast iron, steel etc and concrete. Finished off with a big chunky steel loop (I used a scrap 4" gate valve ) Although it's movable you certainly can't run away with it!
Along similar lines, I know Alpinestarhero uses a bucket of concrete with a chain. Put the chain in the bucket, with enough looped outside the bucket, and fill with concrete.

heypreso, home made ground anchor.
Old 04-07-08, 09:50 AM   #7
Gazza77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogs View Post
There no reason why not. You have already accepted there is some loss in the security. You will have to use different fixings as the flooring is unlikely to have sufficient thickness.

Coach bolts and a metal plate side would a good method, but you would need access to both sides, you could try hollow wall anchors.

The important thing is for you not the leave any tools around that can aid anyone's attempt to undo you fixings, especially as this is a tempory solution and you will want to be able to undo your work yourself at some time.
My tools are all safely elsewhere - the only other bits in the garage are stuff I could live without, ie bits like oil and cleaning stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckless Rat View Post
This might be a better short term approach in fairness. The bike is already alarmed, imobilised, and has a disc lock and cable lock and will be getting a somewhat larger chain through it later today. I just need to put some tinting film up on the windows to stop prying eyes and I'll feel a whole lot happier....

Then Triumph Sprint ST with scottoiler and R&Gs & TOR exhaust

Now Benelli Tornado
Gazza77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-08, 10:09 AM   #8
Durbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
I know Alpinestarhero uses a bucket of concrete with a chain.
Thats a really good idea, i might use that one.
Old 04-07-08, 11:27 AM   #9
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
It'd stop opportunists, but as I'm sure you're aware, it's fairly easy to cut/break the wood.
+ 1, any determinded thief will steal it whether it was bolted down to concrete also!
Old 04-07-08, 11:46 AM   #10
muffles

I think a bucket of concrete with a ground anchor is a good idea but I should probably mention that my GSX-R 600 was stolen attached to one of these. All it needs is an extra thief, to lift the concrete as the others lift the bike, unfortunately.

I don't know if anyone else has any experience of thieves & the concrete bucket method, I may be the only (unfortuante) one