SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 12-12-16, 09:35 AM   #4861
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: The Cycling Thread

Sold which can lead on to N+1

Last edited by maviczap; 14-12-16 at 12:58 PM.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-16, 07:59 AM   #4862
Geodude
Mega Poster

Electrical fault finding guide and Regulator rectifier test

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 06:52 PM   #4863
EssexDave

Just had SRAM Red etap fitted to my tarmac. Can't wait for some good weather to give it a go!
Old 07-01-17, 07:02 PM   #4864
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

Very nice, maybe you could use the groupset at this event... I'm sure you'll be allowed to stop in Lochcarron for a breakfast before the big climb.

http://www.handsonevents.co.uk/bealach-mor/

TBH I was up for it then started thinking how hard doing 65 flatfish miles were today, never mind doing 90 and climbing that blooming hill.

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 07:20 PM   #4865
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssexDave View Post
Just had SRAM Red etap fitted to my tarmac. Can't wait for some good weather to give it a go!
Serious amount of wedge to outlay, but well worth it, i love my Di2 stuff.

Not sure how I'd get on with the way Sram use the right levr to change up, and the left to change down ( or the other way round), plus both together to chane the front!

Let us know
Old 07-01-17, 07:24 PM   #4866
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

That's way to confusing for me.

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-17, 02:50 PM   #4867
EssexDave

I was weighing up what to go for. I liked that SRAM is lighter (it's 600g lighter than the 105 groupset it is replacing!)

I spent a lot of time thinking about Di2 vs etap and etap won due to looking cooler and being wireless!
I never got on with SRAMs mechanical 'double click' rubbish, but I actually think what they've done for etap makes a lot of sense - and hitting them both to change chainrings? Is that in case you forget how to pedal and have to get out of the big ring?
Old 09-01-17, 03:40 PM   #4868
EssexDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by carelesschucca View Post
Very nice, maybe you could use the groupset at this event... I'm sure you'll be allowed to stop in Lochcarron for a breakfast before the big climb.

http://www.handsonevents.co.uk/bealach-mor/

TBH I was up for it then started thinking how hard doing 65 flatfish miles were today, never mind doing 90 and climbing that blooming hill.
I've thought about doing this a few times but it is such a long way to go just to ride my bike, especially when there are warmer places that can be reached in the same time!

It is on the list (a very long list) of things to do though!
Old 09-01-17, 08:29 PM   #4869
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssexDave View Post
I was weighing up what to go for. I liked that SRAM is lighter (it's 600g lighter than the 105 groupset it is replacing!)

I spent a lot of time thinking about Di2 vs etap and etap won due to looking cooler and being wireless!
I never got on with SRAMs mechanical 'double click' rubbish, but I actually think what they've done for etap makes a lot of sense - and hitting them both to change chainrings? Is that in case you forget how to pedal and have to get out of the big ring?
Yes, there's a big weight saving to be made, and Sram Red is about 100grm lighter than Dura Ace Di2, although most of that is the Di2 battery.

I have a SRAM aversion, don't know why? But the biggest influence was price. I picked most of my di2 stuff up 2nd hand, both sets of shifters £130 a pair, which the mechanical shifters were going for the same price. Rear mech £85 and front the same. All work flawlessly, and you won't know they were 2nd hand.

I do like the no cables of SRAM, that's a big plus, I wish Shimano would develop wireless Di2. I have one frame which has internal routing, which requires Teflon liners for the mechs to work well. Wireless would solve this issue. It'd also make di2 specific frames redundant, as you wouldn't need to hide the cables & make the frame look so clean with no cable clutter.

Wireless shifting would make my travel bike even easier to split & put together, I'd only have to connect the brake cables!

My biggest gripe is getting the di2 cable length right, and its an expensive mistake to get the wrong length, thank goodness for Wiggle returns, plus hiding excess length of cable is a PITA.

Aside from this its fab, anyone who hasn't tried it, needs to give it a go. Carelesschucca
Old 10-01-17, 12:11 AM   #4870
synXero

I do a bit of cycling myself!

Here's the absolute Frankenstein I rebuilt my dad's lovely old 1991 Canondale m500 into, to do the Outer Hebridean Way cycle. We started in the middle, cycled to the north of Lewis, then back to the middle, down to the south - then back to the middle again! Incredible journey.

Down in London I ride a lovely carbon Planet X, SRAM force 22, 8.5kg with lights and air in the tyres -- I've got roadie drops for it as well as TT bars... Lovely thing to pedal.

Last edited by synXero; 10-01-17 at 12:15 AM.