SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-02-19, 06:36 AM   #1
Othen

Default SV650 K6/K3 Radiator

Good morn,

This is my first post.

I bought a 2006 SV650 on a whim a few weeks ago (I had a very similar bike which I bought new whilst living in Germany 15 years ago - I liked that bike and am re-living the experience). The bike is okay (new MoT, runs and rides well) but it was a £600 machine that needs a bit of TLC.

At some time in the past the first owner (I'm the second) has changed the original radiator for a Chinese copy (I don't know why), the mounting lugs on the replacement have all sheared and it has been help on with cable ties (for years - the guy couldn't remember how long). Whilst this works it isn't good enough so I've bought a new (used) radiator).

The new radiator arrived in the mail the other day, it was only £40 and is in good condition, but I noticed the radiator cap arrangement was different. A lot of research has shown it is for a K3 (with the remote cap) rather than a K4-6 as advertised. The vendor will take a return but I'm thinking that as it is in good condition I could just convert the bike to use it - that is the subject of this post.

I've ordered a second hand K3 filler cap (a tenner delivered) and the little bit of hose that connects it to the radiator plus new mounts and so on (all available now, and pretty cheap). It looks as though the half fairing will accept the K3 parts (there is a cut out where the hose should go and I'm guessing the bracket bolts on the radiator mount). My question is will this work, or is there something I have not thought of? If someone out there had a K3 and would send me a photo of the filler neck arrangement I'd appreciate it.

Best wishes,

Alan