SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-11-05, 09:10 AM   #1
Jase22

Default Must be the new 'thing' to do...

Riding to work this morning, filtering past some cars stood at the traffic lights, when suddenly a woman decides to open her door!!! I think myself a bit lucky that I was just coming to a stop as this was just near the front of the queue.

Heard this happened to another guy on here not long ago, and I wondered just how thick passengers in cars can be???? The only time I'd attempt to get out of the passenger door was if it was at the road side, not in the middle of the road!!

It's got me quite wound up, as if I'd have actually hit the car door then who's to say the blame wouldn't have landed square on my shoulders?

Perhaps they should fit "idiot locks" to the front doors like they fit child locks to the back doors?
Old 25-11-05, 09:22 AM   #2
jonboy

Look, we know car drivers and their passengers open their doors whilst stationary. Now that we know this there really shouldn't be a problem should there?

I have to say that I'm constantly amazed at the incredulity of a lot of bike riders (and I'm not having a go here) at the plain obvious.

When you know the score simply ride accordingly.

Old 25-11-05, 09:27 AM   #3
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

When I used to ride my push bike everywhere it used to happen me all the time, people just dont look in the mirrors before they open the car door.

When I did my driving lessons my isntructor taught me to look in the mirror before I opened the car door for this very reason.

I've never had it happen to me on the SV, It must be pretty scary, I am always aware that it might happen though

Sorry to hear you had a scare Jase least your OK and so it your bike, I bet it frightened the car driver to and that hopefully they've learnt a lesson and dont do it again

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-05, 09:31 AM   #4
Jase22

Since I didn't fall off, I presume I was riding accordingly.

As for opening car doors, to some extent I expect it, but there's some times when it comes totally out of the blue as was this case, when there was 2 lanes of queueing cars. If I'd not had my wits about me I'd have been off and that's just not on in my opinion.

Isn't there some rule in the highway code to say you shouldn't open your car door when in a queue of traffic? And if there isn't, surely it's just common sense not to do it? I know that whenever I'm either driving a car or sitting as a passenger I don't open the door when sat in a queue of traffic like that.
Old 25-11-05, 09:42 AM   #5
thor

This is one the reasons I have a loud exhaust!
Old 25-11-05, 09:50 AM   #6
Jase22

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor
This is one the reasons I have a loud exhaust!
I have an ART can on mine, so can't see exactly how they didn't hear me!!!
Old 25-11-05, 09:50 AM   #7
sharriso74

Shame you can't get idiot detectors the same as you can can get speed trap detectors. Saying that though riding through London it'll be going off all the time
Old 25-11-05, 10:10 AM   #8
Jelster

It would come under "due care & attention" as the driver should not let a passenger vacate the vehicle when it is not safe to do so.

But, taking what Greg says with a pinch of salt, one should expect the unexpected when riding in town. Take some paranoia pills,this will help you remember that they are all out to get you!!

Old 28-11-05, 07:26 AM   #9
Peter Henry

When out on a great hoon last Sunday which was a complete mix of tight twisties through to fast sweepers, myself and a guy on a ZX6 had an interesting experience. On a particuarly fast section whch was flat roads through a valley basin we came gunning out of a fast left hander only to see 150 metres ahead that a car had stopped and the driver had got out quite casually leaving the door fully open!

He had left just enough road for us to squeeze through,but on hearing us he panicked and sprinted back to his car and closed the door. He was all arm waving and apologetic! I had to feel sorry for him as this was a pretty isolated area and he obviously had thought prime time and spot to get out for a leak!
Old 28-11-05, 07:57 AM   #10
Last Action Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
Look, we know car drivers and their passengers open their doors whilst stationary. Now that we know this there really shouldn't be a problem should there?

I have to say that I'm constantly amazed at the incredulity of a lot of bike riders (and I'm not having a go here) at the plain obvious.

When you know the score simply ride accordingly.

CAR PASSANGERS SHOULD LOOK BEHIND THEM!! THATS WHAT I DO WHEN I AM IN A CAR BEFORE I OPEN MY DOOR!!!!!!!!