SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-02-11, 02:00 PM   #1
kevo115

Default 30 amp main fuse blowing - effects?

hi, if the 30 amp main fuse blew while riding, would the engine cut out?
Old 13-02-11, 02:05 PM   #2
Scythe92

Default Re: 30 amp main fuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevo115 View Post
hi, if the 30 amp main fuse blew while riding, would the engine cut out?
.It would be just like switching the ignition off, so yes, you would have no spark.
Old 13-02-11, 02:10 PM   #3
kevo115

i thought so! the main reason i ask, if your travelling along at some speed and the main fuse blew, would the bike lock up and send you down the road?
Old 13-02-11, 02:26 PM   #4
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

No it wouldn't lock up, just lose power.
Old 13-02-11, 02:35 PM   #5
kevo115

in fact i better tell the full story! i have a pointy sv650s with a tail tidy, and the number plate hanger had become rusty, so i took it off to clean it up and re paint it. so i had to disconnect the number plate light. the push together connector was pretty solid, so i used a couple of pairs of snipe nosed pliers to pull it apart, and in so doing, one of the wires on the battery side came out! (for some strange reason the wire that came out was very very short, while the other one on the battery side was very long)
when i came to putting it all back together, i pushed the wire back into the connector, turned on the ignition, and checked the plate light and it was not working. now here is where i made a school boy error! i forgot to turn off the ignition before i started messing with the loose wire, and it shorted. blowing the main 30 amp fuse! so i replaced the fuse, snd sorted out the connector the best i could. but i'm paranoid now, that the short loose wire will pull out while i'm riding, short out blowing the main fuse, locking my bike up and sending me down the road! i know the obvious answer is to have a new connector put in and wired up properly, but i have not got the tools to do it, and i lost my job at christmas, so can't afford the silly fee a bike shop will charge, to do a 10 minute job!
Old 13-02-11, 02:56 PM   #6
kevo115

thanks anyway lads! at least i'm not paranoid of my bike locking up and killing me anymore! ha.

cheers.
Old 13-02-11, 05:03 PM   #7
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Can you afford a ride to Halifax?

Losing power is still dangerous TBH.

Just tape the wire up temporarily, has this been bodgerama'd though some other way as the signal fuse should blow before the main one.
Old 13-02-11, 07:57 PM   #8
kevo115

YORKIE-CHRIS. something does not seem right! one of the wires on the battery side of the connector is very short and gives me no room to play, thats the one that pulled out.
i've got a mate who does a lot of work on cars, and he is going to put me a new connector in, and extend the short wire.
as for the main fuse blowing, i'm not sure! i looked in the manual and there are 10 and 15 amp fuses for the likes of, headlight hi and low beam, indicators, ignition, injectors, tail and break light etc, but no mention of number plate light! so whether that comes under indicators or its connected to the main 30 amp fuse i don't know. thing is! i messed the connector up and blew the fuse while doing a completely different job. so if i replace the damaged connector i'll be back to how i was with no plate light problem.
thanks for your offer of help if i could get to halifax! very kind of you!

cheers.
Old 13-02-11, 08:04 PM   #9
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

It's on the signal fuse IIRC along with indicators, horn, rear lights etc.

You say battery side? You mean on wiring loom aye?

TBH you could just tape up the connector to make the bike safe to use for the moment, the chances of getting a tug for a number plate light is minuscule.

If it has tail tidy on then chances are some idiot bodged it, usually what happens with bikes sporting pointless and inane modifications. Personally not too keen on getting my missus splattered with cowsh*t, but whatever floats your boat I suppose...
Old 13-02-11, 08:25 PM   #10
kevo115

yes i mean the loom side! and i know what you mean about someone bodging it up! i did not fit the tail tidy, it was fitted when i bought it. but it looks like whoever did it snapped a wire on the loom side of the connector and replaced it, routing it somewhere easier but not correct! because that short wire is brown and thicker than the other wires.
i don't know how to get to the proper wiring so i'll just extend the wire that is there and put a new connector in for what it is.

cheers.