SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-06-16, 11:57 PM   #11
ichsehichseh

Default Re: Bike Won't Start!

Sorry about the late reply guys, had a lot of personal stuff happen in the past few weeks.

1. The bike doesn't have an alarm.
2. The killswitch is off, made sure of that.
3. After the bike clicks a few times, the neutral light goes out and sometimes it will come back on and I will hear the "buzz buzz". Most of the time, however, it doesn't come back on, but if I move the battery or jiggle the negative cable, it will "buzz buzz" and the neutral light will come back on. Someone at my job suggested the starter relay module, but from what I understand, if the module is clicking, then the module should be working. I checked the ground cable that grounds out at the crankcase on the right side (throttle side) of the bike and it is tight. I also checked the cable going to the starter itself and it is tight as well. If I were to bench test the starter, I would have to drain out the oil, correct?

Any other ideas?
Old 30-06-16, 11:37 AM   #12
danfunksv

If you are jiggling things and lights go on/off then you defo have some wiring issues, I had the same problem and it turned out to be the clutch switch, bypass the switch to rule it out, then continue methodically on to all the switches to test for continuity.
Old 30-06-16, 02:15 PM   #13
Bibio
Mega Poster

this might sound dumb but have you checked the battery terminals are tight? you might also have a cracked battery terminal or the neutral strap has a fault in it somewhere. get a jump lead and connect it from the neutral terminal to somewhere on the frame thats not painted and try that. if it works you have your answer. BTW its not common but you can fracture a battery terminal internally, if you wiggle the neutral terminal/strap at the bolt and it happens then i would replace the battery.

rule out the simple stuff first then start to trace back further into the loom. people are reluctant to try a new battery as they are expensive but most of the time its been the battery all along. i have a perfectly good battery sitting here that i ruled out and once doing so let me investigate further to discover a furred up terminal on the reg/rec connector.

something else to try is turn the ignition on and then move the bars left to right to see it the fault replicates. if it does than it might be your ignition green connector which is also a common fault.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-16, 09:30 PM   #14
ichsehichseh

SOLVED!

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions fellas. Although I had already checked the ground from the battery, I decided to check it by moving the wire while trying to start her and she started right up. I pulled the ground off and put some dielectric grease in the terminal and made sure she was tight, she has started right up each time with none of the intermittent "buzz buzz". Always good to go back to basics!
Old 30-06-16, 09:30 PM   #15
ichsehichseh

SOLVED!

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions fellas. Although I had already checked the ground from the battery, I decided to check it by moving the wire while trying to start her and she started right up. I pulled the ground off and put some dielectric grease in the terminal and made sure she was tight, she has started right up each time with none of the intermittent "buzz buzz". Always good to go back to basics!
Old 30-06-16, 10:09 PM   #16
danfunksv

Excellent news
Old 01-07-16, 07:15 AM   #17
theenglishman

Put it in diagnostic mode and see what code you get.

Have the kill switch set and having it in gear have lost me hours of my life I won't see again
theenglishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-16, 07:57 AM   #18
Craig380
Mega Poster

Good news

Ridiculous that a bit of corrosion / crud on the battery terminal can cause such problems, isn't it?
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote