SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-12-05, 12:52 PM   #1
Dirty Baz

Default R6 owners, some info please?

People will think I hate the SV cause I'm always asking about other bikes (but I love the SV really!!!)

Got some amazing insurance quotes on an 2003 R6 (£606 FC!!) and looking at prices and mileage of some of the bikes on Autotrader etc they look like a very attractive next bike.

I've heard about certain models having a different width front wheel making them very flighty and nervous. Can any R6 owners out there tell me what model that would be? I'm considering the 2003 model, one of the last with the normal forks and black frame, they are great value at about £4k.

Any tips of what to look out for on R6's? Obviously lots of them will be thrashed but anything else that can go wrong?

What are they like for comfort, around town, fuel consumption, tyres and servicing etc?

Thanks for any info.
Old 05-12-05, 12:57 PM   #2
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Default Re: R6 owners, some info please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Baz
I've heard about certain models having a different width front wheel making them very flighty and nervous.
It's not the wheel width. It is (apparently) the tyre profile that affects the handling on the R6.

It came as standard with a 120/65 tyre and "some" journo's reckoned this affected the handling, making the bike feel like it was tipping into corners too fast and making it feel nervous.

The fix is to fit a 70 profile tyre and drop the forks 5mm through the yolks to maintain the steering angles. Only some tyres will fit under the mudguard though. A decent tyre place should be able to make recomendations.

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-05, 01:37 PM   #3
Scooby Drew

They are good bikes, was considering one before I got my Ninja.

They are very comfortable and you feel that you are sitting in it rather than on on it. It does need to be thrashed though to get it going, which is why you will find that most have been err - thrashed.

It's a hooligan bike, you know you want one... Welcome to the 4 pot club!

Drew
Old 05-12-05, 02:38 PM   #4
Dirty Baz

Is the lower profile tyre on the '03 models? Sounds easy enough to change but I'm sure I could learn to live with it as well. There are some pretty bumpy corners up here which make the SV twitch when lent over, if the R6 is even faster steering then it might be a bit scary at first.

Drew, not part of the club yet but hope to be in the spring. Insurance is the main stumbling point. I've had quotes of about £600 TPFT on a £4k GSXR, ZX6-R and even a bloody CBR-F! For some reason I can insurance a R6 or a Daytona for £400 TPFT and £600 FC! It will be easier to get an R6 than a Daytona up here and they do look better and more fun. I've also been considering a Z750 but as it would be £4k and about the same to insure I figure why not go the whole hog and get a proper sports 600!

Can't wait till the first sunny run next year, we'll leave all the 2-potters behind! j/k folks, I'll still be back of the pack!
Old 05-12-05, 02:42 PM   #5
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Baz
Is the lower profile tyre on the '03 models?
Yes!

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-05, 02:49 PM   #6
Jelster

Wicked piece of kit, but it's got no go 'till 9k, hold on like your life depended on it (because it does )