SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-03-17, 04:32 PM   #1
UKBob23

Default Bob's Track Project

Hi Folks,

I just took a bit of a punt on ebay and bought myself a Cat-C insurance write off K7 model with just some minor damage (hopefully) with the aim of getting it on the track. Looks like just minor fairing damage and a missing mirror and footpeg/gear lever so confident in getting it fixed up easy enough.

Picked bike up in van and happy with the purchase so far. First things first is to check the bike out mechanically and get it into working order and test ride it. Bought a load of "new" bits for it off ebay to get her back in working order.

Things done this weekend:

-Fitted ebay left mirror (will be ditching this but want to collect bits in case I want to sell it as a road bike again)
-Fitted ebay left footpeg and gear change assembly
-Managed to straighten R&G crash bung bolt out enough to get the damn thing off to enable fairing removal
-Removed wheels and got some new Bridgestone BT16's fitted
-Lubed clutch cable as was quite tight
-Fitted track bobbins

Now for quick test ride to make sure gearbox works and bike runs OK.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg (113.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-03-17, 04:37 PM   #2
UKBob23

Default Re: Bob's Track Project

This was a pig to get off. But I did it. Need a new one as it really showed its worth and preserved the bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (7).jpg (115.1 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by UKBob23; 09-03-17 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-03-17, 04:44 PM   #3
UKBob23

Why does it always rain when I do stuff to my bike? Tyres changed (weekend) and battery charged (today).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1811[1].jpg (125.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1832[1].jpg (126.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-03-17, 04:45 PM   #4
UKBob23

Ready for test ride
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1833[1].jpg (125.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-03-17, 07:58 PM   #5
sl0th86

Nice! Just out of interest, what size rear tyre is that? Looks bigger than a 160/60 in that last pic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-03-17, 08:00 PM   #6
sl0th86

Also ive got some track fairings in that blue if you're after some just drop me a PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-17, 07:53 AM   #7
Redmist

See here for compatible shock options:

Want a Gyrocam for your track / road / racing videos? Gyrocam here!

Bikes: Minitwin SV650 '04. Click me!
SV650 (Now Nekked!) '04. Pictures here!

Last edited by Redmist; 10-03-17 at 07:56 AM.
Redmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-17, 08:44 AM   #8
UKBob23

Thanks Redmist.

I guess the ZX6RR shock is the best fit based on its length? Has a higher rate though. But that may be no bad thing as my second hobby is weightlifting and thus I'm a reasonably hefty build and weight 100kg. I'm not exactly Danni Pedrosa size!
Old 10-03-17, 09:09 AM   #9
UKBob23

So, the test ride.....

I'm actually bloody delighted with the bike! I've never ridden a V-twin before (apart from my RGV250 which doesn't really count as the same, being a small two stroke) and I can now see why people love them. So much grunt out of corners at low revs and the power progression is very linear through the rev range. My R1 hits 7000 revs and launches you like bat**** but the SV is much more user friendly and confidence inspiring. I can see it being a great track tool. The R1 is too much for me in all honesty.

The SV is faster than I thought it would be too. I "grunted" through the gears, got her into top, and was surprised to look down and see triple figures on the clocks. Because the engine doesn't scream like a flat four it gives the illusion of being much slower than it actually is.

The soft suspension was lovely on the back lanes and even though I promised myself a careful pootle just to test the gearbox etc I was soon pressing on a bit. I'll need to firm up the springs for the track in due course though. I plan to go down the K-tech route Redmist advised although may go with a heavier spring. Will see what the bod at the shop advises.

It's faster than expected too and I dare say I'll be embarrassing some people on litre bikes come my track day at Brands on Good Friday. Especially as I've booked the novice group due to new bike and new track. Previously only ridden Mallory and Cadwell on RGV and R1. I think this will be my fifth track day.

The engine braking is pretty big and when hard on the brakes the rear wheel was skipping and locking a bit as I came down through the gears (sunny day yesterday on a very sticky front tyre). On track it'll be even worse. I'm wondering about slipper clutch options as I'm pretty sure the SV doesn't have one on it. Maybe I just need to be more gentle letting out/slipping the clutch or practice the art of blipping the throttle when downchanging.

The back brake is a pile of ****. It feels wooden and barely any bite. I don't use the rear so much though so not a major issue. Nevertheless I'm going to give the rear brake a strip down and change the fluid in all brake systems. Happy with the performance of the front though.

I've got a new oil filter and some quality oil so will do an oil service and also drain and get some decent cooling fluid in the radiator system.

All in all I'm delighted and I'm looking forward to expanding my workshop knowledge (never had forks apart before) and riding this bike on the track.
Old 10-03-17, 10:15 AM   #10
shiftin_gear98

Glad you didn't buy a kipper. Welcome to the fold.
And yes SV's do carry their speed well. ☺
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote