SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-07-05, 06:24 PM   #1
valleyboy

Default Fitting an autocom thingy on the bike...

I bought myself an Autocom Active Rider kit.. And Im wondering where the hell to stick it on the bike, and where to plug in the power leads...

ANyone got any advice on the above please ??

Also, anyone have any trouble in fitting the gubbins inside their helmets (Ooo errr) Ive managed to test fit it in there, but I cannot get the speakers to fit in as they suggest, as they nearly cut my ears off when putting the helmet on, plus I end up with cables dangling everywhere, and I have no idea where to stick the connector part too.

I have an Arai RV... so nowt comes out unless you rip it out by force! lol
Old 14-07-05, 10:14 PM   #2
didge

yer it can go under the back seat and wire it neatley there
Old 14-07-05, 10:19 PM   #3
didge

this is a diagram 4 you
Old 15-07-05, 08:31 AM   #4
thor

Ok, having recently done this, and having an Arai with a no removable liner I feel I can comment.

Firstly, in the helmet you should be able to fold back the liner quite a long way and install the mic under that. The arais have a side pod construction so fitting the speakers should be easy. Mine leave me with plenty of room.

Where you fit the box on the bike depends on where you want the wires to come out, and that depends on where you want the phone/ipod/radio to live. I wanted them to sit in my map pocket of my tank bag (so I can skip tracks etc). I have a baglux one and to make it easier to fill up, have all the wires emerging from the bike at the front of the tank. They then enter the tank bag and connect to everything. That way I can just flip the bag up without disconnecting anything.

However, this leads to a problem. The wires are then too short to reach if the box is under the rear seat! This problem is compounded on the pointy by having the front seat only removable with 4 bolts and two allen keys. Once you get the system installed you will spend a fair while fiddling with the levels to get them right. Therefore I installed the box under one of the black side panels the cover the main seat bolts. That way I can get to with only one bolt, or just leave the bolt out. I have the main headset lead emerging from the front of the main seat and that means I don't need an extender cord. The pillion seat comes up from the rear seat, and the radio is under the rear seat (you won't need to adjust the radio once you get going). I used cable ties to sit the box against one of the sub frame beams, but it's a bit ghetto to be honest. I ridden in the rain with it on and it seems fairly splash proof.

Power connection is easiest to wire across the numberplate light, as its fused, ignition switched, accesible, and if something goes wrong it wouldn't make the bike (too) dangerous. Get thee to maplins, get some connectors and a soldering iron and do a proper job. Remeber that freshly melted solder is the good stuff, remelted solder starts to go flaky and horrible. Solder braid is handy for this.