SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

View Poll Results: Do you work in IT?
Yes 41 56.94%
No 19 26.39%
Kinda... My official job isn't IT,but I just end up fixing other peoples problems 'cos I know a more than they do. 12 16.67%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27-04-06, 03:14 PM   #31
The Mass

Yep - Me too

7 different companies in 11 years....

I love I.T. - Honest!
Old 27-04-06, 03:15 PM   #32
timwilky
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence
Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky
Quote:
I'm a Microsoft Cerified Trainer at a Hampshire based company. I teach SQL, Exchange, ISA, Active Directory, W2K3 Server, XP, Small Business Server, networking (MS and a bit of Cisco) and Office apps. I also run the training network and mentor students, as well as running seminars and attending meetings (my fave. NOT.)

Terence
N+, MCP+i, MCDST, MCSA, MCSE, MCT
OK, so you know nothing about IT apart from a bit of IOS
I walked rtight into that one, didn't I?
As someone who is responsible for over 70 *nix boxes you don't expect me not to have a dig at anything Micro$oft based do you.
Don't worry, my employers are trying to turn me to the darkside having sent me on a C# course and arranging and demanding I learn ms reporting services.

I ****ed all over their crappy MS based reporting system by writting some java apps to pull transient information out of an undocumented MS SQL database write it into an Oracle system and present a load of fancy statistical analysis and graphical presentation. Whoops what started as me ****ing on the app became the preferred customer interface
Old 27-04-06, 03:25 PM   #33
Kate

*puts hand up*

Yep, IT bod here too. Notes developer.

*sigh*
Old 27-04-06, 03:38 PM   #34
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm a Microsoft Cerified Trainer at a Hampshire based company. I teach SQL, Exchange, ISA, Active Directory, W2K3 Server, XP, Small Business Server, networking (MS and a bit of Cisco) and Office apps. I also run the training network and mentor students, as well as running seminars and attending meetings (my fave. NOT.)

Terence
N+, MCP+i, MCDST, MCSA, MCSE, MCT
OK, so you know nothing about IT apart from a bit of IOS
I walked rtight into that one, didn't I?
As someone who is responsible for over 70 *nix boxes you don't expect me not to have a dig at anything Micro$oft based do you.
Don't worry, my employers are trying to turn me to the darkside having sent me on a C# course and arranging and demanding I learn ms reporting services.

I p*ssed all over their crappy MS based reporting system by writting some java apps to pull transient information out of an undocumented MS SQL database write it into an Oracle system and present a load of fancy statistical analysis and graphical presentation. Whoops what started as me p*ssing on the app became the preferred customer interface
You'll like this then:

http://shelleytherepublican.com/2006...computers.html

Posted on one of our newsgroups today!

Oh and I don't work in IT.
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-06, 04:14 PM   #35
falc

Aye im an IT Bod, servers and networking bits are my game atm
Old 27-04-06, 04:20 PM   #36
El Saxo

From all the ' ' smilies being used, Im beginning to regret my choice of career change, currently working towards certification (done A+ so far, doing N+ at the mo, then MCSA, MCSE and CCNA)

Oh no, just realised that makes me a 'wannabe'...

In my defence, my job at the mo REALLY sucks.
Old 27-04-06, 04:27 PM   #37
neilhatch

I don't like to class myself as working in "IT". If I tell some this they'll turn to me and say ".....oh thats great I have a problem with running word in Windows".

In reply I'll say "I can't help you unless your windows environment also runs my teleooms billing/mediation/network provisioning system and is actually based on a HP super dome or Sun Cluster and incorporates weblogic and C programming"

Most times they'll shut up and ask an IT person.

I'M NOT I.T.
Old 27-04-06, 04:28 PM   #38
Skip
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Saxo
From all the ' ' smilies being used, Im beginning to regret my choice of career change, currently working towards certification (done A+ so far, doing N+ at the mo, then MCSA, MCSE and CCNA)

Oh no, just realised that makes me a 'wannabe'...

In my defence, my job at the mo REALLY sucks.
You know what they say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by They
Find a job you love and never work a day in your life
Ok I know they said it rather than wrote it, I was just trying to be a smartypants!
Old 27-04-06, 04:43 PM   #39
Jelster

Quote:
I'm pretty sure most people work with computers, I'm talking about those of us who are in support, development, training and (I include this reluctantly) sales.
What's wrong with sales then ??

I know there's plenty of poor sales people out their, but the same can be said for "techies" too....

Remember. it's people like me who pay your wages

Old 27-04-06, 04:58 PM   #40
Couerdelion

Yep.

Development Manager which means I have no-one ele to blame when things go wrong.

Still code, mainly SQL as I have others who can do front end work in .Net but only me I can trust to programme serverside procedures.