SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-09-08, 03:40 PM   #1
Alpinestarhero

Default Heated grips not working

My oxford heated grips don't heat I can only think that the controller (the old analogue dial) has given up; the red L.E.D still comes on, indicating that there is power getting to it from the battery, but the grips dont get warm. I've checked the connections and given them a clean with electrical contact cleaner, but nothing.

So, what could I use as a suitable new switch, something with a variable resistor in it?

Matt
Old 03-09-08, 03:54 PM   #2
neio79

Default Re: Heated grips not working

Yes they will be a variable resisor controling the current, hence the heat. Should be simple enough to take out and replace.
Old 03-09-08, 04:30 PM   #3
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by neio79 View Post
Yes they will be a variable resisor controling the current, hence the heat. Should be simple enough to take out and replace.
It is indeed that simple, however, there's half a tonne of epoxy resin inside the damn thing!!

Option 1: Acidic epoxy solution to clean the epoxy off, diagnose & replace the potentiometer. Reseal with epoxy.

Option 2: Visit Maplin, get a small plastic box, a potentiometer, a 12v LED, a little wire, and solder yourself a new controller.

Option 3: Ebay for a cheap controller. Or talk to Hovis, he's likely to have a spare controller kicking around from last year.
Old 03-09-08, 06:11 PM   #4
Alpinestarhero

Cheers baph, I'll ask hovis, but I'll probably end up making a new, water-tight, smaller controller.

Be prepared for numpty electronics questions
Old 03-09-08, 06:32 PM   #5
Grinch

You can test the grips by unplugging the controller and then plugging one of them direct into the control power supply. You get the full 12v to the grip and it should heat up lovely.
My analogue one failed and I had it replaced with the digital one and its rubbish. So at some point I'm going to Maplin to make my own.
Old 03-09-08, 07:17 PM   #6
thinone

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero View Post
My oxford heated grips don't heat I can only think that the controller (the old analogue dial) has given up; the red L.E.D still comes on, indicating that there is power getting to it from the battery, but the grips dont get warm. I've checked the connections and given them a clean with electrical contact cleaner, but nothing.

So, what could I use as a suitable new switch, something with a variable resistor in it?

Matt
how did you find out they weren't working - was it frosty this morning?
Old 03-09-08, 07:20 PM   #7
hovis

sorry.................. stupidly i left it on the bike

been looking on eblah, and the whole set up goes for about £35
Old 03-09-08, 07:27 PM   #8
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinone View Post
how did you find out they weren't working - was it frosty this morning?
cold wind down here on the coast, then it rained....
Old 03-09-08, 07:28 PM   #9
neio79

And his fanny hurt
Old 04-09-08, 06:46 AM   #10
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

My left hand heated grip has given up the ghost. Last time I just got a new controller and evrything was fine and dandy for a year or so. Always the same bloody side.

I have the Oxford analogue one also. Why is the new digi one so poor compared to the old one?
STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote