SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 30-01-12, 12:33 PM   #1
sandman

Default Solar Panels

Thinking of getting some solar panels but have no idea where to start

So who has them and how much did the installation cost
Looking at buying them outright rather than one of the schemes where they fit them but you do not own them

Cheers
Jerry
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-12, 12:37 PM   #2
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

Default Re: Solar Panels

Pm Flymo or search for his thread on it.
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-12, 01:11 PM   #3
Jabba

We had 9 x 240W Bosch panels (2.16kWh system) installed in early December (just before the 12th Dec cut-off which has since been put back) to get the 43p FIT rate. All-in cost was circa 9.4k, payback circa 8 years. Installed by our builder who has a company that does this.

We're with Utility Warehouse who give us an extra 2p on the FIT rate when export payments are made into our account rather than into the bank.

A few things to note:
1. Be careful as to how many roof-planes that you put the panels on. Each will give a different voltage and not many rectifiers can cope with more than two. Ours are on one plane only.

2. Make sure that the mountings are bolted into your roof joists and sealed properly where they go through the lining. Be careful with utility companies installing them for this reason.
Old 30-01-12, 02:58 PM   #4
pookie

Sanyo HIT panels with a SMA sunny boy inverter comes 5yr warranty.
Added an inline fuse box between inverter and panels.
Current payback period is 11 years projected from data collected since November. Roll on the summer
Now - 2010 Triton blue sv650s -Back to the future
pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-12, 04:38 PM   #5
tigersaw
Mega Poster

These figures for payback quoted - is that just the initial principal, or what the money would have been worth if invested?
If I put £10k in a 10 year bond at a rate of just 4%, it will be worth £15k in 10 years.
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-12, 05:00 PM   #6
pookie

this is just basic repay initial capital costs. No adjustments for net present values or inflation or interest rates. That said have not factored in increase in FIT rate that is also index linked or rise in electricity rates.
Unfortunately the only data is from november and its based on SAP calculator using the projected annual output by month to determine a return.

Happy to make any adjustments if it makes it easier to compare against the compound interest of a 10 yr bond.
Now - 2010 Triton blue sv650s -Back to the future

Last edited by pookie; 30-01-12 at 05:19 PM.
pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-12, 05:52 PM   #7
CT0312

Ive done a fair bit of research as i want some panels. Go for the hybrid ones if you can afford. They cost a bit more but are much more efficient.
Just a little cool thing i heard. They started developing and using these new ones in America where they run tubes round the back of them with the water in and that cools them down making them over 3x more efficient than normal ones as most the energy is lost in heat, and it also heats the water up for the building.
Old 30-01-12, 06:33 PM   #8
suzukigt380paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
We had 9 x 240W Bosch panels (2.16kWh system) installed in early December (just before the 12th Dec cut-off which has since been put back) to get the 43p FIT rate. All-in cost was circa 9.4k, payback circa 8 years. Installed by our builder who has a company that does this.

We're with Utility Warehouse who give us an extra 2p on the FIT rate when export payments are made into our account rather than into the bank.

A few things to note:
1. Be careful as to how many roof-planes that you put the panels on. Each will give a different voltage and not many rectifiers can cope with more than two. Ours are on one plane only.

2. Make sure that the mountings are bolted into your roof joists and sealed properly where they go through the lining. Be careful with utility companies installing them for this reason.
i really dont get it,do you get you money back by not using the generated electric and selling it back to the grid for double what it costs to buy it!coz on the face off it,if i spent 9.5k on a set up and i pay about £32 a month on DD for electic it would take 24.7 years to get my money back asumming i never ever buy any more electric for a nother 24 years,or am i missing something
Old 30-01-12, 06:46 PM   #9
CT0312

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzukigt380paul View Post
i really dont get it,do you get you money back by not using the generated electric and selling it back to the grid for double what it costs to buy it!
Sign up to the Government renewable energy scheme. They pay you for producing your own electricity to use. Any excess what you sell back to the grid is extra £££

Last edited by CT0312; 30-01-12 at 06:49 PM.
Old 30-01-12, 06:58 PM   #10
tigersaw
Mega Poster

I've never spent as long as 10 years at one house, and I doubt that will change, I like to move, so I'd be asking myself;
Would the PV panels be an asset or a liability when I come to move? I doubt a buyer would be willing to give the purchase value, but they may help sell the house as would a new kitchen or bathroom. On the other hand, if the FIT is not transferrable to a new owner (is it, and is that guarranteed?) then they are a bit of a chocolate teapot. In 10 years time will they still be seen in the same light, or be considered the fad that was solar water heating 20 years ago?
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote