SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 03-12-21, 12:44 PM   #11
embee
Mega Poster

Default Re: Older drivers and careless driving

This is the tricky bit (taken directly from the link text, assuming that is representative of the forthcoming statute)
"Pedestrians currently have priority over cars only if they are already crossing a road into - or from which - a car is turning, but a new Rule H2 gives priority to pedestrians who are waiting, mandating vehicles stop to let them cross."

The problems start when pedestrians who don't know the rules (and they won't) stand at the kerb looking at the car which has stopped part way round a corner not knowing what to do. Then they walk into the road and a car coming the other way who doesn't understand the rules fails to stop. (make up your own alternative scenarios).
We all know what happens at roundabouts where someone starts to move off then stops, and this could potentially happen at any and every junction where a pedestrian stands at the kerb.
I can't imagine the details of the law will be publicised widely, they rarely are, we are expected to absorb it by some sort of divine osmosis, and unless everyone understands it and drivers expect traffic to stop for sometimes no apparent reason then there are potential issues.
Crash for cash will be easy, they just need a pedestrian to hop out in front of the cfc car which stamps on the brakes and bingo.
I would also expect the plod to do some traps, watching at suitable junctions and grabbing any car which doesn't stop for a waiting pedestrian.
I wonder if the rules will apply at all junctions regardless of category of road. Turning into a side road off a main road with NSL and traffic doing 60mph or even a dual carriageway, cars stopping on the main road will potentially be a hazard.
Stroppy teenagers will probably love this, I've watched them deliberately stop traffic already, now it will be their right to do so.

We wait to see what the actual law says I suppose.
Old 03-12-21, 01:26 PM   #12
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
This is the tricky bit (taken directly from the link text, assuming that is representative of the forthcoming statute)
"Pedestrians currently have priority over cars only if they are already crossing a road into - or from which - a car is turning, but a new Rule H2 gives priority to pedestrians who are waiting, mandating vehicles stop to let them cross."
the secret word there is "waiting". to me this means pedestrians must wait till a car has stopped to let them cross. if a vehicle driver sees a pedestrian waiting then they must stop to let them cross. makes no mention about where there are already pedestrian crossings.

its all feked up...
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-21, 05:26 PM   #13
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post

The problems start when pedestrians who don't know the rules (and they won't) stand at the kerb looking at the car which has stopped part way round a corner not knowing what to do. Then they walk into the road and a car coming the other way who doesn't understand the rules fails to stop. (make up your own alternative scenarios).
We all know what happens at roundabouts where someone starts to move off then stops, and this could potentially happen at any and every junction where a pedestrian stands at the kerb.
I can't imagine the details of the law will be publicised widely, they rarely are, we are expected to absorb it by some sort of divine osmosis, and unless everyone understands it and drivers expect traffic to stop for sometimes no apparent reason then there are potential issues.
Crash for cash will be easy, they just need a pedestrian to hop out in front of the cfc car which stamps on the brakes and bingo.
I would also expect the plod to do some traps, watching at suitable junctions and grabbing any car which doesn't stop for a waiting pedestrian.
I wonder if the rules will apply at all junctions regardless of category of road. Turning into a side road off a main road with NSL and traffic doing 60mph or even a dual carriageway, cars stopping on the main road will potentially be a hazard.
Stroppy teenagers will probably love this, I've watched them deliberately stop traffic already, now it will be their right to do so.

We wait to see what the actual law says I suppose.
It states '
while another change states drivers should stop and give way to pedestrians waiting to cross the road before turning into or out of junctions.'
- which is what I thought already applied !
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-21, 05:29 PM   #14
svenrico

Generally, of course, passing the driving test doesn't mean somebody is a good driver. Attitude on the road seems to be a problem with some people.
Old 04-12-21, 08:05 AM   #15
keith_d
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
Generally, of course, passing the driving test doesn't mean somebody is a good driver. Attitude on the road seems to be a problem with some people.
So far as I can tell the driving test is just enough to stop you killing yourself or other people. It doesn't make you a competent driver, that comes with experience.

There are several factors which affect the standard of driving on the roads.

1) There are a lot more vehicles on the roads now than when I learned to drive. (OK, I'm an old git).

2) There is pretty much no enforcement by the police or highways agency. So people just do what they like.

3) There are some people who clearly just don't give a s**t. They will ignore any laws that don't suit them. That includes driving where they shouldn't, turning or changing lanes without warning, and generally driving like c**ts.

So be extra careful out there and keep it shiny side up.
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-21, 04:51 PM   #16
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_d View Post
So far as I can tell the driving test is just enough to stop you killing yourself or other people. It doesn't make you a competent driver, that comes with experience.

There are several factors which affect the standard of driving on the roads.

1) There are a lot more vehicles on the roads now than when I learned to drive. (OK, I'm an old git). but in your favour you have many years experience driving on the roads since them

2) There is pretty much no enforcement by the police or highways agency. Not sure about that So people just do what they like.

3) There are some people who clearly just don't give a s**t. They will ignore any laws that don't suit them. That includes driving where they shouldn't, turning or changing lanes without warning, and generally driving like c**ts.
tend to agree with that
So be extra careful out there and keep it shiny side up.
see my comments above in red
Old 06-12-21, 09:30 AM   #17
Luckypants
Mega Poster

I'd tend to agree with the no enforcement comment. Only an absolute offence such as speeding or running a red light that can be enforced automatically are enforced. More subjective offences which fall under the banner of bad driving are not enforced as there is no traffic police. If I'm ****ed and weaving all over the road, I'll not be picked up unless I crash, speed past a camera or run a red light with a camera.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-21, 05:14 PM   #18
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
I'd tend to agree with the no enforcement comment. Only an absolute offence such as speeding or running a red light that can be enforced automatically are enforced. More subjective offences which fall under the banner of bad driving are not enforced as there is no traffic police. If I'm ****ed and weaving all over the road, I'll not be picked up unless I crash, speed past a camera or run a red light with a camera.
No traffic police ?! Where do you live ?
Old 06-12-21, 06:16 PM   #19
garynortheast
Mega Poster

You're quite right Mike, it's the same in this part of Wales. I see plenty of speed camera vans but rarely, if ever, see traffic cops. I'd rather see the latter than the former,
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-21, 09:26 PM   #20
daktulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
No traffic police ?! Where do you live ?
I went on a bike safe course this year, and the police officer running it said there were three (I think) covering two counties, which means they rarely get out on their bikes.

As I understand it they were replaced by highways officers (who aren't police) and ARVs, who definitely are.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote