SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 13-12-21, 09:35 AM   #10291
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

HMRC. Aaaargh!!!!!
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-21, 10:29 AM   #10292
ethariel

HMRC - Oh I agree with you 10 fold.

I enquired about how to claim back 'French Witholding Tax' on company share dividends, boy did they go to town on me after that question - Undeclared Foreign Overseas Income! I didn't have a pathological hatred for them before that but now......

Been on PAYE for the past 1/4 century but ended up having to submit a tax return for 5 years on the back of that, share dividends now in shares not cash!
ethariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-21, 10:45 AM   #10293
garynortheast
Mega Poster

I'm going to amend my GotD as when I finally got to speak with a real person, she was very helpful and friendly. She gave me advice that saved me an £800 tax bill.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-21, 12:43 PM   #10294
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
I'm going to amend my GotD as when I finally got to speak with a real person, she was very helpful and friendly. She gave me advice that saved me an £800 tax bill.
If you think HMRC are bad, try and avoid having to deal with the DVLA. Even when you get through to speaking to a person it is like speaking to a robot.
I had about 6 months of trying to get through to their medical department to get my driving licence back ( medical condition but passed fit by hospital consultant due to satisfactory treatment ) When I eventually got to speak to somebody in the DVLA medical department they said they couldn't understand what had been going on and they would send my licence the next day, which they did. (about 6 months after they had actually received a letter from my hospital consultant stating treatment was successful and I was fit to drive !)
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-21, 01:13 PM   #10295
svenrico

'Having lost an initial appeal against a decision relating to the deployment of the safety car – which allowed Max Verstappen to pit for fresh tyres and then slot in behind and surge past his helpless rival – Mercedes were leaning towards putting the reputation of the sport before their desire to correct what they deemed a major injustice.
That was despite the emergence of Hamilton’s initial reaction to being passed by Verstappen, with the Brit shouting four corners before the chequered flag: “This has been manipulated, man.”
I am not a big follower but it looks like Hamilton has been fiddled out of the title. I understand he was leading by 6 seconds ,which is a long time in racing, before the safety car fiasco.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-21, 01:30 PM   #10296
DJ123
Mega Poster

It was a farce of a final few laps. Masi properly cocked up the safety car/lapped driver decision and cost Hamilton the Championship.

I would not be surprised if the result does not change with a legal challenge, even in spite of multiple rules being broken.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-21, 04:56 PM   #10297
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
HMRC. Aaaargh!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethariel View Post
HMRC - Oh I agree with you 10 fold.

I enquired about how to claim back 'French Witholding Tax' on company share dividends, boy did they go to town on me after that question - Undeclared Foreign Overseas Income! I didn't have a pathological hatred for them before that but now......

Been on PAYE for the past 1/4 century but ended up having to submit a tax return for 5 years on the back of that, share dividends now in shares not cash!
Quote:
In defence of my former department, unfortunately because everything has been moved to call centres all the call handling staff work to scripts and prompts, so it's not difficult to see why they can't deal with it like the old face to face relationship at a local office.

But someone decided to close all the local offices and centralise everything, so that's progress I'm afraid
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-21, 05:04 PM   #10298
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
'Having lost an initial appeal against a decision relating to the deployment of the safety car – which allowed Max Verstappen to pit for fresh tyres and then slot in behind and surge past his helpless rival – Mercedes were leaning towards putting the reputation of the sport before their desire to correct what they deemed a major injustice.
That was despite the emergence of Hamilton’s initial reaction to being passed by Verstappen, with the Brit shouting four corners before the chequered flag: “This has been manipulated, man.”
I am not a big follower but it looks like Hamilton has been fiddled out of the title. I understand he was leading by 6 seconds ,which is a long time in racing, before the safety car fiasco.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
It was a farce of a final few laps. Masi properly cocked up the safety car/lapped driver decision and cost Hamilton the Championship.

I would not be surprised if the result does not change with a legal challenge, even in spite of multiple rules being broken.
If there had been a racing incident during the Tour De France, then the race leader would have still had his lead when the race restarted. An example was when the level crossing closed to let a train through. All gaps remain the same.

So I found the decision to allow Verstappen to close up to Hamilton really odd, especially on fresh tyres, surely it gave him an unfair advantage? Why was he allowed to pit? I know Hamilton could have pitted, and maybe a tactical error by Mercedes.

Didn't make F1 look good, as in any race, when is the race leader penalised for something that wasn't their fault?
Old 13-12-21, 05:17 PM   #10299
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
If there had been a racing incident during the Tour De France, then the race leader would have still had his lead when the race restarted. An example was when the level crossing closed to let a train through. All gaps remain the same.

So I found the decision to allow Verstappen to close up to Hamilton really odd, especially on fresh tyres, surely it gave him an unfair advantage? Why was he allowed to pit? I know Hamilton could have pitted, and maybe a tactical error by Mercedes.

Didn't make F1 look good, as in any race, when is the race leader penalised for something that wasn't their fault?
Mercedes would lose track position, and not knowing how long the SC would be out for decided against it. Red Bull took a punt as it was theirs to Win/Hamiltons to lose.
The odd decision was to say the lapped cars could not unlap themselves (only that they could not over take) & then Masi only let the few through that were between Max & Ham. The rules say when this happens the safety car has to stay out for another full lap to let them catch back up to the back of the pack - which did not happen.
It should have either been red flagged, and had a re-start/5 lap shoot out. Or ended under the safety car.
Hopefully Mercedes got the proper review in Court on how this was handled (although this is not how i would like it to be decided) & its the final nail in Masi's coffin on this job and he gets gone.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-21, 07:46 PM   #10300
maviczap
Mega Poster

Red face Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
Mercedes would lose track position, and not knowing how long the SC would be out for decided against it. Red Bull took a punt as it was theirs to Win/Hamiltons to lose.
The odd decision was to say the lapped cars could not unlap themselves (only that they could not over take) & then Masi only let the few through that were between Max & Ham. The rules say when this happens the safety car has to stay out for another full lap to let them catch back up to the back of the pack - which did not happen.
It should have either been red flagged, and had a re-start/5 lap shoot out. Or ended under the safety car.
Hopefully Mercedes got the proper review in Court on how this was handled (although this is not how i would like it to be decided) & its the final nail in Masi's coffin on this job and he gets gone.
I think the SC should have stayed out until the end, Hamilton was 12 sec in front at the time of the incident, so wouldn't have been caught by Verstappen on the tyres he was on at the time.

Does seem like a monumental **** up