SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-01-22, 02:57 PM   #1
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Asimov quote

"When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent".
Isaac Asimov.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-22, 09:33 AM   #2
keith_d
Mega Poster

Default Re: Asimov quote

I like, "“Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived.” but in current times this might be more appropriate.

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-22, 11:12 AM   #3
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Have you watched any of Charlie Brooker's Black Mirror series?
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-22, 01:57 PM   #4
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Have you watched any of Charlie Brooker's Black Mirror series?
I haven't. I rarely watch any tv I'm afraid.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-22, 06:20 PM   #5
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
Isaac Asimov.
You can quite easily paraphrase this by swapping stupidity out for brainwashing or propaganda. On another forum I frequent, which is mainly UK-centric with a few other regular posters from elsewhere, a US poster is deliberately annoying everyone with his anti-vax nonsense, masks are for losers, the way he suggests the US saves everyone all the time, anyone who does not own at least one gun is a pathetic Liberal, the election was "stolen" by citing rubbish that's been proved incorrect, and that the Jan 6 insurrectionists were peaceful protesters... I ignore everything he posts but this particular forum template has a "block" feature which several users have started to make use of - and its driving him nuts as he's convinced every opinion other than the one he's chosen to believe is wrong.
Old 10-01-22, 07:51 PM   #6
chris8886
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
he's convinced every opinion other than the one he's chosen to believe is wrong.

This sounds like one or two we have here as well!
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob
chris8886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-22, 08:05 PM   #7
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

We're all guilty of it to some extent Chris but I like to think that Organs on the whole are polite enough to at least listen to others and not automatucally reject what others say whilst spouting constant insults about everyone they feel are "different" to them. This guy's bigotry is turned up to 11 along with his attitude.

Still, could be worse. Yet another forum I was on got so determined to be anti-woke and anti-PC that I signed out and deleted the link to it. The xenophobia and hatred were unbelievable...
Old 10-01-22, 09:15 PM   #8
Ruffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_d View Post
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
Ooo, I like this. In the past I've used " 'Democracy' is not the same as 'majority rule' " to try to get across a similar point. Others frequently can't see the distinction. (For the avoidance of doubt, mine is not an Asimov quote though!)

Quote:
... he's convinced every opinion other than the one he's chosen to believe is wrong.
Overcoming 'confirmation bias' and 'group think' does seem to be one of the most challenging aspects of debate nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris8886 View Post
This sounds like one or two we have here as well!
Quote:
We're all guilty of it to some extent Chris but I like to think that Organs on the whole are polite enough to at least listen to others and not automatucally reject what others say whilst spouting constant insults about everyone they feel are "different" to them. This guy's bigotry is turned up to 11 along with his attitude.
I see myself in the mirror on this on occasion - I know I'm an opinionated git at times.

But I hope I usually fall within Trev's set and, yes, I agree the org is a more balanced place than most on the web.

Surely the point of debate is to try to find out what is right, not to be right? Sad that the process has been corrupted nowadays in the rush for instant gratification, popularity or publicity. I consider myself a scientist - I query and challenge for understanding, not to demand my point be accepted (though sometimes it turns out I am fortunate enough to be close to the best truth). Also, I often play devil's advocate to deliberately present alternatives that I may not agree with personally. Sometimes overtly, sometimes covertly. I try hard to generally remain open to the possibility that I am wrong a lot of the time. (Although it probably doesn't always come across that way - my natural style is not 'shouty, shouty' but I've had to adapt to the way of the modern world and I know I'm not very good at it!)
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-22, 11:23 PM   #9
chris8886
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy View Post

I see myself in the mirror on this on occasion - I know I'm an opinionated git at times.

But I hope I usually fall within Trev's set and, yes, I agree the org is a more balanced place than most on the web.

Surely the point of debate is to try to find out what is right, not to be right? Sad that the process has been corrupted nowadays in the rush for instant gratification, popularity or publicity. I consider myself a scientist - I query and challenge for understanding, not to demand my point be accepted (though sometimes it turns out I am fortunate enough to be close to the best truth). Also, I often play devil's advocate to deliberately present alternatives that I may not agree with personally. Sometimes overtly, sometimes covertly. I try hard to generally remain open to the possibility that I am wrong a lot of the time. (Although it probably doesn't always come across that way - my natural style is not 'shouty, shouty' but I've had to adapt to the way of the modern world and I know I'm not very good at it!)

And it's comments and concessions like this, that make this place so good.
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob
chris8886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-22, 01:55 AM   #10
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
Isaac Asimov.
that sums up a pub full of british lager louts during football season.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote