SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 19-11-20, 02:23 PM   #11
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: Smile of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
Yes they have. There are many documented cases of Teslas still going strong after 300+k miles and as the Model S is now 8 years old, we have real life experience. Here is a roadtest and assessment of an old Tesla https://youtu.be/m9VxDzr7prc

If there is a risk of derailing the Smile thread, I'll open a new one and move these posts. What do people think?
I can save my amazement at that battery degredation for another thread. I'm genuinely hoping lectric cars are viable for all now but wrapped up in cynism ... I'm aware those views are probably formed from conversations 3 or 4 years so interested to learn more.
Old 19-11-20, 02:52 PM   #12
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:

If there is a risk of derailing the Smile thread, I'll open a new one and move these posts. What do people think?
Good idea

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 19-11-20, 02:56 PM   #13
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Default Re: Electric Vehicles

My uncle bought an electric car with a scheme from the manufacturer that the dealer lends him a petrol car 3 times a year for longer trips. He does Usk to Edinburgh 3 times a year to visit family and that's the only time that long charge times would be difficult for him. It would make it into a couple of days journey rather than one. The manufacturers know this and have schemes like a loan petrol vehicle in place for this reason. Most people are fine with the range capable now for 95%* of their journeys, but are put off buying due to their need for the other 5%* .

( *approx guestimate )
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-20, 02:57 PM   #14
admin
John T
Mega Poster

I was watching a YT video on repairing a battery pack on a 3 year old Leaf. The battery looks quite serviceable.

https://youtu.be/Ws9Y1be8N-U

Old 19-11-20, 02:58 PM   #15
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

The main thing that interests me about electric motorcycles is the torque. Many seem to have in excess of 200nm of torque! I love torque
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-20, 02:59 PM   #16
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
My uncle bought an electric car with a scheme from the manufacturer that the dealer lends him a petrol car 3 times a year for longer trips. He does Usk to Edinburgh 3 times a year to visit family and that's the only time that long charge times would be difficult for him. It would make it into a couple of days journey rather than one. The manufacturers know this and have schemes like a loan petrol vehicle in place for this reason. Most people are fine with the range capable now for 95%* of their journeys, but are put off buying due to their need for the other 5%* .

( *approx guestimate )
Same for me. I'd would be quite happy with an EV as 95% of my journeys are local.

Old 19-11-20, 03:17 PM   #17
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post

( *approx guestimate )
Thats not a bad idea! I must admit when my lease was up I wanted an electric car, but nothing had the range for my benchmark long distance trip that I could afford. I did consider hiring a long distance motor for these trips, but didn't like the idea of having a serviceable car at home while driving a rental! The 'swap' might have worked for me.

There were so many new EV vehicles promised last spring that I extended my lease by a year to see what happens. There are now vehicles I can afford and have the range, so that is no longer a problem for me. I hope to change next spring. I think a lot of people forget that on a long trip, you need pee stops and food stops - this is when you charge. A pee stop on the motorway will take 15 minutes or so, charge your car at that time and you get a useful boost in range. Food stop will be 45-60 minutes, which gives almost a full charge on most cars on a rapid charger. Ultra chargers such as Ionity / Gridserve /FastNED / Tesla Superchargers can charge to full in 30 minutes or less, depending on your car's capabilities. So you don't make fuel stops, you feed the car when you feed yourself - this means that 200 miles or so of range is sufficient even for long trips - at my age I cannot go 4 hours without a pit-stop!
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-20, 03:55 PM   #18
Grant66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
Not just grid supply, I was thinking if every house hold quadruples their draw and does it at once, when they get home at 7pm the street wiring might not be up to it
As the range of the vehicle improves the necessity to charge every day reduces. Range has increased considerably in the last few years, what will it be in another 10?

You don't refill your petrol tank after every journey, so why would you top up your electric car if it has another 400 miles to empty?

The worst case is that in 2030, I can't buy a new petrol car, but I can keep the one I have going. Surely that is an incentive for car manufacturers to produce something that is suitable for everyday use.

One idea to combat the charging/range issue is to have a common interchangeable battery pack. So at service station, swap battery pack, go on merry way.

There is a solution it just needs thinking about and setting a deadline gives the discussion and problem solving some momentum.

Sent from an S20 using Tapatalk with that kin cr4p blocked
Grant66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-20, 04:04 PM   #19
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
A discussion brewed up on the SOTD thread about electric vehicles, so I started this thread to move the discussion here.

What charging problem?
the waiting time from empty to full. lets say i'm a muppet and forget to plug the vehicle in when i get home so the next day i dont have enough charge to go where i want.. at the moment its going to take 1hr min to charge the vehicle. or even worse i have to charge on the go so sit somewhere for 1hr twiddling my thumbs. thats the problem with electric vehicles.

for electric vehicles to work we are going to need charge on the go provided by contactless charging road infrastructure. otherwise battery (petrol) stations where you get a fully charged 'pack' swapped over.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-20, 04:08 PM   #20
Seeker
Mega Poster

I like the idea of going electric but we are hopeless at implementing infrastructure. There are people still struggling with broadband and the (rural) cellular network is patchy at best. I can imagine being low on charge in the middle of nowhere with one charging station, a queue of 12 cars waiting and it closes in 15 minutes (but I'm a cynic).
Might be a good time to invest in vehicle rescue services or a mobile charging station with a massive diesel generator j/k.