SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-11-21, 03:16 PM   #1
aesmith

Default SV650S L2 Brake Hoses

Hi,

I need to replace the brake hoses. From what I have seen it appears everyone tends to go for the "race" pattern at the front, with two full length lines and a double banjo at the master cylinder. So I would be interested in comments on a few points ..
(1) Is that still the preferred option, or has anyone fitted and liked any of the three legged options that mimic the original? HEL do this pattern but I haven't seen it in the flesh, I believe it is three separate hoses with a joint block which fits to the fork in the same place as OEM.
(2) For those who've fitted the race pattern, how have you dealt with routing and securing? I can see a few issues for which hopefully people have already found plenty of options. (a) the bracket on the lower yoke, currently holding a single hose, now needs to hold two (b) need a hose support on the R/H fork leg and (c) hose support needs to properly hold these narrower hoses.
(3) What are the current thoughts on brands? I see "Venhill" popping up as well as HEL, and Goodridge
(4) Are there any compatibility issues between years? One thing I've found with the L2 is that lots of suppliers don't include that year in their listings. I know the calipers are the same as the earlier pointys, but I have a vague recollection of different threads at the M/C at some point.

Any comments very welcome,

Thanks, Tony S
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-21, 05:03 PM   #2
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Default Re: SV650S L2 Brake Hoses

I fitted the race option back in 2011. Can't say I noticed any real difference. See below.

http://www.sv650.org/sv_restorer_part2.htm#Spring_2011

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 20-11-21, 06:04 PM   #3
aesmith

Thanks. Particularly your picture hel3 answers one of my questions, you've been able to route both lines through the single clip on the lower bracket. I'm not particularly expecting improved performance, the old hoses need to go because of corrosion. However it's interesting that you say you don't notice any difference, whereas in your blog you say it made an improvement.
Old 20-11-21, 06:30 PM   #4
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
Thanks. Particularly your picture hel3 answers one of my questions, you've been able to route both lines through the single clip on the lower bracket. I'm not particularly expecting improved performance, the old hoses need to go because of corrosion. However it's interesting that you say you don't notice any difference, whereas in your blog you say it made an improvement.
Yes that was a contradiction. What I meant was I don't think the two lines system feels any different to a three line. The best improvement to any brakes is to replace the fluid every two years, makes a huge difference.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 20-11-21, 06:50 PM   #5
Bibio
Mega Poster

my ? is why do you need to change the lines?

in my limited experience its not the lines unless they are very very old and bulging that is the problem its everything else thats the problem. this can be to name a few worn discs, glazed pads, sticky calliper pistons, corroded sliding pins, master cylinder etc.etc.

so unless you need extended lines then there is nothing wrong with the oem ones and its marketing borlox that makes you think you need new lines.

but hey each to their own...
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-21, 07:10 PM   #6
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
my ? is why do you need to change the lines
Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
.....the old hoses need to go because of corrosion.
OP states the reason in his second post Bibs.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-21, 08:19 AM   #7
aesmith

That's a valid point, there's nothing wrong with the original hoses if they're in good condition. The biggest difference I've found is making sure the calipers are completely clean and free. However in my case the existing hoses are suffering from corrosion of the swages, now an MOT advisory. That particular part seems to have become a rust magnet on this particular bike in a way I don't remember from the previous one.

Regarding compatibility, I see that Hel have three different part numbers for the Pointy S, depending on age. K3-K5, K6-K8 and K9-L3. I wonder what the difference is. (As an aside I don't think there was an L3. My bike is a 2013 model but is still an L2, and I've seen 2015 models for sale with the same designation).
Old 21-11-21, 10:44 AM   #8
Bibio
Mega Poster

pointy's are a problem due to the oem splitter. twin setup is easiest overall, down and over is complicated on pointy due to banjo locating lugs on calliper, in my opinion down and spilt is neatest. no system is better than the other apart from when it comes to bleeding and twin setup is best.

what ever you buy make sure the banjo and bolts are stainless steel.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-21, 03:01 PM   #9
aesmith

On compatibility, the answer from Hel is that the three model ranges differ only in the length of the front hoses, the fittings are the same.