SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

View Poll Results: How good are they
good 4 44.44%
could be better 3 33.33%
crap 2 22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25-01-05, 09:59 PM   #1
Stig

Default What's the deal?

With Oxford Hot grips. Simple vote, good, crap, could be better.

Talking about the 2005 model ones here. Seen them on EBay for £35. Is it worth it?
Old 25-01-05, 10:02 PM   #2
Mr Toad

throttle side gets hotter than the left as it's insulated, so I sometime have one hand hot, and the other cold, or one hot, and the other boiling
Old 25-01-05, 10:05 PM   #3
Flamin_Squirrel

They could imo be warmer, as my hands still get a bit cold. However, since you have bar muffs, I think they'll work well for you.
Old 25-01-05, 10:08 PM   #4
Carsick

I only said could be better because of the whole right hand frying, left hand merely warm thing.

I think they're plenty warm enough, since the only part of my hand that ever gets a bit cold now is the tips of my fingers.

I'm yet to try them with my muffs, since my gloves are so huge I don't want to use them unless it's really bad.
Old 25-01-05, 10:13 PM   #5
Gforceuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsick
I only said could be better because of the whole right hand frying, left hand merely warm thing.

I think they're plenty warm enough, since the only part of my hand that ever gets a bit cold now is the tips of my fingers.

I'm yet to try them with my muffs, since my gloves are so huge I don't want to use them unless it's really bad.
Sounds exactly the same as the daytona one's i have.
Old 25-01-05, 10:30 PM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

If you get the new ones that are designed to work with alloy bars, they should both heat up the same... Mine do anyway. I could do with them going hotter but then I commute in all sorts of **** so I would say that.

They're completely and totally worth it, I wear HG pathan 2-finger gloves which are supposed to be some of the warmest non-heated gloves out there, and even then I was arriving at work with claws instead of hands. With the heated grips I still get cold but I never get reeaaally cold- I've done a couple of 4am Glasgow-Edinburg belts on really cold nights and been absolutely fine, I doubt that'd be possible without heated grips, heated gloves, or hand protectors.

I'd consider Klan heated gloves as an alternative but they seem like more of a fanny about (albeit probably warmer)... The Oxford grips are fit and forget.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-05, 10:38 PM   #7
Mr Toad

I use summer gloves, over the top of thermal liners (which are very thin)
Never had to turn it more than half way up
Finger tips still get cold around town - that's due to covering the clutch & brake levers
Out of town - no probs with hands fully wrapped round the grips

I think it has a psychological effect as well - when we came back from the Cotswold ridout on the 2nd Jan, I was happily warm all over, but the other guys I was with (Damian) were apparently freezing. If your hands are warm then perhaps the rest of you feels warm

Perhaps it doesn't get so cold down south
Old 25-01-05, 11:26 PM   #8
Wiltshire7

I use totally summer gloves. they have air intakes all over them. I dont ride in freezing weather but my hands dont get cold and i never use them on over half heat. most times on the minimum!

the right hand gets very slightly hotter than the left, but as the air goes in that glove more as i keep turning it i need a little more heat there anyway.

i was glad i paid the £35 after the first ride, let alone all the others.
Old 25-01-05, 11:44 PM   #9
jonboy

Better to go for the Heine Gericke ones, they're less bulky and work better - they also look like standard kit.