SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 11-04-06, 06:19 PM   #1
Jimmythesaint

Default Fuel injection blues

Goddammit,
It would appear that after only 2300 miles, my K3 has decided to develop a fuel injection fault. There I was deciding to take advantage of the first ray of sunshine to grace our northern skies, not to do anything as outrageous as actually ride a motorcycle in the highlands without getting wet, no , merely wash my beloved machine. However when I tried to start my bike to position it ready for washing, I wasn't greeted with the usual buzz of the fuel injection but a feeble hiss and an array of flashing F1 symbols and blinking red lights. The verdict from my owners manual was that the engine would not start.......well doh.
I contacted the dealer from whom I'd purchased my SV only 6 snow filled weeks ago and was asked if I had the side stand up and the clutch pulled in. Trying not to take offence at their assumption that I was a **** I explained that everything was as it should be and yes there was fuel in the tank. I now face an agonising wait untill the dealer can come and look at my bike and when I asked when this was likely to be they replied " ooh I dunno, do you really need it ?" .
Words fail me.
Old 11-04-06, 06:28 PM   #2
SVTONYB

Not what you want to hear after 6 weeks

Who did you buy it from

Is it a Suzuki dealer

Keep phoning them, make a nuissance of yourself
Old 11-04-06, 07:15 PM   #3
Jimmythesaint

I decided to try the bike again and after another 3 attempts the fuel injection buzzed into life!!!!! 11 miles later I returned home and killed the engine to try and start it again and...........nothing, same feeble hiss. 2 attempts later it started again.
If it starts tomorro I'm gonna take it to the dealer. The gearbox is very clunky and sometimes won't go in or out of gear first time. Is this normal??
Old 12-04-06, 05:10 PM   #4
independentphoto

Jimmy.

Might be worth checking as much of the wiring loom as you can mate. Get the seats off and the tank up etc. Once this has been done, look over the loom for signs of rubbing against the frame and other sharp(ish) parts. Perhaps it's a damaged cable somewhere. Probably not right enough, but well worth a look.

Garry
Old 12-04-06, 07:45 PM   #5
stev

that's a bit crap for you mate ! get them on the case and make a pest of yourself

clunky gear change very common when engine cold... but once it's warm it should be fine... if not then....

stev
Old 12-04-06, 08:21 PM   #6
Jimmythesaint

I managed to get the bike started this morning so I took it to work and then to the dealer afterwards. Turns out it was a dodgy connection to the battery, hmmmmm. I hope that is all it was coz i'm planning a trip to the isle of wight in the next couple of months. They also made a few tweaks to the clutch and the gear changes seem much smoother now.
Old 12-04-06, 11:43 PM   #7
SVTONYB

Glad you got it sorted and hope you enjoy what is almost a great bike (curvy is best)
Old 12-04-06, 11:56 PM   #8
independentphoto

Nice one Jimmy.

I wasn't too far out with checking the wiring then - you'd have spotted that with the seats off. Glad you've got the gearchanges sorted too though.

Garry