SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 01-02-12, 07:07 PM   #121
plowsie

Default Re: Could I earn a living?

Whatever you do...don't turn up on your bike

Only kidding pal...All the best to you, I remember this idea when it first kicked off so glad your following through with it. Stick with it, your reputation through here and through friends is a great starter for you.

Good luck!
Old 01-02-12, 07:10 PM   #122
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIZZY66 View Post
learn to say no to the crap that his pal jimmy tried to fix first
I agree with this one. If the bike looks completely fecked then just say no. There comes a point where you have a bike to fix that will cost ten times what the owner can afford to pay, and when you've lashed out for parts it's a job getting them to cough up enough to just cover parts costs let alone the labour. Not so bad when the bike is in your premises and they can't take it til it's paid for, but a nightmare when it's sat in their garage all the time you've been working on it.

We ask for a substantial deposit when the cost of repair looks likely to go over the value of the bike - happens a lot with young lads' scooters.
Old 01-02-12, 08:33 PM   #123
Tim in Belgium

Good luck with this Chris.
Old 01-02-12, 10:31 PM   #124
DJFridge

Good luck YC. I admire anyone with a viable idea, the get-up-and-go and the skill to carry it through. I know you've had shed-loads of advice already, this is just my thought (and it's easy for me to say this, because I don't personally know any of them):

There is no such thing as "mates rates".

If they are actually your friends, they will understand that you have to make a living wage or there is no point you doing it.

As others have said, the best form of advertising is word of mouth recommendations. Look professional, sound professional and, judging from the opinions of many people on this site, you'll do just fine.
Old 01-02-12, 10:45 PM   #125
punyXpress
Mega Poster

First dibs for a go on your ' courtesy ' bike, Chris?
Best of luck with your new venture.
Old 01-02-12, 10:53 PM   #126
Tom_the_great

im sure ive read it in another post but plus one on the stamp for services as to some folk (like me) it matters

best of luck :thumb:

Black Tinted Screen!, Evotech Tail Tidy!, OEM Rear Hugger!, R&G Crash Bungs!, Delkevic Exhuast!

Current Mileage = 3000 (Ish)
Tom_the_great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-12, 11:37 PM   #127
xXBADGERXx

Great news feller
Old 02-02-12, 07:47 PM   #128
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

Tell ya what YC - you've done the old mechanical engineering degree and know how to solve a problem or two with a bit of logic & whatnot, are there any problem solving ideas you've had like fixerpeg or the ones on chewys stuff? I know you dont really have the full on machining and milling capabilities but if you could get a local firm to produce some bolt on bits for you, it could be another arm in your arsenal?

(obviously not talking about just copying fixerpeg & chewys ideas, but if you've had any of your own which might be useful for other people - cheaper alternative to rentec/givi topbox or hard luggage mounts? Really easy bullet camera mounts designed to bolt on to standard fairing fixing points? Waterproof Gadget mount to fit popular fruit flavoured technology products)

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-12, 08:04 PM   #129
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzo View Post
Top Tip:

Don't signwrite your van with anything to do with motorcycles or you'll have every gyppo and pikey chav b'stard breaking into it to steal stuff. Black the rear windows and have internal bars or mesh.
Agreed... However

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
TBH I was intending on leaving the window clear and emptying it overnight, I'd rather the robbing chav tw*ts that live down the road can see into it that it's empty rather than cost me a new door every couple of months!
Do what my mums Gardner does, and have some removable signs made up, think his are that magnetic stuff.

You'll need to advertise, so every little helps, but you don't want them permanently on there for the pikey's to come and steal your stuff.

Also helps when you take stuff to the recycling centres, as ours don't accept trade waste, so he takes them off before he drops off his bags of cuttings etc.

Good luck and remember the customer is always right
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-12, 08:09 PM   #130
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

I gots magnetic roll in my office - ordered it in for a client & then never heard from them again. Been stood for a while if you're interested YC?

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote