SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 19-02-19, 05:34 PM   #3771
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Smile of the day - What is yours?

well that was the easiet networking i have done in my life.

never used homeplugs before but wife needs internet for netflix in her room.

got a homeplug kit and just tried it out in my house. plug one device into a plug socket then plug a cat5 cable into that then into a spare port on the the router. plug the other device into a plug socket somewhere else in the house and then a cat5 cable into a computer and boom... connection. no messin, no configuring, nowt. completely plug and play.

next up trying it at the home for the wife.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-19, 09:22 PM   #3772
maviczap
Mega Poster

Yep, nice and easy. The hardest part for me is pairing them, as the master plug is tucked behind a cupboard, so tricky to find the pair button
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-19, 08:36 AM   #3773
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
well that was the easiet networking i have done in my life.

never used homeplugs before but wife needs internet for netflix in her room.

got a homeplug kit and just tried it out in my house. plug one device into a plug socket then plug a cat5 cable into that then into a spare port on the the router. plug the other device into a plug socket somewhere else in the house and then a cat5 cable into a computer and boom... connection. no messin, no configuring, nowt. completely plug and play.

next up trying it at the home for the wife.
Been using homeplugs almost since they were introduced, why make life hard for yourself with all that cable when you already have perfectly good copper cable in your house - I have a couple of TP-Link Homeplug Wi-Fi extenders as well - simples....

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-19, 09:59 AM   #3774
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

I use homeplugs too to connect the Sky box to the t'interwebs. Much more reliable than the wi-fi connection that the box comes with.
Old 20-02-19, 10:01 AM   #3775
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
We may go on a beer sourcing trip to Dorset at some point in the future, which is the sort of daft thing we used to do when we were 18.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

If you get any spare beer samples from this trip pass them our way...
Old 20-02-19, 10:52 AM   #3776
Bibio
Mega Poster

got the TL-PA8010P. a bit flaky to begin with so had to turn the power saving mode off and change gaming to internet. watched netflix for hours last night to test it and so far so good.

with the above kit there is no master homeplug as either can become the router one.

done some hardware testing with turning the router on/off and same with the homeplugs also physically removing them from the wall socket and back in again. absolutely no problems. each time they have self configured.
Old 20-02-19, 11:12 AM   #3777
Seeker
Mega Poster

Looks like Virgin have fixed my broadband connection (the problem they told me I didn't have) which is good news or would be if I wasn't switching ISPs next Monday. Had they listened I would not have left but I see no reason to reward bad customer service.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-19, 12:41 PM   #3778
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
Looks like Virgin have fixed my broadband connection (the problem they told me I didn't have) which is good news or would be if I wasn't switching ISPs next Monday. Had they listened I would not have left but I see no reason to reward bad customer service.

Ditched virgin for plusnet last September, they obviously did not read my letters because they still thought I was not leaving even after i closed my account and were still sending me standard letters after I had left, they are also still emailing me monthly bills for £0.00 - I did not trust them and instructed my bank to cancel DD after last payment.... plusnet have been great and much cheaper, I get 70meg download and 17meg upload over phone line, and anytime free calls to landlines and mobiles.... it is nice to hear an English accent when contacting them and a lot of things can be done via their customer account website..

So far the service has been faultless and unlike virgin the modem has not needed re-booting, they actually gave me caller ID and 1571 answer phone for free, but I had to cancel the answer phone service as it was taking messages before our house answer phone was able to. After contacting plusnet via the customer website the service was removed within an hour ( and that was on a Sunday)... 5 stars so far..

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 20-02-19 at 12:46 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-19, 12:41 PM   #3779
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
done some hardware testing with turning the router on/off and same with the homeplugs also physically removing them from the wall socket and back in again. absolutely no problems. each time they have self configured.
I have TP-link kit, had it for years. Works, simples. As your tests show Bibs, they will re-connect and self configure in almost all scenarios (had to use pair button one time in past 10+ years). Power cuts do not affect them, router re-boots do not affect them etc etc. Great little devices and work very well for streaming.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-19, 01:10 PM   #3780
Bibio
Mega Poster

i'm going to the care home in a we while to install it. if there is no spare port on the router then i'll be stuck.

have been looking to see if there is a wifi (pickup) from router instead of ethernet then onto the powerline.