SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-03-19, 11:00 AM   #1
Rano

Default No main or dipped beam.

The search feature seems not to be working on the browser with my phone, so apologies if this has been delt with before.

Both Dipped and High beams lost at same time.
Side lights, indicators and hazards are all working correctly.

I have no feed to either of the fuses, but using a logic probe, if I feed 12v into the fuses individually, My dipped and main beams light up respectively. I believe this rules out, bulbs, connectors, earths, etc.

What I can't find is a drawing for the pointy models that have dipped beam fed as soon as ignition is on.
Need to work out the path from switched live, through to the switch (high beam and Pass) and back to the fuses. It seems that the headlamps circuits do not use relays either.

Does anyone have any links to drawings.

My bike is a 2011 SV650 S (SLO)

Thank you

Last edited by Rano; 22-03-19 at 11:02 AM.
Rano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-19, 11:09 AM   #2
Othen

Default Re: No main or dipped beam.

Hi,

You may download a good service manual and the parts list (free) for the pointy from 2003 (although I'm not sure it goes as far as 2011) from here:

https://www.carlsalter.com/suzuki-service-manuals.asp

There are some pretty clear wiring diagrams at Section 11 that may help.

Alan
Old 22-03-19, 01:16 PM   #3
Rano

Thanks for that Alan. Think I'll pull the tank off in a few hours, check the orange wire entering left side switch pack plug... Take it from there. (Hopefully wiring hasn't changed much.

Can anyone tell me if all the pointy S models had head lamps that come on with the ignition?

Cheers
Old 22-03-19, 01:18 PM   #4
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rano View Post
Thanks for that Alan. Think I'll pull the tank off in a few hours, check the orange wire entering left side switch pack plug... Take it from there. (Hopefully wiring hasn't changed much.

Can anyone tell me if all the pointy S models had head lamps that come on with the ignition?

Cheers

Mine does K6, so I’m thinking they probably all do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 22-03-19, 01:20 PM   #5
Rano

Smashing, cheers Alan.
Old 22-03-19, 05:57 PM   #6
Othen

Did you find the fault Rano?
I’ve just had a quick look at the wiring diagrams (assuming they are much the same in your later bike), it looks like it has to be some wiring that feeds the fuses, but I couldn’t see anything that was common to both circuits apart from the negative return (I think it was black/white), but then one would expect lots of other things in the cockpit not to work as well.

Old 22-03-19, 07:40 PM   #7
Rano

Alan, stripped the front end down, tank, airbox off etc. I went down the road following the orange feed wire, this seemed to feed the left switch gear, main beam and pass switches. I found a yellow 8 pin connector. Upon disturbing this loom, the lights lit up. The struggle was finding what was causing it. Eventually found yellow wire (with white tracer AND brown dots) that was high resistance at plug- socket tucked in front of the air box. This seems to be fed from the right hand switch gear. I've made a repair and lights are working again thankfully.
Looking at the plugs and wiring, I'm sure I'll be visiting many more of these gremlins. Not the best.
Old 22-03-19, 08:43 PM   #8
Othen

Well done, that is good news.
I had something similar with the right hand headlamp, I ended up opening up the short bit of loom inside the cockpit and found a poor connection close to the end.
I suppose the SV is built down to a cost and so there are a few weak points in the electrics.
Best wishes,
Alan

Old 25-03-19, 04:29 PM   #9
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Clean the plugs with contact cleaner ( and maybe fine emery on a fine screwdriver ) and squirt some ACF50 into the plugs to stop further corrosion / oxidisation which is the real enemy of electrical contacts. Bit of a vicious circle with corrosion as the worse the connection the hotter it gets, the hotter it gets the worse the connection gets....until eventually the plug melts.

Sometimes a dodgy crimp on the wire going to the plug / socket is to blame - in the past I have cleaned up the crimp and used plenty of flux to solder the crimp and improve the connection.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 25-03-19 at 04:32 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-19, 05:05 PM   #10
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Top tip I learned for improving connectors in blocks is to get the male side and slightly twist every connector with some long nose pliers. Not enough to properly bend it but just enough so it has a very slight offset and fits tightly into the female side, giving a more solid connection.

That and spraying them with contact cleaner and giving the metal a sand back as mentioned with some wet and dry wrapped around a small screwdriver.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote