SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-06-07, 10:12 AM   #1
andyb

Default Brake discs for GSXR front end

Given the help I got with my other post this morning I thought I'd push my luck and ask another question. One of my discs is warped so I'm going to be needing some new ones. Found some Braking Wavey discs on eBay for £299 delivered, anyone got any other prices (cheaper!) or opinions on these discs or any other manufacturers. I use my bike all year round (or have just started to) so they need to be able to stand winter use, also got to fit a 2001 GSXR750 front end set-up.

Cheers

PS I think I've decided on wavey discs and am trying very hard to justify the extra cost as opposed to 'normal' discs which I would only need one disc as only one is warped. (If this makes sense?!!!)
Old 07-06-07, 11:46 AM   #2
andyb

Default Re: Brake discs for GSXR front end

I'm looking at getting these ones:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...link:middle:uk

Whats the difference between floating & non-floating? Is one for racing or something?
Old 07-06-07, 12:44 PM   #3
northwind
Mega Poster

Braking are good for surviving winter, but not quite good enough... Mine have gone a bit scabby after one year, so did my Galfer rear- in fact the Galfer did much worse. To be fair, my bike takes a beating all winter so not much is up to the task- OE discs are, in my experience, the only thing that is. They're about 10 million times better than EBC at least, which rust so fast you can almost see it happen, it's uncanny.

Hmm. Wonder if you can get Braking rebuild kits? Cleaning mine properly would be a beast with them complete, but if I could pop the braking surfaces off I could just blast the corrosion, or get them skimmed...
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-07, 01:15 PM   #4
andyb

Bearing in mind you live in the coldest, probably most harsh, place in the UK I should be fine down here in the warm south during the winter?! My head says get the OEM ones (they're cheaper and are better fro winter) but I WANT wavey ones!!!
Old 07-06-07, 04:09 PM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

Could be worse, I could live under the sea But yeah, it'd depend a lot on usage, we get heavy salt treatment on the roads for 3-4 months a year and even when it's dry it's still wet, so it's pretty hard on exposed metal parts. Also, I'm too slack to wash it properly- ACF50 works wonders on most parts but it's not much use for discs.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-07, 08:41 PM   #6
BILLY

Andy I've got a spare TL disc which is a bit loose on the rivets but isn't warped it's yours for the cost of postage if you want! It will get you back on the road for a bit!