SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-01-08, 10:35 PM   #1
ThEGr33k

Default Buying a bike on Ebay

Has anyone done this. Im wondering about payment. If they are wanting a cheque then Id guess its going to be a little complicated with it having to clear etc.

I will be going to look at the bike before I bid on it.
I know this isnt a very informative question but any info would be appreciated.

I suppose any info on what I should do when buying private will also be applicable.
Old 16-01-08, 10:54 PM   #2
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Default Re: Buying a bike on Ebay

I have bought two off ebay, although technically one of them was in here too. Norfolk was along way to go to get that, but i wasn't disappointed. Can't say I've found a problem if you know what your looking at and for. I paid a deposit on the SV and went with the cash, when I picked her up. Always felt paypal was dodgy for a huge lump like that. Saying that, the second one I paid half paypal for deposit and the guy trusted me to put the rest through paypal after yorkiechris had picked her up. cause i were on nights

I sold my 125 on ebay too, and got back what I paid for it, bargain.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-08, 11:00 PM   #3
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

I've bought off ebay before, i paid a deposit via paypal and then took the balance in cash when i went to pick it up
Old 16-01-08, 11:01 PM   #4
ASM-Forever

I've bought and sold on ebay. Therefore.....

Normally you are expected to make a deposit within 24 hours(paypal?) and then the rest on collection(cash?). You could also arrange to collect straight after you win it and pay it all there and then. If you pay by cheque then the seller would be mad to let you take it, until it clears. For a few quid you could get a bankers draft.

If its a private sale then satisfy yourself that there really is nothing wrong with the bike, as i expect it will be sold as seen. If you have the slightest doubt then IMO walk away. It might also be a good idea to budget a little extra in case something goes wrong.

Apart from looking the bike over, try and get a test ride. Remember you will need to show license/insurance and probably have something to hand over as a deposit.

Do make sure to check the consumables. Tyres, chain/sprockets can soon add up and if they're old, factor that it when you decide what to bid.
Old 16-01-08, 11:01 PM   #5
Paws

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post
I've bought off ebay before, i paid a deposit via paypal and then took the balance in cash when i went to pick it up

same here, had no probs
Old 16-01-08, 11:26 PM   #6
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paws View Post
same here, had no probs

I had no probs either it all went very smoothly
Old 16-01-08, 11:30 PM   #7
ThEGr33k

I dont think a test ride will be possible, Its SORN and so not taxt or insured + I dont have 3rd party insurance on other people's bikes.

Im willing to risk it I think. Ill check all the major things when I go, so the battery (which can suffer on this bike) by checking it starts. Check the engine sound and the oil level/colour. I think it should be fine as it is a low milage bike. Ill check the bike history using the ebay status report thingy. ?7 but if it saves me from losing more its worth it.

What do you recon from the link?

Oh and please dont out bid me!

Last edited by ThEGr33k; 17-01-08 at 12:09 AM.
Old 17-01-08, 12:59 AM   #8
ASM-Forever

Booooo you removed the link.
Old 17-01-08, 01:18 AM   #9
ThEGr33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASM-Forever View Post
Booooo you removed the link.

What I dont quite understand is that no one is bidding on it. Wierd. maybe its because of the high start price, but then others start lower with a high reserve (whats the point!?!?!?).

Ill be able to discuss everything I guess when I go and have a look. Then if im happy bid away.

Old 17-01-08, 01:37 AM   #10
Lozzo

I never bid on anything until about 30 seconds at most before the auction ends. To me it's not a race to see who can push the selling price as high as possible. If everyone did the same then ebay prices wouldn't go skyhigh silly.