SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 29-08-12, 11:59 AM   #1
AndyBrad

Default broken bones how long to heal

Alright folks, wondering if i can get some advice?

Broke my collarbone 2 1/2 months ago while doing a wheelie past a group of topless girls (or slipped on diesel depending on who you talk to) Anyhow its still no where near fixed. x ray yesterday showed no signs of improvement at all and the bones still have a gap batween them. Personally i cant see it getting much better without it plating but they dont want to.

So has anyone else done this (there must be loads) and how long did it take? Also does anyone know how i might be able to get it fixed if i go rivate (looking at selling car etc to fund it but dont know where to start) Any help is appreciated.
Old 29-08-12, 12:04 PM   #2
Elliott

The initial stitching period of thin bones can take up to 6 months.

Have you spoken to them about having it pinned? Yes it's an operation but forces the bones together promoting bone growth.
Old 29-08-12, 12:05 PM   #3
Spank86

Default Re: broken bones how long to heal

I'm no expert but I'd have said if theres a gap it won't heal.

ANd the gaps not going to pull together on its own, I'd want a second opinion or at least an explanation of how they expect the gap to bridge itself because the longer its left broken the weaker the break will be when it finally does repair.
Old 29-08-12, 12:13 PM   #4
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

You can tell them to plate it, be adamant. when my friend was in hospital they wouldn't rod his back for ages for some bazaar reason, eventually he lost his patients and told them to do it and they did

When I fractured my spine it took about 2 and half years before it was reet, but then my arm only took 6 weeks, everything and everyone is different

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-12, 12:21 PM   #5
minimorecambe

My collar bone healed wrong as the doctors wouldn't listen to me when I told them it was broken and they refused to x-ray it (even though I was having weekly x-rays of my pelvis to check that was healing)

Took about 2 months for the pain to subside and for me to be able to move my arm properly and use crutches.

Once they x-rayed it and realised it was in fact broken but too late they said that the only thing they could have done was to put a sort of elastic band around it to pull it back together. They do this a lot for rugby players who break their clavicle supposedly.
Old 29-08-12, 12:42 PM   #6
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Another spinal fracture. Xray supposedly showed no damage. After 12 months of agony they sent me to the pain clinic where a doctor proved there was a fracture on the xray that showed no damage. Too late, its healed how it has I suppose, dunno what if nothing they could have done anyway, but it would have been nice to get some care!

Second opinion Andy, sooner the better. 12 months takes the pee, when you know somethings wrong and they say they are right.
IIRC pan trasher had pins and plates because his collarbone wouldn't knit. He had a heep of **** for years.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12

Last edited by dizzyblonde; 29-08-12 at 12:44 PM.
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-12, 01:22 PM   #7
Mikey10

My dad had a clean break to his left colarbone about a year ago and it must of been atleast 3 months before any proper healing started he was close to going back for surgery but x-rays eventually showed that healing took place and lets just say a year on and he still gets odd pains from it so give it a few more weeks and if no signs appear seek further treatment.
Like mentioned everyones different.

Hope everything works out.
Old 29-08-12, 01:25 PM   #8
davepreston

2 1/2 months after the fact it should have began to heal, go to your GP ,inform him you want it fixed and now, by plate or pin you dont care, your GP should back you up and put you on the right track
Old 29-08-12, 06:52 PM   #9
Bri w

Had a lateral break of the collarbone late Dec 2005. Had to sit in the corner of the sofa, apart from loo visits/Mrs Bri showering me, for 8 weeks. Arm strapped to the body and a T-shirt over it to hold the arm in a position that promoted healing. It was a right PIA... GP said it would/should have been pinned but because I did it a couple of days before Xmas it was decided to go the natural way. Mate had broke his playing footie about the same time, pinned/plated and up and about virtually straightaway.

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-12, 07:22 PM   #10
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Had a fracture to the outer end of my collar bone about 9 weeks ago after coming off my mountain bike. It's now pretty much completely healed, just the occasional twinge to remind me to be careful.
However the scaphoid in my left thumb which I fractured back in March (I think) is still hurting.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote