SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 03-10-12, 12:17 AM   #1
Lozzo

Default Insurance anomolies

Right - my Versys costs £126 fully comp per year with full NCB.

Yesterday I insured my 1995 C90 for the year at a cost of £58.20 TPF+T with no NCB as it's all on my Versys.

While I was on the comparison sites I checked out prices for my CBR600 and my TS250. What follows really doesn't make sense to me.

1998 CBR600FW = £57.50 TPF+T or £62.89 Comp

1979 TS250C = £63.77 TPF+T

Same personal details, all I changed were the bikes. Who can make sense of this, the CBR600 would cost 70p less than my C90 and the TS250 more than that?
Old 03-10-12, 02:32 AM   #2
madnlooney

Default Re: Insurance anomolies

sometimes i think they pick numbers from a 'countdown style' game board, add them up and thats the quote
Old 03-10-12, 03:35 AM   #3
BanannaMan

LOL that's insane!!

I had to sorn my C90 and ride a 600 to save on insurance.
LOL No one would believe you.

"The Mountains are calling and I must go"

BanannaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-12, 06:57 AM   #4
Fallout
Mega Poster

It's just statistics mate. C90s obviously get nicked and crashed all day, every day.
Fallout Breakbeat (My Music)
Fallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-12, 07:10 AM   #5
pookie

they always say that but why dont they make the figures transparent so we can all have a gander rather than hide it all and price fix between the insurance companies . They all sing from the same sheet.
Now - 2010 Triton blue sv650s -Back to the future
pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-12, 07:44 AM   #6
Owenski

Ah see where you're going wrong Loz is you're trying to apply logic to insurance quotes, the two rarely combine.
Old 03-10-12, 09:45 AM   #7
TamSV
Mega Poster

Quite possibly different insurers/products/underwriting strategies. More insurers want to cover CBRs than the other 2?
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-12, 11:26 AM   #8
Stephen McG

About 10 years ago, our son was driving from Glasgow to Newquay so he enquired about getting girlfried on the insurance to share driving.
He was quoted a £30 refund !!!
He got her added and shortly after a refund came in post.
After this, many of his pals got 'notional girls' added to their policies and they many also got refunds.
One lad got a name added to get refund, but was not going to tell her and was certainly not going to let her drive his car.
SMcG in Glasgow
Old 03-10-12, 11:40 AM   #9
oOTomOo

I always put my mum on my car policies.

It lowers the overall risk of the policy, which gives you a cheaper premium..
Old 03-10-12, 11:46 AM   #10
ClunkintheUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen McG View Post
About 10 years ago, our son was driving from Glasgow to Newquay so he enquired about getting girlfried on the insurance to share driving.
He was quoted a £30 refund !!!
He got her added and shortly after a refund came in post.
After this, many of his pals got 'notional girls' added to their policies and they many also got refunds.
One lad got a name added to get refund, but was not going to tell her and was certainly not going to let her drive his car.
SMcG in Glasgow
Yeah, been doing this for years. So did loads of my mates at Uni. We thought the 'reason' this brings it down is not the girl driving but because they assume that the girl is your girlfriend and that you are therefore in a stable relationship so less likely to drive like a spaz on speed. I am guessing this is shown in the statistics too.

I also brought down the insurance of my ex, and she brought mine down.

Lozzo, your C90 is probably more expensive to insure because they are not generally ridden by the same type of person who ride a 14 year old CBR600.

Most of the C90s, in London certainly, are ridden by people in suits with Momo p*sspot lids who try to follow the cycle couriers around, but with significantly less skill.