SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-07-06, 02:32 PM   #1
BIKER-DENE

Default excessive smoke wen cold

when the bike cold it shoots out loads of blue smoke and it pongs like burning oil.

now the guy in the shop said change the oil coz iv only got cheap stuff in at the moment.

i recently changed the plugs and the cheap oil i have in has only done 2k int he bike

any idea what it could realy be?

im going to change the oil today and clean the air filter.

could it be the oil filter?

(how can i clean the filter? a m8 said soapy water and rinmse allt he soap out and leave to dry in the suna nd it will be fine?)
Old 16-07-06, 03:10 PM   #2
Gnan

could be worn seals allowing oil into the engine where it is burning, cheap oil won't have helped!
Old 16-07-06, 03:25 PM   #3
Jabba

What year is your bike, how many miles has it done and does it have a reasonable service history?
Old 16-07-06, 04:48 PM   #4
Peter Henry

BD..I think you perhaps need to take a rethink on some of your false economics my friend. Cheap oil? Don't expect the best engine protection unless you are changing the oil VERY regularly.

Cleaning the Oil filter and re-using? Is it one designed for that purpose? If not another major mistake in my view.
Old 16-07-06, 04:58 PM   #5
BIKER-DENE

thanks guys

when i said cleaning the filter i ment the air filter and replace the oil filter lol

and its cheap oil just found out its mineral based ooops lol

got some propper bike oil here now tho.

bike is 6 eyars old year 2000

and has done 36 thousand miles

perfect service history loads of paper work .

i get it serviced every 12k miles.

and iv just remove the air filter and found loads of oil in the bottom of it and the filter is brown :S :S
Old 16-07-06, 05:00 PM   #6
Peter Henry

Looks like the place to start then mate. New air and oil filter and slap in some good oil,you know she deserves it.
Old 16-07-06, 05:01 PM   #7
BIKER-DENE

will K&N air and K&N oil filters help at all?
Old 16-07-06, 05:07 PM   #8
Peter Henry

K and N are good kit mate. Normally ridiculously long service life on the air filters,(if they have them for a curvy,my bike was a K3 pointy) not sure if worth going to the expense of a K and N oil filter though tbh. Key is good oil and change reasonably frequently.

I have to put ridiculously expensive oil in my present bike and it has been changed 3 times in 10k km! (And she don't smoke when cold!) :P
Old 16-07-06, 05:46 PM   #9
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Henry
not sure if worth going to the expense of a K and N oil filter though tbh.P
I bought a K&N oil filter this time round. Cost me a couple of quid extra, but comes with nut on top, which makes it a doddle to get on, or more importantly off when you change it next.
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-06, 05:51 PM   #10
Saint Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIKER-DENE
i get it serviced every 12k miles.
Should really be every 4 mate tbh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIKER-DENE
and iv just remove the air filter and found loads of oil in the bottom of it and the filter is brown :S :S
They do that mate, the crank breather goes to the airbox. Check the blanked off pipe that should go down the right side of your engine, get a diposable cup or somehting and take the plug at the end out, should come out.