SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-11-06, 11:28 AM   #1
Blue_SV650S

Default Curvy Ohlins shock spring numbers

Ok, looked on the Ohlins website and not got far … what are the numbers printed on the spring for a curvy ohlins shock (46HRCL) and what weight rider is that mapped around??

Basically I may have found a 2nd hand shock, but would like to know if it has been sprung about right before I agree to buy (the seller knows jack!!)
Old 10-11-06, 12:32 PM   #2
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Default Re: Curvy Ohlins shock spring numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S
Ok, looked on the Ohlins website and not got far … what are the numbers printed on the spring for a curvy ohlins shock (46HRCL) and what weight rider is that mapped around??

Basically I may have found a 2nd hand shock, but would like to know if it has been sprung about right before I agree to buy (the seller knows jack!!)
Right most if not all this should be right. I can't exactly check my notes now so ......

46HRCL- showing the adjustments it has correct
The part number for the SV is SU852(Ohlins site) which should be stamped on bottom Ally spring collar. I can't recall if it's which side of the collar base it's been ages since I had one of the piece of ****e :P (who is the seller again so I can go help him dispose of the crap properly)

The numbers on the springs(out of the box Ohlins) I believe is 1091-31 and again I believe is same spring rate as standard.

HTH

Cheers
Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-06, 01:01 PM   #3
Blue_SV650S

Default Re: Curvy Ohlins shock spring numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21QUEST

The numbers on the springs(out of the box Ohlins) I believe is 1091-31 and again I believe is same spring rate as standard.

HTH

Cheers
Ben
Cheers, any ideas what the numbers relate to and what 'weight' rider the standard spring is based on/for?
Old 10-11-06, 02:43 PM   #4
northwind
Mega Poster

The spring, if memory serves, is a .85, which is pretty soft. I'd assume that it's valved accordingly- you hear a lot from the SV Rider builder guys about how badly set up the Ohlins is as standard, but I can't really comment, since mine isn't standard. Just thought I'd mention that though.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-06, 03:18 PM   #5
chunkytfg

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
The spring, if memory serves, is a .85, which is pretty soft. I'd assume that it's valved accordingly- you hear a lot from the SV Rider builder guys about how badly set up the Ohlins is as standard, but I can't really comment, since mine isn't standard. Just thought I'd mention that though.
Dont quote me on this but i think you mean either 8.5kg or 85nm on the spring rate as .85 is the wieght an average rider would use on the front springs.

Also i think you are wrong with the rate of the shock spring as standard anyways. My shock has an uprated spring on it and it's a 8.0 kilo one which i beleive is up from a 7.5kilo.

Like i say though i could be wrong. also i cant even use SV650racer/sarah as a sounding board as she's off galavanting round jerez today

You'll have to wait a see if rob somes along to tell all
Old 10-11-06, 03:26 PM   #6
weazelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkytfg
Quote:
Dont quote me on this but i think you mean either 8.5kg or 85nm on the spring rate as .85 is the wieght an average rider would use on the front springs.

Also i think you are wrong with the rate of the shock spring as standard anyways. My shock has an uprated spring on it and it's a 8.0 kilo one which i beleive is up from a 7.5kilo.

Like i say though i could be wrong. also i cant even use SV650racer/sarah as a sounding board as she's off galavanting round jerez today

You'll have to wait a see if rob somes along to tell all
the racetech site has spring rates for shock springs, they don't quote one for the SV but an '06 GSX-R600 is 9.4 kg/mm, just as a guide

http://www.racetech.com/evalving/eng...ngname=english

remember that you get two springs at the front so you effectively get double the spring rate
Old 10-11-06, 03:42 PM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

[quote="chunkytfg"]
Quote:
Tarnation, you're right, that's what I meant to type. 85Nm.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-06, 04:04 PM   #8
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by weazelz

the racetech site has spring rates for shock springs, they don't quote one for the SV but an '06 GSX-R600 is 9.4 kg/mm, just as a guide

http://www.racetech.com/evalving/eng...ngname=english

remember that you get two springs at the front so you effectively get double the spring rate
As it is the 636 shock you should fit to a curvy, not a GSXR, this one is prolly more relevent. http://www.racetech.com/evalving/eng...ngname=english

Stock Shock Spring Rate 9.7 kg/mm (stock)
Ideal Rider Weight for the Stock Spring 220 lbs or 100 kg

I still don't know how to relate this to the Ohlins spring numbers ...
Old 10-11-06, 08:12 PM   #9
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S
I still don't know how to relate this to the Ohlins spring numbers ...
Ask the seller for the numbers on the spring on the shock.

Looked at my notes :P and the SV Ohlins shock comes with a 95N/m(approx 540Lbs/inch) out of the box.
On the Ohlins springs you should have four sets of IDs' 90??-3?/9? L??

Also how much does Bluey weigh anyways

Cheers
Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-06, 01:04 PM   #10
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21QUEST
Ask the seller for the numbers on the spring on the shock.

Looked at my notes :P and the SV Ohlins shock comes with a 95N/m(approx 540Lbs/inch) out of the box.
On the Ohlins springs you should have four sets of IDs' 90??-3?/9? L??

Also how much does Bluey weigh anyways

Cheers
Ben
Ok, so what does this mean?? 1096-16/64

I am about 12.5 stone, can go up or down by a few pounds depending on how strict I have been with diet and exercise But i tend to hover around that mark without going silly either way.