SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-10-09, 01:37 PM   #31
wyrdness

Default Re: How do I get earplugs to stay in my ears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
I have 3 types, with the yellow foam ones and I snip a few mm off the length and they still work fine.

Or try these:

http://www.boots.com/en/BioEars-Soft...3-pairs_39424/

Or these:

http://www.earplugshop.com/shopping/...pine/motosafe/

I have the same problem with headphones - if I go for a run they don't stay in my ears so I either have to wear my massive DJ style headphones and get sweaty ears, or put plasters over my ears ones the earphones are in. Either way I look like a mad person running about.
I've just tried some of those bio-ears and they're terrible. I had to take them out after a few miles and put my foam ones back in. The bio-ears hardly block any sound at all.

I've just ordered two sets of plugs from Ebay, the 'rhubarb and custard' laser lites and the Earsoft FX plugs. Both seem to be highly rated so I'll see which of them I prefer.
Old 17-10-09, 10:24 AM   #32
Philbo

Best earplugs ever, and I've tried loads through work...

Almost as good as the these things...but you can't fit these under a lid!

Almost as good as the custom ones, but a damn site easier to replace when you loose one at the petrol station like me! "Yes sir, no problem one replacement custom earplug...that will be £40"

If you use these plugs after using the rhubarb and custard type plugs you'll notice a big difference. The foam is that bit denser, you need to press that bit harder to roll them down nice and small. When they expand in your ear your supposed to hold them in place, like all plugs, but you can really feel them expanding. I expect it would be a similar sensation to having someone squirt a bit of "no more big gaps" expandafoam in your ear!

They grip well once expanded, and stay in place when pulling on your lid. Only word of warning. They are that wee bit bigger in diameter than other plugs, are that bit firmer, and do "push out"/expand with a bit more force than other plugs. So might not be so good for folk with smaller, or sensitive ear holes.

Think of them as the "Yorkie" bar of the earplug world..."Not for girls"

Last edited by Philbo; 17-10-09 at 10:47 AM.
Old 17-10-09, 10:33 AM   #33
-Ralph-

I'd be a bit careful about pushing them in too far, you don't want them expanding such that they put pressure on your ear drum, you'll know after half hour if they are 'cos it won't be comfortable, but then your tempted just to put up with it rather than stop, take your gloves off, take your lid off, etc, etc. I put mine in all the way, let them expand, then pull them out a couple of mm.

I'd also be careful about moistening the plug too, if you ride every day and do this you might give yourself a fungal ear infection.
Old 17-10-09, 10:48 AM   #34
Philbo

Good point Ralph, I've never heard of anyone wetting their ear to fit an earplug, you shouldn't have too. Ear-infection-tastic...
Old 17-10-09, 05:57 PM   #35
boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo View Post
I expect it would be a similar sensation to having someone squirt a bit of "no more big gaps" expandafoam in your ear!
I think I'll try this expanding foam idea, could be much more cost effective than plugs.
Old 17-10-09, 07:39 PM   #36
Miss Alpinestarhero

Default Re: How do I get earplugs to stay in my ears?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
Right! I've been experimenting, and I've worked out that If I roll them well, and shove them in hard and fast
Dont shove them too far into your ears, you dont want to risk doing some damage..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Speirs View Post
I have custom ones however I am having issues with them at the minute, just in the middle of talking to Ultimate Ear to see if they can sort them...major itching going on.
Dont the custom ones degrade and go hard over time? Id be intrested in knowing if the material is similar to the one my hearing aid moulds are made out of.

As for the itching...well, do you wash them regularly with soap & water? If you havent had them long then perhaps you're slightly allergic to the material?

Or it could be a simple case of the warm weather causing your ears to expand and rub on them - my ears itch like crazy in the warmer weather or if I go from hot and cold tempatures quite suddenly
Old 17-10-09, 07:49 PM   #37
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Speirs View Post
...major itching going on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Alpinestarhero View Post
my ears itch like crazy in the warmer weather or if I go from hot and cold tempatures quite suddenly
This is defo something to consider folks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
you might give yourself a fungal ear infection.
I use disposable plugs, so that's not and issue, but I still get some damn itchy ears on occasion, especially in summer, I think my rubber in-ear Sony earphones don't help matters. Canesten rubbed in on the end of a finger twice a day for a week sorts it.
Old 17-10-09, 08:09 PM   #38
wyrdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Alpinestarhero View Post
Dont the custom ones degrade and go hard over time? Id be intrested in knowing if the material is similar to the one my hearing aid moulds are made out of.

As for the itching...well, do you wash them regularly with soap & water? If you havent had them long then perhaps you're slightly allergic to the material?
My hearing aid is washable, as I've just found out by accidentally putting it in the washing machine. What a muppet I am. I'm surprised that it still works.
Old 17-10-09, 11:58 PM   #39
Milky Bar Kid

I have a problem with itchy ears, find I get it really bad with my ear piece at work, it's not even an intrusive one. Its wee ear shaped peice of rubber that sits in my ear without anything going into the canal but it STILL gets itchy. Ear Plugs make them itch like made too!
Old 19-10-09, 05:34 PM   #40
Miss Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Bar Kid View Post
I have a problem with itchy ears, find I get it really bad with my ear piece at work, it's not even an intrusive one. Its wee ear shaped peice of rubber that sits in my ear without anything going into the canal but it STILL gets itchy. Ear Plugs make them itch like made too!
Your probably allergic to the material of it..ears are sensitive things and it doesnt take much to make them flare up and go crazy..!