SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-07-07, 11:57 AM   #1
fat_brstd

Default electrical issues it think (on a tl)

Having got my tl i have been having a few problems with it. It all seemed in good order but i have now realised that the fan on the radiator doesnt work at all so the only way to keep the bike cool is to ride very fast. Also my high beam indicator light on the dash doesnt appear to be working all the time but the indicator light on the dash is fine as is the low fuel light. could it be something as simple as a fuse or am i going to have to strip the front off it and actually work out whats going on. Note that i really really suck at electrics, im fine with mechanical things i can see moving but wires confuse me.

Im getting an engine temp read out on the bottom of the tach but im not sure if this is the trigger for the radiator fan or if its a different heat sensor. If i get the engine up to temp 65-70 degrees and then try and manually start the fan moving it spins from me flicking it but doesnt carry on working so its not the motor on the fan failing to have enough touque to get it moving and it does spin fine when manually moving it around, its doesnt have anything stopping it from spinning.

The bike does have a different rear light unit on it, its an led thing with integrated indicators which i know the previous owner had to mess about with because they were an mot fail. He may have cut something he shouldnt have but when i wired it back in it was just 2 wires under the seat hump.

Just hopping someone might have some ideas so i can have a go at it rather than paying for womeone else to bodge the electrics about even more. cheers guys
Old 24-07-07, 12:25 PM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: electrical issues it think (on a tl)

Can't remember much about the TL specifically, so do these:
Fuses?
Is everything connected properly?
Disconnect the fan wiring and connect the fan directly to the battery, does the fan run? No, then that's the problem.
If yes, then on the radiator there will be a switch, (usually brass, often with a rubber boot on the back), which is the fan switch. Remove the connector from the switch and use a bit of wire to connect the two terminals on the wire together, with the ignition switched on the fan should run, if it does then the switch in the rad is duffed.
If no, then check there's battery voltage at the switch, (one of the wires will be batt+ when the ignition is on).
If no = wiring problem.

High beam light, (or anything else working intermittently), there are loose things somewhere.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-07, 12:56 PM   #3
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

On TLs there are two rad temp sensors, one is for the fan the other for the guage readout and ECU, depending on the year of TL determins the location of each sensor and the temp at which the fan sensor closes.

For the headlight, pull the front right panel off, there will be two yellow connector blocks, check for bad/corroded connections.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-07, 09:23 AM   #4
carlos

Plus don't forget that the TLs run hot anyway. IIRC the fans shouldn't kick in until somewhere around the 105C mark and the dash warning light at 120C. I thought my fans weren't working when stopped at the lights it climbed to about 102C - normal running on mine is 82-84C.

It might be the electrics are naffed but I wouldn't have a clue where to start with those, sorry.
Old 26-07-07, 11:50 AM   #5
fat_brstd

105 degrees is silly. ive had it up to 99 and i killed the engine cause i worried that it was too hot. never had a bike with a temp guage before so ivs got no idea what normal running temp is. cheers carlos i guess i will just have to wait untill it hits 105 to see if this fan works then.
Old 26-07-07, 12:02 PM   #6
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat_brstd View Post
105 degrees is silly. ive had it up to 99 and i killed the engine cause i worried that it was too hot. never had a bike with a temp guage before so ivs got no idea what normal running temp is. cheers carlos i guess i will just have to wait untill it hits 105 to see if this fan works then.
105 is nothing, some peeps TLs run cool others hot, depends on the year, the thermo was diffrent between them too.

You think that 105 was hot, my TT used to normaly see 105 on the commute to work and ive had it running at 110-115 though traffic. The Kwak sees 105 too, so its nothing much to worrey about, just dont let it keep rising above 120 if you can.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-07, 12:11 PM   #7
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Yeah, fans don't come on until over 100C normally. My Viffer fans kick in at 103C and go off at 94C. Normal running is about 80C.

HTH
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote