SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-06-07, 10:37 AM   #1
pencil shavings

Default Sat Navs

After getting really lost on Thursday and driving around for ages just trying to find how to get home I thought about getting a sat nav. Dose anyone have any experiance with these? TomTom do one just for bikes, Im sure others do it to.

http://www.tomtom.com/products/produ...lmsj25gvoneep2

Thanks for any advice.
Old 09-06-07, 10:40 AM   #2
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Default Re: Sat Navs

I've been thinking of one of these too but the thing that puts me off is that you have to pay to update them
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-07, 10:50 AM   #3
pencil shavings

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
I've been thinking of one of these too but the thing that puts me off is that you have to pay to update them
Really? That takes the @#*% especially as they cost so much in the first place! I did just find one for cheeper though
http://www.tomtom.com/products/produ...lmsj25gvoneep2

Last edited by pencil shavings; 09-06-07 at 10:50 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-06-07, 11:37 AM   #4
Gordon B

Get a tank bag and an atlas. Much cheaper IMO.
Old 09-06-07, 11:38 AM   #5
slark01

some discussions on satnav

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.p...t=loads+satnav
Old 09-06-07, 12:51 PM   #6
gettin2dizzy

Cheapest bike specific one - Tomtom Rider. They have just released a Rider 2, but theres not that many new features. Top of the range is the Garmin Zumo 550.
As for costs you pay to update the maps/speed camera locations. You can just use the old maps (which will be more than adequate).
I know theres this romantic idea of using maps to get around - thats easy on long journeys, but such a pain in the **** when doing rideouts in unfamiliar areas involving towns.
Old 09-06-07, 01:20 PM   #7
Baph

You also pay for TomTom Live (or that's what it used to be called anyway). Which means that the device will be fed information by TomTom (via your mobile phone usually, or the PC before you leave) about traffic works & road jams, then navigate you the quickest way to your destination taking those into consideration.
Old 09-06-07, 01:32 PM   #8
pencil shavings

thanks for the replies. I know that sat navs dont often give the quicket (or most direct route) but they offer peace of mind, dont they? I know how to get to all the important places, like my house/work/gf so its just for new places.

i think a tank bag would kind of ditract from the sexyness of my bike but i do agree, maps are the easy and best solution, but I hate having to get off to look at one!
Old 10-06-07, 12:49 PM   #9
kwak zzr

anyone know where i can get a cheap tomtom 1?
Old 10-06-07, 02:31 PM   #10
arenalife

Sat navs are great, you can go get yourself well lost then just choose the 'go home' function. They pick the same fastest routes I've always used and open your eyes to new ones. You don't have to pay a subscription unless you want the live services as described.

Maplin are doing one for £90, you could put it in a transparent tank bag or just put it in your pocket and listen to directions via an earpiece. I wouldn't pay the huge cost premium for the bike specific ones.