SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum



Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 14-11-17, 08:58 PM   #1
DomP
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Kington Herefordshire
Posts: 862
Default Insurance question again

Right as you may be aware ife put a deposit on a Daytona, as my sv insurance isn't due for renewal until early Feb I think what are my options to cover me on the daytona if only to get in 1.5hrs home.

My insurance company told me I'd be best leaving my sv insurance to run, start a new policy on the daytona and then add the no claims from the sv once it's up.

Make any sense?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
__________________
Black 2010 SV650S Fully faired
White 2011 YZF R125 sold
DomP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-17, 09:04 PM   #2
Red Herring
Member
Mega Poster
 
Red Herring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,596
Default Re: Insurance question again

I take it you've still got the SV?
Red Herring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-17, 09:06 PM   #3
DomP
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Kington Herefordshire
Posts: 862
Default Re: Insurance question again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
I take it you've still got the SV?
Yes I think I will advertise it in the new year, I would now if I thought I'd get a good price for it.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
__________________
Black 2010 SV650S Fully faired
White 2011 YZF R125 sold
DomP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-17, 09:13 PM   #4
Red Herring
Member
Mega Poster
 
Red Herring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,596
Default Re: Insurance question again

I've got several bikes on one policy, is that not an option for you? If your current insurance company won't cover both bikes, or extend the policy to cover both bikes for a day (or swop them) to allow you to get the other bike home I'd be tempted to pick up the phone and ring round a few other brokers. If you explain you have two bikes to insure with ten months no claims on your current policy there's a good chance you could pick up a favourable quote.
Red Herring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-17, 09:16 PM   #5
DomP
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Kington Herefordshire
Posts: 862
Default Re: Insurance question again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
I've got several bikes on one policy, is that not an option for you? If your current insurance company won't cover both bikes, or extend the policy to cover both bikes for a day (or swop them) to allow you to get the other bike home I'd be tempted to pick up the phone and ring round a few other brokers. If you explain you have two bikes to insure with ten months no claims on your current policy there's a good chance you could pick up a favourable quote.
I've got one year and 10 months ncd. Do you mean switching insurance companies before the current one is up?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
__________________
Black 2010 SV650S Fully faired
White 2011 YZF R125 sold
DomP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-17, 10:30 PM   #6
Red Herring
Member
Mega Poster
 
Red Herring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,596
Default Re: Insurance question again

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomP View Post
Do you mean switching insurance companies before the current one is up?
If you're current one won't give you want you need then yes. As per a recent thread on here discussing NCD it's not exactly a science following a mathematical formula, I'd be very surprised if a broker didn't give you the equivalent of two years with that history, especially if you were potentially bring two bikes worth of cover to them..... Look at the alternatives.

If you've got two bikes then you either need to have one uninsured, a policy that covers both, or two separate policies. You could take out an entirely new policy on the Triumph and let the SV one run on, but that will put you under real pressure to sell the SV come February, and if you really want to keep the Daytona for best as per your other thread then it might make sense to hang on to the SV.....? If you're not going to ride the Daytona until the Spring (hard if it's winking at you every time you go into the garage) you could see if you can get it delivered home and risk it being uninsured until you sell the SV, but do you really want to do that?

Personally I'd shop around for a broker that will cover both bikes on the one policy and if that means walking away from the last few months on the SV policy so be it. I'm with Carole Nash where I've got two policies, each covering four bikes. Neither costs over 250. That's got to be better value than trying to insure eight separate bikes....!
Red Herring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-17, 10:33 PM   #7
DomP
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Kington Herefordshire
Posts: 862
Default Re: Insurance question again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
If you're current one won't give you want you need then yes. As per a recent thread on here discussing NCD it's not exactly a science following a mathematical formula, I'd be very surprised if a broker didn't give you the equivalent of two years with that history, especially if you were potentially bring two bikes worth of cover to them..... Look at the alternatives.

If you've got two bikes then you either need to have one uninsured, a policy that covers both, or two separate policies. You could take out an entirely new policy on the Triumph and let the SV one run on, but that will put you under real pressure to sell the SV come February, and if you really want to keep the Daytona for best as per your other thread then it might make sense to hang on to the SV.....? If you're not going to ride the Daytona until the Spring (hard if it's winking at you every time you go into the garage) you could see if you can get it delivered home and risk it being uninsured until you sell the SV, but do you really want to do that?

Personally I'd shop around for a broker that will cover both bikes on the one policy and if that means walking away from the last few months on the SV policy so be it. I'm with Carole Nash where I've got two policies, each covering four bikes. Neither costs over 250. That's got to be better value than trying to insure eight separate bikes....!
I'm with carole nash as well, I think it's probably best I make a phone call.

Eight bikes, that's plain greedy!

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
__________________
Black 2010 SV650S Fully faired
White 2011 YZF R125 sold
DomP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-17, 07:43 AM   #8
Red Herring
Member
Mega Poster
 
Red Herring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,596
Default Re: Insurance question again

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomP View Post

Eight bikes, that's plain greedy!
It just demonstrates my weak will and complete inability to let anything go.....
Red Herring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-17, 07:49 AM   #9
DomP
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Kington Herefordshire
Posts: 862
Default Re: Insurance question again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
It just demonstrates my weak will and complete inability to let anything go.....
They may well pay off in the future as the classic 'barn find'

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
__________________
Black 2010 SV650S Fully faired
White 2011 YZF R125 sold
DomP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-17, 10:06 AM   #10
ophic
Member
Mega Poster
 
ophic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Whyteleafe
Posts: 3,298
Default Re: Insurance question again

You can get daily temporary insurance cover, but it doesn't help for road tax purposes.
__________________
Silver SV650SK3, Fuel exhaust
ophic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Insurance Question jamesterror Bikes - Talk & Issues 4 21-03-09 10:53 PM
Insurance question Davie Bikes - Talk & Issues 2 16-06-08 12:51 PM
Yet another insurance question Skip Bikes - Talk & Issues 12 17-04-08 11:34 AM
Insurance Question sweepdoggydog Bikes - Talk & Issues 12 11-07-06 06:52 PM
insurance question Wiltshire7 Bikes - Talk & Issues 14 23-04-05 08:23 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.