SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-03-13, 09:45 PM   #1
MuffySV

Default Which weight fork springs?

About to order my springs and I just need a confirmation that I have made the right choice. I think I need .8 springs. I weigh 9stone naked so not a heavy rider. Do you think I should use .8 or .85 riding on the street.

Just ordered Race Tech valves and an Nitron shock. Giving the suspension the treatment it needs as I using the bike for another year or two.

Ben
Old 15-03-13, 11:09 PM   #2
Runako

Default Re: About to order my springs

If you're ordering from Nitron why not ask them to confirm spring rate? Also, best to give the weight fully geared. Also, don't say 'Naked' ... I'm a visual sort of bloke
Old 16-03-13, 03:47 PM   #3
otaylor38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runako View Post
If you're ordering from Nitron why not ask them to confirm spring rate? Also, best to give the weight fully geared. Also, don't say 'Naked' ... I'm a visual sort of bloke
Lolling at your creepy little comment at the end there
Old 16-03-13, 04:01 PM   #4
MJC-DEV

I would say 0.8 if you get them. for example K-Tech lowest is 0.85 which I have for my 11st. These seem to work perfectly for me.
Old 16-03-13, 08:48 PM   #5
MuffySV

Oh. I thought they did .8. Would keeping the standard springs and maybe use a thicker oil work better than going for .85 with my weight.

Ben
Old 16-03-13, 09:05 PM   #6
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

K-techs lowest is 0.85. I ran a 0.9 spring at 15 stone in gear. An orger ran 0.95 at 20st in leathers and was fine (granted the voodoo inside was a work on art).

The stock springs at around 0.73

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-13, 09:45 PM   #7
embee
Mega Poster

I think you'll find 0.85 will be fine. Yes it'll be firm but as long as you don't go overboard on the oil it won't feel harsh. I have 0.85 k-techs in my curvey, pleasant for me at 12st but wouldn't be too much for 9 or 10st, it's still supple.
Old 17-03-13, 09:02 AM   #8
MJC-DEV

I agree with the above, 0.85 should be OK. I would not suggest heavier oil as tired it and was really bad. The best solution for me was emulators and RSF Pro 10W. If you are getting RacTech emulators then I think they recommend the oil weight to use. You can also get Race-tech springs I think at 0.8.
You can always ask Steve Jordan Motorcycles for advice as they do front end upgrades.