SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 18-03-20, 11:31 AM   #7991
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Family all home. We don't know if we're ill or not. All started because son had a hacking cough, but also a cold which is not part of the C-virus apparently. So he may have something else? I had a night of feeling really hot, but no actual temperature, just towards the upper end of normal and waking up really clammy several times, feeling very odd. No one has an actual temperature in our house. I felt very detached yesterday but maybe over analysing it? A couple of days of a very mild tickly cough where I feel like I want to exhale a lot when it starts, but not persistent and only at a couple of points in the day.

So we're not sure what is going on or if we are really ill, but now have to self isolate for a week or two? My wife is employed but her sick pay / wages drop dramatically over time when she's off ill. I am self employed so no pay or compenstation at all. We're in the situation where I might have to be back at work in a week or we're in trouble. My work I do at home won't be paid until sometime late April and I don't have enough parts for wheel building to sustain for that long either as supply chains are already screwed and delayed for other (b* word) reasons.

If we don't actually have the C-virus and then do get it a later date then my wife's sick pay will all but have evapourated by then being used up this time.
The gov / nhs really need to start being able to test for this. Partly because apparently there's been quite a lot of asymptomatic infection where people show no signs but test positive and have spread it without realising.

Meanwhile all the pubs on our high street are full. The only people on the roads near us seem to be elderly people driving very very carefully and builders vans / labourers who no doubt can't afford to take time off or work at home.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-20, 11:50 AM   #7992
Luckypants
Mega Poster

The whole family must self isolate for 14 days. Sorry, but you must stay home to prevent further spread.

I agree that there should be testing, but how do you test 60M people? Not to mention the panickers who will want to be tested multiple times!

Hope it goes OK for you.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-20, 11:58 AM   #7993
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Not sure how we'll get food during that time? We haven't panic bought like everyone else. We won't have money to buy it either by that point.
Old 18-03-20, 12:13 PM   #7994
Kenzie

The 2020 UK toilet roll hunt continues....

Sent from my Xperia using Tapatalk
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-20, 12:16 PM   #7995
Bibio
Mega Poster

everyone is going to get the CV (if you haven't already), but 99% of the population will survive. its a two week incubation just like most viruses so by the time anything can be done the damage is already done.

the symptoms are the flu.

think about what you done two weeks ago and till now?
how many people have you come in contact with in that time?
think about how many door handles, shopping trolley's etc.etc you have touched in that time...

the upshot is if your healthy and fit then you might not even contract CV and even if you do you might not even show symptoms and it will pass through your body just like you would a flu or common cold etc.etc.

the problem is that the CV is very easy to pass on and contract hence all the panic as it could bring the country to a halt for a few months as it runs its course.

with it being a virus there is no cure and you cant get inoculated if you already have it.

as for panic buying.. if you have done that then you are an asskole of the first order and you should be ashamed of yourself.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-20, 12:26 PM   #7996
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

I'm in the same boat as a lot of people on here. I cannot afford to self isolate for 14 days. It'll potentially bankrupt me.

I've known about cv for the last month as I've been hammered financially with less work

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-20, 12:48 PM   #7997
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

We are self isolating, not out of feeling too ill to get out, but to not be a spreader just in case. Not sure how long realistically we can do it for though. After a week our finances will start to be difficult but not impossible. After two weeks it will take a while to recover. Any longer than that if the shop I work at has to close for a while we'll be in big trouble. That's the problem of the current work climate with so many people living hand to mouth on minimum wage and insecure contracts, self employed to avoid companies having costs etc. We are vicitim to all of that and only just get by in the good times.

As for food, we haven't panic bought but it appears everyone else in our area has and continues to do so. Seeing people tipping whole trays of tins etc into trolleys the other evening made me really want to shout at them for being so selfish. I can undertand over 70s who are preparing to not have to go out needing to stock up, but the people I saw doing it were young selfish idiots.

We have a home delivery ordered so we can avoid going out and continue self isolating just in case what we have is the virus. The only problem is the next available slot is April 6th. We'll be out of food in just over a week if my (turning into a teenager) son keeps inhaling food the way growing kids do!
Old 18-03-20, 01:47 PM   #7998
Bibio
Mega Poster

thats the problem "hand to mouth". people wont self isolate as they cant coz they are skint but instead go out and cough all over other people and the food in shops.

i personally think its about time we sent China to the naughty corner.. think about how many of these viruses have come out of China in the past 10 years.. pretty much all of them is the answer. so unless China gets its act together and closes its borders the moment they know about a "new" virus then the rest of the world should teach them a lesson and isolate them.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-20, 02:44 PM   #7999
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post

We have a home delivery ordered so we can avoid going out and continue self isolating just in case what we have is the virus. The only problem is the next available slot is April 6th. We'll be out of food in just over a week if my (turning into a teenager) son keeps inhaling food the way growing kids do!
Larger supermarkets like Tesco, Asda and Sainsbury's probably have 'click and collect' building or tent in the carpark and if you have a vehicle it may be a good alternative to waiting for delivery slot. It minimizes the contact between customers and other customers and customers and staff and because you already paid online just grab and go...

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-20, 02:58 PM   #8000
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Larger supermarkets like Tesco, Asda and Sainsbury's probably have 'click and collect' building or tent in the carpark and if you have a vehicle it may be a good alternative to waiting for delivery slot. It minimizes the contact between customers and other customers and customers and staff and because you already paid online just grab and go...

Top tip. Hadn't thought of that. We'll look into it. Cheers.