SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-07-05, 11:43 AM   #1
Sudoxe

Default Engine noise

Rideing along this morning, and my bike starts making a cruch/grind/knocking type noise. Pull over take a look nothing obvious.
Wait a while for the engine to cool down, still the same.

The noise seems to happen after 3k, so i rode home, very slowly at very low revs.

Just done an oil change with Jordan, and it's still doing the same thing. One thing to note is that very little oil come out of the bike. Which is odd, because i did one a month or so ago, and it took the full 2.xl of oil.

Jordan agreed that its a very strange noise....

So, any tips or "It be knackered"

Im going to try not to ride it, but its my only transport

Dan
Old 10-07-05, 01:36 PM   #2
Mike1234

Pull the generator cover off the engine.

If the noise is really bad it's quite likely that your crank has broken just behind the generator housing.

There seems to be a weak spot the that is made worse due to oil starvation if a bike has run on it's side for any length of time.

If that's the case then it's new engine time. You've probably only bent a few valves but the cost of another crank, shells, etc. mean it isn't really worth the cost of the repair.
Old 10-07-05, 04:11 PM   #3
RandyO

Default Re: Engine noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudoxe
Rideing along this morning, and my bike starts making a cruch/grind/knocking type noise. Pull over take a look nothing obvious.
Wait a while for the engine to cool down, still the same.

The noise seems to happen after 3k, so i rode home, very slowly at very low revs.

Just done an oil change with Jordan, and it's still doing the same thing. One thing to note is that very little oil come out of the bike. Which is odd, because i did one a month or so ago, and it took the full 2.xl of oil.

Jordan agreed that its a very strange noise....

So, any tips or "It be knackered"

very little oil came out? do you ever check your oil level? add as necessary?

Im going to try not to ride it, but its my only transport

Dan
Old 10-07-05, 08:36 PM   #4
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

It certainly doesn't sound good, but I can't see how the crank/generator can have broken/come loose, as even though it makes a duff noise it still runs, (badly), seeing as the ignition pick up is on the generator rotor if that wasn't spinning the motor wouldn't run at all.
The thing that concerns me is that there was no, or at least very little, oil in it when you changed it again. That's not going to have done the bearings any good at all, however if it seems OK under three thousand RPM there is room for a certain, (limited), amount of optimism, it could just be something loose.
Despite being your only transport, I really must advise that you don't ride it until it's been checked by someone who will be able to make a reasoned diagnosis of what's amiss.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-05, 09:22 PM   #5
Sudoxe

Thankyou Dr Squid.

I will not ride the motorcycle until I get someone to check it out for me

Dan
Old 10-07-05, 10:23 PM   #6
Mike1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid
It certainly doesn't sound good, but I can't see how the crank/generator can have broken/come loose, as even though it makes a duff noise it still runs, (badly), seeing as the ignition pick up is on the generator rotor if that wasn't spinning the motor wouldn't run at all.
The thing that concerns me is that there was no, or at least very little, oil in it when you changed it again. That's not going to have done the bearings any good at all, however if it seems OK under three thousand RPM there is room for a certain, (limited), amount of optimism, it could just be something loose.
I was about to say I hope it is jsut bearings but the end result is the same at the end of the day.

On the crank issue I know of at least one guy who managed a couple of laps of Brands Hatch on full throttle despite the crank going. The bike did eventually stop after the flywheel had eaten most of the generator.

Good luck!
Old 10-07-05, 10:25 PM   #7
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1234
On the crank issue I know of at least one guy who managed a couple of laps of Brands Hatch on full throttle despite the crank going. The bike did eventually stop after the flywheel had eaten most of the generator.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote